Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Swing Keel Thunk?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/19/2018 :  10:02:55  Show Profile
Greetings,

I've never noticed this before, maybe it hasn't occured before and I have a problem?

While floating in the middle of the lake, sails were down, we were just drifting, big wakesurf boat wakes would pass through. As we pitched fore and aft the swing keel would bang in the trunk. At first I thought it might just be a really strong hull "slap", but I went down and listened and it was the keel.

Is this normal, or do I have a problem? One additional bit of detail, I can only lift the keel half way with the lifting tackle. I'm on a mooring now, but in the last years the keel was up enough to not drag on the ramp and contact with the trailer pushed to keel up into the trunk.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Richard
Midway, UT

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2018 :  14:13:18  Show Profile
Sounds like your boat is trying to tell you something. When was the last time any maintenance was done on the keel?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2018 :  16:31:48  Show Profile
1995, I'm sure.

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2018 :  20:22:34  Show Profile

1) Banging in the trunk while pitching fore and aft would indicate that your up-haul cable is not secured . This could cause damage to the trunk, seal of your water-ballast tank, undue strain on your centerboard mounting pin as well as the suspension and the up-haul cable

In addition you may wish to add spacers on both sides of the centerboard to eliminate that super annoying (sideways) clunking.

Best way to measure the thickness of the spacers is by feeding, a 1/4 x 3" or whatever thickness is required, up the trunk...

Place the spacers in the Catalina recommended position. (by the way you can make wood spacers and epoxy them into place)

2) Your brass up-haul turning ball may have corroded on the stainless steel mounting pin fiber-glassed into the hull. It is possible that the ball by not turning has grooves gouged into the ball while not turning.

Catalina Direct sells a insert replacement kit but... to install the kit you will have to remove the existing turning ball which is not an easy thing to do.
As a way around this problem we used the launching ramp to nudge it up.

(photos are taken from the hull of "seabear", formerly owned by Peter Holdack)

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page