Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 sail Slide c250
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/13/2018 :  19:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/MTRoN4XD1ULeqn2IZWR0VmoFLFZQxNVEzW9Yth1vsLP

So the sail slides seem to be sewn onto the sail with a nylon strap...
I am I being accurate. I cant find the right nomenclature can someone help me out....

hope yo ucan see the images.

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2018 :  20:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found these, but our sail has 2 gromets sorta closer to each other.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/70_1514/sail-slide-stainless--shackle-set.cfm
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2018 :  15:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you will have one or the other:

Sewn strap:

Mechanical fastener:

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2019 :  23:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YES that's it right there! I will need to learn this technique so I dont have to take it to the sail shop when these fail in the future...THANK YOU!!!
quote:
Originally posted by WK 727

Vdot, I had to replace my slugs last year and they were sewn into the nylon strap. I got the heavy duty metal inserted ones from Catalina Direct. Then got the palm guard and sewing kit from Sailrite. Great videos on Youtube to provide guidance on resewing the straps. It was easy and only took a few hours to complete the project. I reused the nylon straps. Hope this helps, John

Go to Top of Page

wm36
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2019 :  09:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had to replace all of mine last year. They are the strap type like the post above. Local sail shop charged about $8 each. Less than $100 for the whole thing.

Wayne & Lynn
Hillsboro OR
1995 C250 WB #151
Go to Top of Page

frejoh
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2019 :  11:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our mainsail slugs were attached with a fabric loop. Based on a thread from years ago, we cut away the old plastic slug, then attached the new slug to the loop with a plastic/nylon shackle. These were available from Sailrite at low cost, much less than re-sewing the fabric loop, especially since the slugs will have to be replaced again, sooner or later.

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2019 :  11:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might be able to use one of these twisted shackles to attach a sail slide, but they come in a variety of sizes and you'd have to figure out what size you need. They're sold at Westmarine, but I'm not sure WM sells this brand in their store. You might have to order them online. The other brands are much more expensive. This brand is US Rigging. It's called a twisted shackle.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

bushav
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  06:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the twist is not needed. It would position the slide in a horizontal orientation.

I just installed the slide kit from CD. I eliminated the nylon straps and ignored one grommet in each pair. Hopefully this plan will work just fine.

Lane

Lane
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  09:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well here I am again. So BUSHAV do you have a picture of what you did? I am almost excited to cut away the the thread and sew a new lug in but anything that could make this a snap would be appreciated..
quote:
Originally posted by bushav

I think the twist is not needed. It would position the slide in a horizontal orientation.

I just installed the slide kit from CD. I eliminated the nylon straps and ignored one grommet in each pair. Hopefully this plan will work just fine.

Lane

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  11:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMHO I would cut those off and use the ones from CD that attach to the grommets. I have them and they are far superior to the sewn on ones. If one of your sewn on ones has failed then the others are not far behind. With these replacing a broken slug is a 10 min procedure that can be done on the water and wont ruin your day. Ok maybe 20 min. if its rough out. No need to take the sail to a loft or home and become Betsy Ross at the kitchen table. Remove the screw, Replace the slug, Tighten the screw.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  14:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah except I just replaced 3 of them ...but I am going to buy a handful of these and hope the two styppes play nice together on the mast. what do you think?
quote:
Originally posted by islander

IMHO I would cut those off and use the ones from CD that attach to the grommets. I have them and they are far superior to the sewn on ones. If one of your sewn on ones has failed then the others are not far behind. With these replacing a broken slug is a 10 min procedure that can be done on the water and wont ruin your day. Ok maybe 20 min. if its rough out. No need to take the sail to a loft or home and become Betsy Ross at the kitchen table. Remove the screw, Replace the slug, Tighten the screw.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  15:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For them to play nice together they would both have to position the slugs the same distance from the sail. That I can't answer.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/25/2019 15:43:27
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  16:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered some with the metal and some below. I will letcha know how well they work.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/45/span-stylefont-family-helveticafont-size-12px-sail-slide-plastic-amp-shackle-brsetspan.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page