Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Fresh Water Head
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/24/2018 :  19:21:05  Show Profile
Now in my 12th season with Limerick, I am contemplating addressing the head. My boat's head is set up for raw water -- then into holding tank -- then pump-out. As I am on salt water allegedly the smell from the chemical reaction of salt water with contents of the holding tank can cause quite a stench. Equally, at 39 years in age I suspect the potable water tank ain't so potable, si i was contemplating having the boats fresh water tank plumbed tot he head and using bottled water for potable use. Has anyone installed a similar head system, and if so, how does it work and/or what should I be concerned with. My overall goal is to have no though hulls and a working head. All please opine!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2018 :  21:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
I know this isn't the response you're looking for, Peter, but this might be the time for you to rip out the holding tank and the flushing head and replace with a so-called "composting" toilet, like the Air Head or Nature's Head models. It's a major improvement. No through-hulls, no odors, no visits to the pump-out dock, and you recover stowage space where the holding tank had been. Just something to consider...

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  03:40:40  Show Profile
When I had a C25 we only carried bottled water for consumption/cooking. Also carried two or three gallon jugs of FW behind the head to use as flush water. I had always contemplated installing a second FW tank for flushing. Never did it.

I will second Lee Panza's advice. It would be an expensive upgrade for a C25, but well worth it. No holding tank, no need to carry extra water for flushing and gaining valuable space on a small boat.

I installed a Nature's Head on my Gemini. All of the above improvements, and I discovered that two people can get up to thirty days of use without the need to empty or get a pump-out. Especially helpful for anchoring out long term.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

RichardG
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  11:39:24  Show Profile
I made that exact improvement a bit ago.

I T'd off the fresh water source line under the quarterberth (because way easier access there), then ran it behind the fresh water tank, hanging locker, through the v-berth, then out from behind the toilet to a Whale Babyfoot pump (with built-in check valve). Then just a short tube over the edge of the toilet and taped under the rim so the water swirls properly around when pumping.

The pump works great, essentially all odor has been eliminated, and a boating friend says he has never smelled a cleaner head on a boat.

RichardG 81 FK/SR #2657
Terminal Island, CA
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  14:09:43  Show Profile
I've reported this before, but the short story is I have a Sealand 711--a sort of hybrid between a porta-potti and a marine head, with a 9 gallon tank that's plumbed to a deck pumpout fitting and fixed to the sole, and a ceramic bowl sitting on top. A pedal flushes, or when lifted up, puts water into the bowl. It uses an on-demand water pump drawing from the water tank, which might make this a bigger project than you'd prefer. But it's very simple for guests to use (which is probably 75% of its use), and has been totally odor free. I believe a variation uses the foot pedal to pump water in instead of relying on a pressurized supply. I can use a hose to spray directly into the tank to clean it during the season-end pumpout.

As I've also said, I'm not sure how it would fit into the compartment in a C-25, but measurements and other details are available on the Sealand site.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  17:29:35  Show Profile
Dave, that Dometic SeaLand marine head looks pretty nice. I like the 9 gallon holding tank and the fact that it uses only a pint of water per flush. Do you think there’d be a problem with a heavy person sitting on the throne, putting their weight on the tank? This might be a problem in cold weather since ABS plastic tends to harden and become brittle when cold?
I like the fact that there’s a pumpout that my local pumpout boat and gas dock can handle. It beats manually cleaning out the port-a-potty...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  08:44:08  Show Profile
Bruce: I doubt anyone who can fit in my head would weigh enough to break that tank--it's very heavy duty plastic and with its rounded edges should be structurally pretty sound--probably more so than the porta-potties I've known. BTW, you can get 5 gallon portables that have fittings for plumbing to a deck pump-out and vent--sort of poor-man's versions of what I have.

Something I like about mine is the seat height--more comfortable for an adult than most portables. That would be another thing to check relative to the platform in the C-25 where the head sits. (The dimensions of the tank are the other issue.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  08:56:45  Show Profile
Thanks for all the good input. A year or so back I had looked at the Airhead and my two concerns were the height based on my head configuration and the need for ongoing electrical for the fan. I may revisit Natures Head and Airhead again. Richard: that is the type of arrangement I was thinking of -- would love to know more here or offline. Dave: Will definitely look into the Sealand711 as well.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 10/26/2018 12:16:24
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  11:57:58  Show Profile
quote:
and the need for ongoing electrical for the fan.

If you are not using the head on a regular basis, you can shut the fan off. Nature's Head even recommends it ("do I need to run the fan all the time"):

https://natureshead.net/faqs/

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2018 :  17:56:50  Show Profile
On our 84 the sink drains into a tee fitting with the sea cock for the head. If you leave it shut you can put water in the sink via bottle or faucet and the head uses it to flush.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page