Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Main sail standard ordering.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/26/2018 :  09:36:27  Show Profile
I got a new mainsail on order!

I have never ordered a sail before except for my Hobie Cats & wind surfers with a standard check a box order, no measuring.

I ordered from Precision a new main sail for my Catalina 25, #5234, as my old main sail is the 1986 original (but working fine) and its time for a new sail.

Precision sails wants me to measure the sail and send in some info, but when we measure our sail its not to original dimensions anymore, I think the rope shrunk. It measures short, but how taught do you have it to measure? Tight like when hoisted I figure.

I just want a standard replacement.

Am I correct that the standard size was/is 24.66' and 9.58' for a standard rig?

The sail ordered is just like the original, half batons, single reef, but sliders in the foot vs rope attaching to the boom, no rope attaching to the mast (although I use sliders and not the rope).

My concern is measuring will duplicate a old sail vs. a new sail. I haven't spoken with Precision about this yet..I wanted to talk with you all first.

I haven't sent in the info yet, just placed the order and Precision sent the forms - just wanted some advise on ordering it clearly. Not many sailors here in Colorado to ask questions about this.

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2018 :  10:44:33  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Eric,

I have no experience with Precision Sails so can offer no opinion about them. I buy my sails from National Sails, (Rolly Tasker). And have always been happy with their service and quality as well as their price and speed of delivery. They know Catalina boats very well and will most likely never ask you for measurements,(as long as you are sure your boat is still stock). I would check with them before completing your order with Precision. As I see it, the only reason to need to measure would be if you want or need something "custom". Sail sizes are determined (pretty much) by the boats I J P E measurements. Not by the old sail. In the case of your mail sail, only the E and P measurements are important. If it were me, if the maker you are dealing with doesn't know these measurements, I would be going to someone else. but thats me. I checked National sails for you a standard rig main with top two battens full is priced at $659. Add $45. for an insignia and maybe a bit more for sail numbers. Best of luck with your choice.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2018 :  07:59:15  Show Profile
My understanding is that a sail maker would never use your old sail measurements.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2018 :  11:00:32  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I have read some reviews of precision sails. You may want to read them. I've ordered three sails from national sail supply (rolly tasker) they already have measurements for a c25. I just got a new main for my hunter and we had to measure the rig nothing real hard, just hoist a tape measure with the halyard get the luff and leech that way. Here is what they had me measure.

I can send the pdf if you need to read the text.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com

Edited by - dasreboot on 11/27/2018 11:10:14
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2018 :  11:07:41  Show Profile
Measurements are available in the Manuals & Brochures tab on the left. http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/owners9.gif

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2018 :  14:17:13  Show Profile
I bought from Precision Sails for a Ranger 26-2 that I race on, and the measurements were pretty easy and the sails seem to be just fine. We went with Precision because we were on a budget (3 crew members splitting costs 3 ways), although we did go with tri-radial for both sails. for my own boat I went North, tri-radial, and the North rep came out and measured, then came out and put the sails on when they were finished. the folks at Precision were easy to work with, and very open to questions and explaining things. I would have no problem ordering from them again.

Ben
Beneteau 361
Viking Kitty
Columbus, Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2018 :  16:44:29  Show Profile
Thanks all, your responses are what I was thinking.

I did read the reviews on Precision but they were from a few years ago, and one of the other guys in our marina who sails just about every day said he used them and ordered again this year from Precision. I'll give him a call and tell him the standard measurements - my old sail is too used to make a pattern from.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2018 :  08:39:56  Show Profile
The one place where a sailmaker wants to know the three dimensions of your old sail is for a jib/genoa. If it's for a roller furler, the luff will vary based on how that's rigged (such as the height of a restraining block on the mast). The leech and foot can vary depending on how high you want the clew--lower for performance, higher for visibility. The only dimensional variable I can think of for the main is the size of the roach. A few folks here have had racing mains made with larger roaches, which are class-legal but can be a pain get past the backstay in light air. A sailmaker familiar with the C-25 will know the correct shape of a "normal" roach for the boat.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2018 :  13:56:58  Show Profile
Sail dimensions are in the Owners Manual (can download from our site) and most sail makers have a catalog of sail dimensions for "popular" boats, which at close to 6,000 hulls our boats fit into. Don't know Precision Sail, I am sure they are fine. I have used Ullman/Ventura as Gary is a Catalina expert (lots of advice based on where I sail, experience, etc.) and their pricing has always been competitive with National, which is another fine source for sails.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2018 :  17:15:25  Show Profile
Ditto what previous posters have said. Do not give them your old sail measurement for the main. Use the class measurements as they reflect a maximum dimension. I would surely tell them you have a bit of worry they would not have the current class measurement available and you did not ask for a custom sail

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page