Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Shortening long jib car tracks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

exf4gib
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/28/2019 :  21:43:09  Show Profile
My C-25 came equipped with jib car tracks that run from almost abaft the mast to the transom cleats. I suspect this rig is to support using a spinnaker. The aft end of the tracks aren't fitted with end caps and are playing havoc with my aft dock lines (sharp ends cutting into dock line loops). I've sewn leather chafe guards for the interim. I'm considering trimming these tracks short of the scupper drains just aft of the winch mounts, and will install end caps to finish off the work. Has anyone come across this issue? If ‘yes', does this "fix” appear sound? I likely will never fly a ‘chute on "Lifted", but I also wouldn’t want to eliminate her capability should a future owner wish to do so. For those of you who do fly a ‘chute on a C-25, What is a recommended max length aft to trim the jib car track?

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2019 :  08:46:28  Show Profile
Why not just add end caps now?

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2019 :  14:13:02  Show Profile
Hi Derek. Sadly, the jib rails were "finished" such that the aft ends (last 3/4" are unbedded). This seems unlikely for Catalina factory work. In any case, the only way to install end caps is to trim back the rails to bedded area. Would only require trimming the rails a couple inches at the most. To match existing hols, I'd measure before hand to avoid having to drill an addition hole, which I'm not keen on doing to my "Lifted".

Arnie W.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2019 :  14:25:38  Show Profile
I think cutting off a couple inches of the track and installing an end cap would be one reasonable solution.

Another alternative would be to put garden hose on your docklines to prevent chafe.

Another possible remedy would be to grind the sharp edges off the end of the track, rounding it off, but you'd have to be careful to protect the gelcoat from the grinder.

I think removing the track as far forward as the winches would be unnecessary to achieve your goal of preventing chafing of the aft docklines, and would involve a lot of work.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2019 :  10:15:44  Show Profile
Thanks Steve. My inclination is to go with your first suggestion. Easiest and least invasive.

Arnie W.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page