Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Wet Plug maybe.....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2018 :  20:47:27  Show Profile
Had the boat out this weekend, engine behaved perfectly. THEN when I got back to my slip I.....

Cleaned up the tank. new fuel, Seafoam in the gas, new fuel lines ( automotive 3/8 inch lines), new fuel filter, new "spray less" Attwood quick release fuel connector to the tank.

Had the boat in dry dock and the local marine contractor (that I've know on the lake for many years) said, "yep... carbs clog, just a matter of time. Clean the carburetor" ( regarding the tah-hot-sue engine rebranded as an evinrude )

Also he recommended the Honda engine, and the yammi.

The dealer that sold me the engine also recommended the Zuki for its fuel injection. Sounds like even more complexity to me, and a new design... but he says they have been working well.

SO.. bringing the engine home and cleaning the carb is on the to do list for me...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 08/11/2018 20:59:39
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2018 :  12:29:18  Show Profile
Ray, I’d advise you get the rebuild kit for the carb for a few reasons.
You’ll likely tear a paper-thin gasket, spring the Jesus clip into parts unknown, drop the O ring down that little hole behind the bench and generally curse a lot. (Ask me how I know!)
And for next time too....

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 08/12/2018 12:29:59
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2018 :  18:26:13  Show Profile
Roger that, thanks for the heads up.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2018 :  06:57:47  Show Profile
Now the consensus is pull the carb, drop the bowl and put it all in an ultrasonic cleaner ( from Northern Tools ) with simple green cleaner.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2018 :  03:38:50  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I seem to have developed same issue ! First time in 12 years with my Honda - It initially starts okay but after running for awhile, it will die at anything close to a regular idle, have to run it at higher rpms to ensure it does not quit on me. If it does quit, then may not be able to get it restarted. I used Seafoam this past weekend and thought it had resolved the issue as the outboard was running okay after about 20 minutes and then held idle speed okay. But then went out on Sunday and then approaching the marina with outboard on and close to regular idle, it again stopped. After about 10 minutes or so, I was luckily able to restart it and was able to get back to my slip.

I have never had my outboard off the transom in 12 years. I managed to perform all maintenance that way - oil filter, plugs, fuel filter. Lower gear oil, I somehow managed to do that either in my slip with outboard tilted up and over the slip or when the boat was in the yard for bottom painting. Did my water impeller changeout also in this manner. So, I may just bring the outboard into the local marina that has a good engine mechanic or....perhaps will tackle taking off the carburetor and clean it myself.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2018 :  06:11:41  Show Profile
I have a 2003 Honda 8 hp. Since I started using Marathon gas (no alcohol) about 7 years ago I never have idling problems. I used to with other alcohol cut gasoline, with or without stabilizers. The cost difference is pennies, and I use so little maybe 10 gals a season, it's more than worth it. Marathon's website shows their availability over most of the east.

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2018 :  22:46:48  Show Profile
I'll stick with my 1989 8HP Suzuki oil injected 2 cycle outboard. Sits for months at a time but always starts on the 3rd pull and will idle all day.

Only issue is reverse is pretty much non-existent so I "always approach the dock no faster than I want to hit it, because I usually do! LOL!!!

Actually I've got the process down so I slide into the slip at a snails pace, drop a stern line over the cleat and step off onto the dock. Might occasionally bump the rub rail on the dock (which is black in my marina... Really? Who was the idiot that came up with that idea?). Always leaves a nice black skid mark down the side of the boat when I do graze it.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 08/22/2018 22:50:00
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2018 :  05:40:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

...Might occasionally bump the rub rail on the dock (which is black in my marina... Really? Who was the idiot that came up with that idea?). Always leaves a nice black skid mark down the side of the boat when I do graze it.
The rub-rail on my boat is black, so everyone keeps clear! My dock edge guard is white, which can put a nice stripe on my dark green hull. There's no winning...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2018 :  06:40:25  Show Profile
Apparently the ultrasound is from Harbor Freight, for the carb cleaning. The guy I bought my boat from was a pilot, and he would dock like he was landing a plane... Drive in and hit the reverse thrusters.... It was so strange to me. I've always drifted in as my 2 strokes would often die when I'd hit reverse.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 08/23/2018 06:58:31
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2018 :  18:20:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by redeye

...he would dock like he was landing a plane... Drive in and hit the reverse thrusters...
I do that when my motor is a fuel-injected car/truck engine and has more horses than my boat has feet (now by a factor of 8).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2018 :  18:03:03  Show Profile
It may not be the plug. My Tohatsu 9.8 required the carb to be rebuilt after season 5 as I minimally used it. I found a new replacement cost the same and went that route. Since I run the engine dry after each use however I am at year 10 and expect that I will need to do so again. Gas with additives and minimal use can wreak havoc on the various rubber components in a carburetor.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 08/25/2018 19:21:43
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2018 :  19:29:01  Show Profile
Ending your outing by running the motor until it dies with the gas line disconnected is the way to go...

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2018 :  15:22:08  Show Profile
I did that last week, but pretty much unintentionally... I had the larger gas tank, 5.5 or 6 gallons that I filled up to about 4 gallons for our overnight trip. On the way out we had zero wind and motored until midday. Afterwards the wind picked up and we sailed for 3-4 hours.

We stopped into an island area to see the sights and by then the wind had built to 13 + 20kt gusts and seas had grown to 2-3 footers at 2-3 seconds with some breakers. So we decided to motor into the harbor to get some dinner and spend the night at the marina.

Next day we had winds dead on the nose for 15 miles so again we motored rather than tack forever.

On the last leg, we had a beautiful 12 kt breeze on the beam so we sailed the last four miles or so.

Just before entering the harbor I doused the sails to motor in. The engine ran for about 2 minutes, then sputtered and died. My first thought was holy crap, engine konked out! What if that had happened OUT THERE on the high seas! Then I checked the gas tank and it was light as a feather and dry as a bone! Problem solved.

Luckily I unfurled the jib and we sailed into the slip. Of course I still had my spare 2 gallon gas can at the ready, but didn’t need it.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 08/25/2018 15:28:37
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2018 :  11:43:36  Show Profile
<< Ending your outing by running the motor until it dies with the gas line disconnected is the way to go...>>

That's what Im doing now but it takes so long to run it out on this engine, I feel kinda wasteful...

<< running out of gas >>

Kinda happy to have another tank onboard ( in the engine ), and the new tank has a bump in the bottom that acts as a automatic backup of a little more fuel.

ANYHOO>>> I still gotta go get the fuel connector I had the dealer order. This weekend.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 08/28/2018 11:44:16
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2018 :  05:29:35  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I always use STartron or Stabil with each portable gas tank fill up. As far as running the outboard dry after each use - I usually only do that during the winter months when I do not go out as often as during the summer months. When I go out say 3 times a week, an argument can be made that it is better to keep the fuel lines filled with gas rather than subject them to potential moisture issues if ran dry. However, when the outboard is not used for awhile, then , yes, run the outboard till fuel lines dry.

But, there was a period this summer that I did not use the outboard for a few weeks and that and probably just over time, the carburetor needed a clean out.

Got a local guy to remove the carburetor and clean out the fuel lines. $150 outboard back to normal again !! (took 2 day service from requesting assist till completed)

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page