Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 What do you love about your boat?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/21/2018 :  09:07:30  Show Profile
I love that it’s my place to share with my family and friends.
I love that it’s an affordable slice of heaven.
I love that she was well cared for by the previous owners and that I’ve been able to maintain her in great shape.
I love that she’ll heel over to 20° and go 5.2 knots in a 12 knot breeze.
What’s your experience?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 09/21/2018 09:08:20

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2018 :  13:51:53  Show Profile
Ok, Mmm love the fact that it's returned us to the dock so far without sinking or breaking down, So far.
Love the tiny fuel bill.
Love the smiles it's given me.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2018 :  20:12:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

...without sinking...

My C25 was my first boat that stayed in the water when not in use. When I first bought her, I was pleasantly surprised whenever I returned to the slip and saw that she hadn't sunk.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2018 :  20:43:45  Show Profile
This is a great question, Bruce. It really is nice to be prompted for positive thinking.

I love getting away on a weekday during the spring or fall when wind and temperature are so very pleasant. A day sail in fair weather with no other boat nearby is idyllic. I am fortunate to have a somewhat flexible schedule and a couple of friends who have the same, especially the retired guy who sponsored me into the boat club - at 78, he's still a healthy old rogue who can lift and carry my toolbox off the boat, and likes the rail in the water and a glass full of black rum. For me, there's nothing better than someone else prompting you to take off and go sail.

I love taking the kids (and sometimes my wife) on overnight or weekend trips. We anchor near a protected and secluded beach. I enjoy testing the ground tackle. My wife and kids swim and walk the sand while I cook on the grill and drink rum in the cockpit.

I love upgrading the systems on my boat, and knowing where everything is and how it works. I also love having most of the tools I might need and many spare parts aboard.

I love the few times that my wife and I have been able to cruise for a week while my mom keeps the kids. Our cruising goals for each day were only to sail to a new restaurant for lunch or dinner, then sail to a new anchorage for the night.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2018 :  06:05:32  Show Profile
I love my Catalina 25 so much I take it with me everywhere I go

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2018 :  14:44:22  Show Profile
ALL of the above...plus - for me - it is the one place on this good earth where NO ONE else can tell me what to do...I am a benevolent skipper, but I never need to negotiate when aboard ship...

Jerry

Edited by - jerlim on 09/24/2018 14:44:57
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2018 :  09:06:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jerlim

...it is the one place on this good earth where NO ONE else can tell me what to do...
You haven't been boarded by the USCG.

As a P.O. of Bruce's Passage, I loved all of those things!

As a current owner on the Dark Side, I love exploring more places on day trips of even a few hours, being able to "sleep two and party 10", being able to go out in almost any conditions, running the windshield wipers as needed, taking folks for tours and cocktail cruises on the Mystic River, knowing most of the bridge operators and commercial captains in Mystic via VHF, getting home through a fog bank via GPS and radar, and even sitting in the cockpit in my slip outside my condo watching sunsets, egrets and herons fishing off our dock, and ospreys hitting the water (and wondering how they survive it). My challenge these days is to burn enough gas to be able to refill most of the tank once before winter haul-out.

Sarge approaching her home.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/25/2018 09:12:12
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2018 :  11:48:50  Show Profile
Dave, you've got that 100% correct...haven't had the pleasure of hosting the Coasties yet...

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2018 :  11:53:16  Show Profile
Dave, you've got that 100% correct...haven't had the pleasure of hosting the Coasties yet...

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2018 :  12:14:26  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
if the CG tells you to heave to, should you actually heave to?

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2018 :  13:07:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

if the CG tells you to heave to, should you actually heave to?

I wouldn't expect them to assume you know how to heave to, and it might not make it easier for them to board. I've been boarded twice, in the traffic channel with moorings on both sides and a tidal current on the Mystic River. (The CG Academy and a base are nearby.) They stepped on and off while I was under way to maintain steerage. I've never seen them do it to a boat under sail in open water, but you could probably negotiate the best move with them, like starting the motor and luffing up. When they're aboard, they'll ask where everything is and find it--you can keep driving. From my experience and that of various friends, they're always respectful and professional--as long as you're respectful and cooperative. (The same can't always be said about local marine cops.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page