Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 High Moisture In Foredeck
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2019 :  18:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without doing moisture meter readings my deck "feels" secure. The moisture readings indicate issues. The frustrating thing is how high the readings are, how relatively quickly they escalated, and the implications, such as paint (non-skid) not sticking because of moisture migrating through the deck. Overall, the life lesson is that older fiberglass boats do have issues . . . but . . . . are they serious structural or just inconvenient. A final comment: one person I spoke with said in wooden boats you WANT moisture to swell the wood and close seams, etc, Maybe some moisture is not all that bad -- or???? Only time will tell.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2019 :  19:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep wondering... I'm dubious about moisture being "trapped" by bedding hardware--bedding keeps the worst out, and without it a lot more will go in as water than can come out in moisture in air. If the moisture from above is, in practical terms, unavoidable, then how about ventilating the core from below (in the cabin)--maybe with just a few inconspicuous holes in the inner liner toward the lower sides of the decks. That and a solar vent to hold down the interior humidity at night might, over long periods, stabilize the levels between the inner and outer fiberglass and in the plywood between them. I don't believe the plywood is tight to both sides. I suspect ventilating from below, while not eliminating moisture, might extend the stiffening of plywood--what can it hurt?

But more generally, I agree that the C-25 is well built--perhaps over-built for its intended purpose. The external laminate is relatively solid, and the arched deck and interior bulkheads stiffen it further. The plywood was probably substantially stronger than needed, and even when softened, will maintain some stiffness just by filling the gap between the inner and outer shells (like corrugated paper does in cardboard boxes). As your advisers suggested, Catalina built a more solid vessel than its direct competitors--I remember a dealer at a boat show demonstrating and letting me try "oil-canning" a Hunter hull, and then asking me to try that on a Catalina--it was like a rock. I suspect the deck laminates compare similarly. Your boat will probably give you a good time for as long as you need.

If I still had my '85 and wanted to keep it for "the duration", I might have run some Captain Tolley's around the tops of the rub-rail, window frames, and a few other suspicious areas... Then I'd go sailing! I suspect a solar vent would help by pulling down the interior moisture level that might contribute to the laminate and core issues from the less well sealed interior. At least it could't hurt. Night-time ventilation reduces relative humidity and condensation inside, thereby maybe increasing evaporation in the decks.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/07/2019 19:41:48
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2019 :  09:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brief update: Shrink wrap off and boat exposed to weather for a week or so and all moisture measurements were lower by between 3 and 7%. It would appear that either colder temperatures or ambient moist air under the shrink wrap may impact readings. So use of a moisture meter be best done when boat is exposed to normal weather.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2019 :  10:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like good news Peter. Even with our Seattle-like weather here in Connecticut this spring, it’ll probably continue to dry out. The shrink wrap could’ve been the main issue.

Just wondering, do you have any low tech weather gauges aboard like a hygrometer? I have one aboard Passage on it usually reads between 60 and 85% depending on the weather.

Usually in July -September during our traditionally drier weather that will drop by about 5-10% but it’s always higher than ambient conditions, so it’s pretty clear that the boat holds moisture.

I used to think it was mostly standing water in the bilges, but it could be due to dampness in the core.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 05/19/2019 10:03:02
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2019 :  16:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check it in July or August.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  10:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will -- and even more frequently. This has become a very interesting topic for me as it seems to be one of those areas where the fear of moisture may just be fog!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  12:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete, For all we know it's probably very common in boats that are 30+ yrs. Mine might be the same way. I just never had it tested. After seeing how this has distressed you I think I'll take the 'I don't want to know' approach.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/20/2019 12:16:15
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  12:50:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott -- your approach is a good one.

At this point I am not distressed at all, but somewhat miffed about the misinformation on the topic. Surveyors and "pundits" all claim that if a boat has moisture it is spoiled goods that require herculean repair efforts if you own the boat, or should be avoided at all costs if you are shopping. Reality is, all boats have some level of moisture in structural parts and yet keep on going. Not sure if it is a holdover from when moisture in a wooden boat could easily become structural rot. Regardless, over the years I have walked away from boats because a survey revealed "excessive moisture" in decks. I may have missed out on some great boats! My interest in this topic is fueled by where the moisture meter is reading moisture (not near any deck mounted hardware) and how it appears to change. The true test is how solid are the decks, is there crazing is stress load locations, and if they have "give" and if so where and why.

So to at least me, the concerns about moisture is way overplayed. If there is a real problem with a boat you will know, in the mean time just keep sailing!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2019 :  17:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are probably about as accurate as the two (2) - $100+ blood pressure machines I've purchased in the past! Not very close to what the doctor gets in his office (even taking it in the doctor's office right after he does it).

The last time we compared the newest machine I had purchased to what he was getting he told me to reduce the number on my machine by 15 points.

AND... I NEVER get the same reading even when taking it multiple times one after another (can vary by 10 or more points).

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page