Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bottom paint in fresh, clean high mountain lake???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dalelargent
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/20/2018 :  13:55:17  Show Profile
Hi all,

My boat has been 6+ years without bottom paint. I sail her on crystal clear mountain lakes (fresh water) and the bottom is spotless every year on haul-out.

By now, the bottom paint (ablative) is very thin. Do I care (other than my vanity in regards to cosmetics)?

Also, there are numerous spots where there is "chipped" paint. I understand the chipped areas are slowing me down, but I sail for fun and recreation and don't care TOO much about speed.

So, again, do I care?

Please see attached pics.

In the chipped pic, the blue is the top layer (paint). The bronze color is the next layer, the tan the lowest layer.

What are these other layers?

(sorry, the pic of faded paint is upside down, but you get the idea)

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14

Edited by - dalelargent on 04/20/2018 13:56:44

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2018 :  14:46:41  Show Profile
Looks like older non-ablative paint. Possible enamel paint as it looks hard. That also may explain why you don't have any blisters on the bottom either.

Oh- what lake do you keep the boat in?

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2018 :  15:17:57  Show Profile
The "tan" is probably the original white gelcoat that has discolored slightly. The rest appears to be layers of old antifouling. There are two main reasons to apply antifouling - to protect against barnacles and to deter algae growth. On your lake, neither is a concern. If you're satisfied with the boat's performance, there's no need to paint it. The only concern is that, when you sell the boat, the buyer will probably expect a price reduction for a bottom job, and stripping that old paint will be an expense unless you DIY. You might try scraping it with a putty knife or scraper, to see if it's loose. It looks like it might come off with a little effort.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2018 :  18:39:33  Show Profile
Bottom paint is also, to varying degrees, toxic to the critters and plants in your lake. Don't use it if you don't need it, saves money and the environment.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2018 :  18:52:50  Show Profile
Yup--I was going to speculate that the topcoat was blue ablative, mostly worn away... The white and tan layers are hard paint (non-ablative), which always chip away like that, eventually. The "pink" appears to be gelcoat, although I haven't seen that color on a Catalina. It could be a barrier coat.

That she's that clean after a season in the water is remarkable (to me, anyway). Clearly you don't need protection from any kind of fouling. But there is another potential threat in fresh water: blisters, which are more of a threat there than in salt water. An epoxy barrier coat is the best protection from that, and you may already have it. Bottom paint is essentially ineffective for that problem. If you have no blisters, then I'd say the evidence is that you have a barrier coat. So, if you're inclined to remove the chipping paint, I'd try not to affect that "pink" layer. Fiberglass-friendly stripper is probably safe--I think it's pretty ineffective against a 2-part epoxy layer. Sanding is not a good idea--it can destroy the blister protection of both a barrier coat and the gelcoat.

But if you're concerned only with cosmetics and not performance (more on that shortly), you could buy a quart of ablative paint in the color you like and paint along the waterline and a foot or so below it. That's common practice. (Hard paint... well, you already see what happens to that.)

As for performance........ I'm sure you've heard the expression (and had the experience): "When there are two sailboats on the same tack on the same body of water, there's a race going on."

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/20/2018 19:02:16
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2018 :  13:46:06  Show Profile
pink looks like filler/bondo?

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2018 :  14:03:47  Show Profile
That was my first thought too Frank, but when I had Pearl stripped for a new barrier coat, it had a pinkish hue before the bottom paint wen on. You will certainly be able to tell when more of the old stuff is removed. A foot or so along the waterline might be a good use of VC-17 in a clean lake. That area is the only place Pearl gets any growth on Lake Erie.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2018 :  14:35:40  Show Profile
Agreed VC-17 is a good option... It's a hard paint, but a thin film. Even if it eventually peels, it shouldn't make something that looks like Arizona's Monument Valley on your bottom.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2018 :  21:21:26  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the feedback.

I am confident that the pink is not bondo as there are several spots on the hull with identical peeling. (Seems to be where the hull has flexed a bit while traveling on the trailer rollers.)

I do think I will scrape what is easy, perhaps sand the edges a bit to (sort of) fair the hull, and paint the top foot or so. I am excited this means I don't have to deal with removing the trailer rollers or rolling the boat back!

O'Dell Lake is almost at the top of Willamette Pass in Oregon. High altitude and fed with mountain streams fed by snow melt (swimming in August is still quite brisk most years!). Parts are 600 feet deep as it was formed by the explosion of Mount Mazama (Crater Lake). Truly crystal clear water. Huge lake trout, bald eagles, and river otters. A magical place!

So, yesterday I ordered a gallon of WM PCA Gold Ablative as they were having a sale. Are there strong recommendations I switch to the VC-17? I feel very un-informed about this topic. I am confident I could return the West Marine paint...

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2018 :  08:25:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dalelargent

...So, yesterday I ordered a gallon of WM PCA Gold Ablative as they were having a sale. Are there strong recommendations I switch to the VC-17?...
Not from me. If you were racing, then yes, but you just want her to look good. The ablative is compatible to go on top of just about anything, whereas VC-17 and other hard paints can't go on ablatives. But I'd avoid sanding. Your biggest threat in fresh water is blisters, and sanding can dramatically reduce the effectiveness of a barrier coat (the pink stuff?) and gelcoat to prevent them. Also, I've found that peeling hard paint doesn't "smooth out" very well--sanding just tends to peel it a little more, leaving new edges. You just don't want to paint over any loose stuff. To get to truly smooth, you pretty much have to remove it. But ablatives can be lightly sanded to look smoother.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2018 :  13:58:16  Show Profile
One other point to consider . . . . as your lake is so "sparkling clean" just check with local officials to make sure that one type or another of anti fouling paint is banned in the lake. My guess is that their is not such restriction, but stranger things have happened!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page