Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Factory Interior Color
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/07/2018 :  11:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

I have rebuilt the stove area of my galley and have it currently painted with primer, ready for finish painting after some final sanding. My boat is a 1979 model and the interior color is not white. But I wish it were. My interior is some shade of beige. I have found two colors of beige available, Beige and honey Beige. But they don't how a color plate so I can see them or compare. Does anyone happen to know what color Catalina used. I'm trying to avoid having to paint the entire interior. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  12:10:08  Show Profile
I can't help with the color, but a contrasting accent color could work if you aren't able to find a good color match.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  12:39:41  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Dave,

I really won't mind if the top half of the interior,(everything above the seat backs) is not the same color. But everything below should be. I don't want the galley color to be different from the color visible below the settes on both sides. My concern is only for the main saloon. Thanks for your input.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  20:03:58  Show Profile
While paints, color and materials are super high tech, the eye is extremely sensitive to brightness, hue and saturation. Add to that surface effects like gloss, matte and textured coatings, and you’ll find getting a perfect match between gelcoat color and finish versus new paint can be a fool’s errand. You can get close by eye, however, that can get expensive and wasteful.
Or you can go to a paint shop with a sample to be matched and work with the technician to use a base color and mix tints to get a close match. Many shops offer systems to approximate the colors using scientific equipment which can get extremely close in color and shade.
Now the trick is to identify the kind of paint you want to use to match the finish.
Water-base latex, oil based paint or polyurethane paint all offer different looks.
Matte is different from semi-gloss is different from gloss paint.
Having a keen eye and viewing in the right kind of light is key.
Sunlight is different than tungsten, or fluorescent or LED lighting.
This process is not so straightforward, however, it depends on how exacting your taste or your significant other’s is.
Best bet is to give this exercise sufficient time and care to achieve satisfactory results. Trial and error pays off.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 04/07/2018 20:11:42
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  21:08:22  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Bruce,

Very insightful. So rather than trying to match I will probably be better off to just go ahead and paint the entire lower half white as I would like anyway. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  21:41:07  Show Profile
Another thought from when I was mixing a gelcoat patch: take a photo of a panel in daylight without flash and get its CYMK color profile in a photo editor for a mixing starting point. No camera reproduces cold with absolute accuracy, but it will be close. It will be a ratio not an amount. The amount of pigment relative to the volume of base requires experimentation to get the right saturation. Or you can collect paint color cards at Lowes. Better yet, get RBG and go here to convert to paint: http://www.easyrgb.com/en/

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 04/07/2018 21:49:38
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2018 :  07:42:14  Show Profile
I like the idea of painting the whole interior the color you prefer, as long as you're painting. "A job worth doing is worth doing right", my dad used to say. It's your chance. Look at the boat show interiors--white (and/or very light gray) is the thing these days, with ebony or gray wood and high color-temperature LEDs. Warmth (beige) is out. Go for it!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2018 :  08:53:04  Show Profile
I think the drawbacks to painting the exterior are equally applicable to painting the inside of the boat, and then some. Once you paint inside you can't go back. If you decide it was a bad idea and try to strip it off, it will be hard to deal with the concentrated fumes of the paint strippers, which are toxic and a fire hazard.

That's not to say you shouldn't paint it, just that painting should be a last resort.

I'd suggest you contact the company that makes the two shades of beige that you're considering and ask them to send you color swatches of those two colors. If you can closely match the gel coat, that would be the more durable finish.

If you decide to paint, ordinary paints wouldn't be a good choice. A boat is exposed to dampness, and is unheated during the winter. I have seen boats with badly peeling paint inside. When the owner was power sanding the whole interior, it didn't look fun. I'd suggest you consult technicians from a paint company for their recommendations of a type of paint that can withstand those conditions.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2018 :  09:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again Guys,

Here is why I must paint. This is the galley as I received the boat and the following pics are the progress of the restoration.

And yes, I am using a marine grade paint,(Blue Water Marine Paint). Maybe I am actually supposed to gel coat at this point or before I applied the primer. But I have never worked with gel coat and I am told its is something like an art form to get right. Thanks for all the input.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2018 :  22:27:12  Show Profile
Catalina Yachts in Florida can answer your question on mfg. paint brand and color. Have you tried contacting them?

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2018 :  02:32:20  Show Profile
I had the same issue and took a piece of the interior plastic to ACE hardware and they matched it. I think I had a piece left from cutting a hole for a new instrument I did the same with an item from the RV to Lowe's and they were able to match it.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page