Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 VHF Bargain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/28/2019 :  10:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In case anyone is in the market, Defender has a fixed-mount VHF from Simrad (same as B&G and Lowrance) that has built-in GPS and AIS receivers. It can interface with a chartplotter via NMEA 0183 or 2000 to show an AIS vessel or one issuing a DSC distress call on the plotter. Then AIS can give you name, course, speed and other stuff on your screen (and on the radio's display). The built-in GPS allows a DSC distress call to include your coordinates without the radio being interfaced to a chartplotter.

This is model is RS35, which is being replaced by the RS40, which does about the same stuff for $619 at Defender--but they've discounted the RS35 from $400 down to $172 ($164 during this weekend's sale). There's also a package that includes a wireless mike. All other radios with this functionality are from $600 to over $1000.

I'm picking mine up next week. I have no connection with Simrad, Navico, or Defender, except that my multifunction chartplotter and broadband radar are Simrads. That will make the NMEA connection even simpler.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/28/2019 10:47:03

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 03/29/2019 :  13:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw it recently too, however it's for US market only.

From the website: This model is for shipping within the Americas only. Does not conform to REGULATION EN 301 025 (V2.21)

Just have quick qestion, what do you have to pay for radio registration and yearly fee for VHF frequency usage?

Here in Czech Republic, the registration of the radio costs $130 and $52 yearly. Yes crazy
In UK, it's free.

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 03/29/2019 13:33:53
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2019 :  08:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tomas... There's no registration or licensing in the US of VHF up to 25(?)watts transmit for marine use (meaning no communication with shore stations other than the Coast Guard and licensed operators like towing services). We can, however, obtain a free registration number (MMSI) from the US Coast Guard so that our vessel information can come up on their screens automatically when we use the distress calling feature of a DSC (Digital Selective Calling) VHF radio. DSC also gives them and any other DSC radios in the vicinity your exact location if GPS is built in or one is connected to the radio. If the receiving radio is interfaced to a chart plotter, the boat in distress will show right on the chart. (I'm a fan!)

By the way, Navico (Simrad, B&G and Lowrance brands here) is a Norwegian company, and probably has similar models for the EU market, suggesting the equivalent of the US's Simrad RS35 might be closing out with the release of the RS40. It could be under any of their brands. I don't know how DSC distress calling works over there, but if you're interested in a radio with GPS and AIS built in, you might want to keep your eyes open for a similar opportunity.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/30/2019 08:16:32
Go to Top of Page

cudamank
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2019 :  15:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is an old thread, however, I do see they are still on sale. Did you install yours, and how does it perform for you?

John

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2019 :  06:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't gotten to it yet--still have the old non-GPS, non-AIS radio installed. I want to add a network that will integrate the radio with my plotter for touch-screen AIS function and display of the location of a distress caller. The old one gets me through the bridges and warns me of submarines entering/leaving New London (sometimes). I suspect Defender bought Navico's entire inventory of the RS35 when the RS40 (not that different) came out. When I first checked on the sale, they had something like 200 of the RS35s.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2019 :  17:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve always put Standard Horizon radios on my boats, and have been happy with them. What are your opinions of Standard Horizon vs Simrad?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2019 :  06:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

...What are your opinions of Standard Horizon vs Simrad?

I have two Standard Horizon handhelds--the most recent an HX870 with built-in GPS for distress calling--I also picked that up on sale when the model was replaced by the very similar HX890. Their products are fine, but the closest one to my fixed-mount Simrad with the AIS receiver is something like $500 or more. (I tend to run a half-step behind the state-of-the-art. )

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/08/2019 06:20:59
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2019 :  21:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

...What are your opinions of Standard Horizon vs Simrad?

I have two Standard Horizon handhelds--the most recent an HX870 with built-in GPS for distress calling--I also picked that up on sale when the model was replaced by the very similar HX890. Their products are fine, but the closest one to my fixed-mount Simrad with the AIS receiver is something like $500 or more. (I tend to run a half-step behind the state-of-the-art. )

Thank you, Dave.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page