Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Furler wrapped the wrong way
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/06/2018 :  05:40:37  Show Profile
So after I dropped my mast a few weeks ago to replace the windex, I put it back up and retightened the rigging. Nice, mission accomplished.

The last thing I did was rewrap the furler drum. Of course, I wrapped it in the wrong direction. I bent on my jib yesterday with a bit of struggle and pulled the furler to wrap it, then noticed something wrong. The sacrificial strip was on the inside not outside of the wrap! Arrrgh!

Since the drum was wrapped wrong way around, when I pulled on the line, it wrapped the furler and sail the wrong way too.

Now I can undo all my steps and pull down the sail, rewrap the furler line the opposite way, and re-raise the sail, but I’d prefer to somehow just redo the line on the furler drum.

I might be overthinking this, but is there an easier way to undo this without removing the jib? This could easily spiral out of control!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 05/06/2018 05:50:16

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2018 :  06:08:08  Show Profile
I don't know of an easier way, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Pull the jibsheet aft to cause the foot of the sail to lie along the gunwale. Lower the sail and flake it naturally along the gunwale. Let it lie there while you re-wrap the furler line, and then re-raise the sail.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2018 :  10:11:29  Show Profile
Bruce, At the end of the season unfurl the jib then mark the furling line at the drum with a marker. Remove the sail for storage then take the tail of the furling line and store it in the anchor locker leaving whats left on the drum. In the spring just line up the mark on the line with the drum and bend on your sail. No adjustments will be needed because the drum and wraps will be exactly the same as when you took the sail off. I also put my sails on yesterday. Perfect day for it. No wind.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/06/2018 10:15:15
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2018 :  10:34:36  Show Profile
On the bright side, it's not as embarrassing as when a friend of mine pulled his hank-on jib up as we were taking his boat out in the midst of a J-24 fleet that was going out to race, and he had hanked it on upside-down! Talk about guffaws!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2018 :  19:00:54  Show Profile
Bruce,

I've done that, but it's been awhile.
See if these steps work for you.
Remove the sheets.
Pull the furling line until all the line is off the drum.
Manually unwrap the jib.
Wrap the jib the right way.
Attach the sheets.
Unfurl the jib as you would on the water.
Furl the jib to verify it is fixed.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 05/06/2018 19:01:17
Go to Top of Page

jefferydfloyd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2018 :  21:20:21  Show Profile  Visit jefferydfloyd's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

Bruce,

I've done that, but it's been awhile.
See if these steps work for you.
Remove the sheets.
Manually unwrap the jib.
Attach the sheets.

Fixed mine the exact same way... very easy

Jeff Floyd
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2018 :  06:38:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

...See if these steps work for you.
Remove the sheets.
Manually unwrap the jib.
Attach the sheets.
You also want a few extra turns on the drum to allow you to wrap the sheets around the sail after fully furling it, also allowing for the likelihood that you'll wrap the sail more tightly after you have the sheets attached so you can maintain some tension. I guess in Russ's process, that would mean a few turns before you attach the sheets.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2018 :  18:20:04  Show Profile
Well like I had posited above I was way overthinking it. I disconnected the furler drum line then reversed the drum until the sail was fully unfurled, then kep on going until the sail was wrapped in the correct orientation. I removed the jib sheets and wrapped a line around the sail and spun it until the furler line was all the way back out on the deck. I gave the furled sail a few more spins to start the line on the drum, reattached the sheets and led the furling line back aft. I undid the wrap line and pulled on the jib and viola! Everything went back as normal. Now I’ve got three turns of jib sheet over the furled sail and my sacrificial strip is in the right place! Thanks to all

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2018 :  21:19:35  Show Profile

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2018 :  11:33:26  Show Profile
Okey doke - now that that’s taken care of ...
I’m looking to replace the furler line. It’s starting to fray at the cam clear, so I need to replace it.

I originally had a 3/16” or 1/4” Sta Set line - violet and yellow - but my local West M no longer carries the color combination. I happen to have some red and orange paracord. Will that work?

I have a Hood furler and I notice with 3/16” furler line that it just about fully loads the reel. If it were thicker, the furler would jam. So I need something thin but strong.

Problem is that thin line is rough on the hands. I could splice a thicker line to the thinner line but it might not run through the 3-4 smaller blocks along the gunwales. I could also buy a jacketed line and remove the jacket at 25 ft.

Suggestions? Hopefully some of my fellow boaters have come up with solutions.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 05/13/2018 11:37:54
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2018 :  18:30:35  Show Profile
Bruce,

Since what the PO had on there I could only describe as clothes-line, I used Dyneema cored line on my Harken II. I'm pretty sure I used 1/4" line.

The line really is too big to easily feed through the hole to knot off. So what I did was strip the cover back about 2' and knot that off.

This works well because the line is not exposed to the sun so I don't think the Dyneema is going to get killed that way very soon.

So yes, I'd suggest what you said: strip the jacket off the line at a distance that makes sense for you, and use the biggest line that will work with your blocks!

Also you made me paranoid with the genoa, I had to go up and check mine out to ensure I wasn't going to UV-kill my sail :)

Edited by - odonnellryanc on 05/13/2018 18:31:12
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2018 :  16:39:48  Show Profile
Paracord is nylon and stretchy, not appropriate. Robbline, Regatta Braid, or Bzz dingy braid are all single braid dacron with far less stretch and extremely soft and easy on the hands. I went with 1/4" Regatta since harken recommends 1/4" or 5/16. I also tapered the first 6 feet (from the drum) since that portion is lightly loaded to get more wraps on the drum.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2018 :  20:25:33  Show Profile
Yes, I checked out a length of paracord stretched across the deck and it was not right. So I’m looking at New England Ropes Sta Set in 5/16. I believe it will work fine at 70-80c a foot.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2018 :  05:42:36  Show Profile
Bruce, My furling line was originally 5/16 but I replaced it with 1/4" That alone allowed me to get many more wraps on the drum so now I don't ever come up short when furling. I don't know if it is harder on the hands or not but I wear gloves and it isn't noticeable to me. Blue flecked line in the photo.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2018 :  17:51:10  Show Profile
!/4" Stay-set would be fine and softens considerably with time and extra wraps are really important. You always want a reserve because furling in different conditions often changes the tightness and number of turns. I was once about 3 ft short of a full furl in moderately trying conditions and not happy. I decided then to go with 1/4" and taper it. !/4 over 5/16 gives almost an extra wrap in each layer and and 5 wraps in the diameter of 4, easily 30% more line on the drum. Its probably slightly cheaper too.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2018 :  20:06:25  Show Profile
I figured like this. I have about 20 feet from the furler to the cockpit, then measured the excess leftover in the cockpit and I found I needed about 35 feet of line. So I purchased 1/4” Sta-Set line today at the West Marine sale.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

C25BC
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
200 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  17:56:19  Show Profile
I'm not sure if this is pertinent , when I bought my boat it had a fairly new 135 on the furler , the uv strip had all these little tears in it of course the PO was baffled , when I took it to the sailmaker for repair he told me he sees this now and then and it's from putting the sail on backwards .

Angus
S.V.Tempus
1984 Catalina 25 SK/SR/Trad.
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  18:29:55  Show Profile
Wow! If you think of it, the last wrap of cloth is the roach. For furling sails, that section is projected by a UV cover strip. If the sail were wrapped the wrong way the cover would be on the inside. So the UV protection would be not be on the outside. That could definitely lead to the sail experiencing UV damage, or creating tears and rips.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 06/05/2018 18:32:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page