Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Inboard Boom End Cap and Gooseneck
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SFDavey
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/30/2018 :  14:14:08  Show Profile
Prepping to step the mast and went through the process of removing the boom. It’s an “original” boom as near as I can tell from the architectural drawings. The inboard hood end cap is in fair/poor condition, but the gooseneck is SHOT. Very badly worn. Terrible design in the first place, but that’s besides the point.

Catalina Direct new end cap will not fit the boom. Went to the website and it specifically made clear that their replacement would not fit my boom specifically.

Looking for options besides complete replacement of everything. I’m not 100% certain that the end cap and gooseneck combo I currently have are original, but they are certainly work and recobbled together enough to be.

Anyone got a magic honey hole for Capri 25 parts you would be willing to share?

David
Capri 25, Hull #40

SFDavey
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2018 :  15:29:56  Show Profile
I forgot to mention, the gooseneck to mast connection is a fixed style one, not the sliding style.

I’m considering swapping to the sliding stay, but have a directly related question: What besides the boom vang, keeps the sliding assembly from sliding up? Is see the “down haul” hole, but I was hoping to have that on top for reefing. Considering how often I actually reef the main, probably better to use as intended.

Thanks again,
David

David
Capri 25, Hull #40

Edited by - SFDavey on 12/30/2018 16:06:03
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2018 :  15:58:35  Show Profile
David, It does not sound like you have a factory configuration. You need to look up the "Boom Assembly" drawing on this site. The gooseneck should be free to slide up and down the mast. I do not think a fixed boom would meet the class standards. Now look up the "Rigging Diagram Mainsheet, Boom Vang, Cunningham, Fwd Reef Point". That drawing shows the Cunningham which is used to tension the luff of the sail and also serves to keep the boom from sliding up the mast along with the boom vang. Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction. If the drawings are not on this website anymore, I've got copies of them.

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

SFDavey
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2018 :  16:26:10  Show Profile
Thanks for the input Joe.

quote:
Originally posted by joearcht

David, It does not sound like you have a factory configuration. If the drawings are not on this website anymore, I've got copies of them.

The boom configuration drawing is still in the website as one of the “Select Architectural Drawings”, but there’s not a drawing that shows the typical configuration of the cunningham, vang, reef points, etc. If you could share that drawing, I’d appreciate it.

I would not be surprised at all if what I have is a heavily modified version. The boom itself looks like it has had no less than three different configurations for the outhaul and reefing outhaul during the course of the boom’s life. It’s still very sound with no distortions, cracks, etc.

David
Capri 25, Hull #40
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2018 :  16:52:23  Show Profile
I pui it in my dropbox.

Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7nvulvglehkdh62/AACEmsNlBWCtGbRcmeZSFST5a?dl=0

This should help you get back to a standard configuration.
Good Luck

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

SFDavey
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2018 :  18:04:27  Show Profile
Got it! Thanks!

I’m still vague on how the reefing hooks get incorporated into the final product, but like I said, I’ll worry about that part later.

Regards, David

David
Capri 25, Hull #40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page