Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Tropical Weather out east
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/22/2018 :  19:16:36  Show Profile
Looks like midsummer weather is moving into the east. From the southeast coast to the northern extremes of New England tropical air is lodged in place due to a strong high pressure center stationed over the North Atlantic Ocean. Warm moist air from the Caribbean and Gulf plus strong easterlies off the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic are setting up an occluded frontal boundary across southern VA, Washington DC, Delmarva, NJ, PA, most of eastern New York State and all of NewEngland with the exception of northeastern Maine. Dew points around 70-75° with daytime highs in the 80s, lots of clouds and showers can start up at any time.
Started with a surprise tropical storm - unnamed - but with the signature of a nor’easter (unheard of in summer) with copious rain bands and thunder, 30-40 mph winds overnight and possible small twisters (EF-0). This was unprecedented.
The tropical weather and 20 kt winds are expected to last all week. Not what I’d call ideal sailing weather.
I’m only glad that I didn’t take my summer vacation this week. Anybody planning a multi-day trip soon in the northeast?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 07/22/2018 19:19:09

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2018 :  03:28:27  Show Profile
All my fault Bruce, I had lawn sprinklers installed on Friday...

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2018 :  06:05:18  Show Profile
(Murphy's Third Corollary.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2018 :  06:41:51  Show Profile
Come on down to Houston and I'll show you tropical air mass! LOL

Not a cloud in the sky for almost 2 weeks with highs around 100 every day. At 7:50 AM this morning down at the boat it was 80 degrees with humidity at 94% and a heat index of 88.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2018 :  08:19:37  Show Profile
San Antonio forecast high today 104. It's a struggle to keep the vegetable plants hydrated!

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2018 :  08:41:03  Show Profile
It was a howling over the weekend on Western Long Island Sound with winds out of the S (vs. typical SW)and the result was a bit like a washing machine with waves appearing to be from all directions. As I recall, we had a week like this early last season -- quite unusual for our neck of the woods.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2018 :  10:34:47  Show Profile
It seems like it has rained every other day here for ever... afternoon thunderstorm, or in the evening...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/23/2018 :  12:45:45  Show Profile
Yes Ray, I lived in Hotlanta for two years. We even had regular thunderstorms during the drought! They called it dry lightning but the humidity was 85%. Nothing terribly dry about that.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 07/23/2018 14:48:52
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2018 :  12:45:37  Show Profile
We've had something like 9 inches of rain in the DC-Baltimore area this month.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2018 :  18:09:37  Show Profile
Great photo, Ray.

It's been the same here in southern Virginia Blue Ridge mountains. While we haven't like the unpredictable rain and thunderstorms, the cool evenings have been so pleasant - windows open kind of weather.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2018 :  19:24:42  Show Profile
We had a really nice Saturday and Sunday last weekend but there was no wind. I went out but just went for a swim in my big inner tube. Water was cool about 73°, but the sun was hot.
Monday went back to the hazy, hot, humids. Tuesday was ideal! Sunny, not too hot with dew points in the lower 60°s. Too bad I had to work.
Now we’re in for another week of August weather: 3Hs with Tstorms at any time. Sunday looks to be the next dry weather day but again winds less than 5 kts.
I’ll take August weather over February weather any day though.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2018 :  12:12:20  Show Profile
Another Florida-like weekend her in Connecticut with very high humidity, rolling thunder storms forecast, and winds from all directions -- swirling through. I really need to schedule a mid-week sail when the weather is at least somewhat better!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2018 :  12:32:12  Show Profile
I took advantage of the hot steamy weather. Om Thursday with not a wisp of a wind nor any weekend warriors to make wakes I motored out into the Sound and we went swimming. I also grabbed my brush and suction cup handle and cleaned the bottom. I can reach to the keel with my long arms then I can do the keel(Wing) with my feet. I use wool socks with Velcro straps around my ankles so they wont slide off. Looks kinda goofy but does the job. Today(Sat) I went down early to take advantage of the cloud cover and washed the entire boat. Boy it needed both.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2018 :  17:52:57  Show Profile
Scott, I hear you! The slime builds up below the waterline and with the wet heat, black speckles show up all over the cockpit and topside and especially in the fuel locker and fender locker. I call it the mid-season scrubdown, usually once around the 4th of July and once again as Labor Day approaches.

Yesterday I took a day off (I have to use it or lose it) and decided to take a full day’s sail from about 8AM to 7:30PM with my wife I figured on 20 miles out and 20 miles back with stop-offs. The weather forecast was not ideal. Zero wind in the AM til a rainstorm line pulled through (cooling, refreshing), then winds started out of the south from 5-8, then building to 10-14, then gusts up to 20.

We shortened sail so the wind was manageable but as we prepped for the last 10 mile leg home, the wind whipped up waves with 2-3 foot breakers about 2-4 seconds apart, directly abeam. Very unpleasant!

More Tstorms were also on the way so we bagged it and pulled into the nearest harbor and found a marina that takes transients (Brewers) and got out of the weather. (I love active captains). The marina restaurant and facilities were nice and took a dip in the pool afterwards.

This morning we grabbed a bite and coffees and headed out into the fog and mist. Shortly thereafter the skies cleared and the breeze picked up. We were sailing at 5.1. We got into our homeport about an hour before the next wave of Tstorms moved in.
It’s all about the timing.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/18/2018 :  19:05:15  Show Profile
sounds like Lake Erie waves

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2018 :  18:49:25  Show Profile

Talk about looking stern, worried about my timing. I made my slip and closed up the hatch boards seconds before the downpour, twice. Suprising we had no lightning. The phone radar app gave a pretty good visual indication of the intensity to expect. That radar app has been a real blessing. Reminds me to leave my cheep portable AM radio on with no station tuned in, if you have lightning approching it comes in as static on the radio. Anchored up in a protected cove, that blocks the winds, but also blocks the view of the approaching storms.

Low dark clouds, followed by winds gusting when the line of clouds were over us, then brief hard rain, then a lull, then more rain lasting longer, then steady wind, then the winds die down slowly and everything becomes calm.

Repeats 2 hours later, same pattern.

It really was beautiful, and exciting... great day on the water. Swimming, sailing, and running from the storm.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 08/19/2018 19:07:36
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2018 :  17:56:17  Show Profile
Great pic! I think we have all been there -- great day and then OMG look at the sky! Glad you were able to catch it on film (or pixel)

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page