Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Flickr sold to Smugmug
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/20/2018 :  20:54:21  Show Profile
I just received an email from Flickr saying that Yahoo, now owned by Verizon’s OATH subsidiary has decided to sell Flickr to Smugmug. First I’ve heard of this. What the email says is that if I don’t agree with the new terms of service (I’ve not read them yet) then I must download and delete my account by May 25.
I don’t use Flickr often for new content, but my byline below includes a photo on Flickr. I used it to share some photos during last summer’s mini-cruise to Milford Harbor with the US Power Squadron.
I plan to eliminate my account based on this news. The good news is at least I got some warning!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2018 :  04:55:06  Show Profile
I didn't get this E-mail. I use flickr for all the photos that I post here only. What are you saying that they are pulling a Photobucket? I went to their site and didn't find anything about new terms or changes just that they have merged.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/21/2018 04:56:18
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2018 :  18:46:21  Show Profile
You know Scott? At first I thought it was a ruse to get me to click on an email link but when I googled “Flickr Smugmug” it came right up with a dozen articles from the likes of Techcrunch, Variety, USAToday, TheVerge, Engadget,...
Seems Yahoo, that was snatched up by Verizon’s OATH (Yahoo, Aol, etc) was just letting Flickr fizzle out. No strategy, no plans, nada.
So I’m not sure it’s a bad thing, but family owned and run SmugMug will want to generate a profit somehow. Maybe not a Photobucket but watch this space for development. I have your ID as sbo7, correct? I’ll forward the notice.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2018 :  18:47:40  Show Profile
BTW, Flickriver.com is pretty cool.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2018 :  17:46:12  Show Profile
I got the email and didn't remember setting up an account. I decided to click through and delete my account. I guessed at the most likely password and it was accepted. The next page had a lot of fill ins and said "just a few more steps to set up your account". Trolling for members?

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2018 :  22:32:49  Show Profile
Flickr has been shriveling on the vine. Logging into Flickr after Yahoo took over was horrible, not worth the hassle. Hopefully the transplant will rejuvenate it.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page