Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Outboard motor size for C250
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/04/2018 :  20:41:54  Show Profile
We have another C250 with a 9.9hp Tohatsu with remote, this C250 has an 8hp Tohatsu.

I was wondering what most people have on their C250s. The 8 seems a little wimpy.

thanks

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2018 :  20:56:53  Show Profile
If you're on a lake with no currents, 8 hp should be plenty. If you're on a river with strong currents, 10 would be better. My C250 came with a Honda 15 hp. We could almost waterski off that boat. (Not quite.)

One commonly forgotten benefit of overpowering is less noise. A 15 hp turning a larger prop at lower RPM is much quieter. May not be worth spending more $$$ for, but nice if the boat comes with it.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

FrankV
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
133 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  12:06:10  Show Profile
I had an older Mercury 9.9 2 stroke. We are on an inland lake and decided to get a lighter, easier to start motor. I got the 6hp Tohatsu with the extra long shaft. It provides plenty of power but is a little noisy.

Frank Vaughan
250 WK/SR
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  17:19:19  Show Profile

Had a 8hp Honda for 14 years. Never ever let us down. If we were to do it again we'd choose a 9.9hp Honda especially when bucking waves, wind and tides.

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

Don H
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  09:25:13  Show Profile
I repowered my C250 WK #288 last year with the Tohatsu 9.8 extra long shaft, electric start, mounted direct to the transom. Sail in the Narragansett area, considered the Sailpro 6. I'm very pleased with my choice: quick to start, quiet, powerful, rarely get above 1/2 throttle, and not a gas guzzler. Better alternator too. The 6 likely would have served my need in mooring areas and the like, but I was persuaded by members who argued that they'd expect a 9-10hp at resale, and the majority of respondents seem to have a similar sized engine, and better some excess power rather than almost enough when you really need it. Fell in love with the Yammy, but it would be a tight fit; the Tohatsu is smaller and lighter in the class, fits, though the boat can't readily be steered from the motor arm, the tiller is much better. Good luck.

Don H
Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2018 :  19:17:42  Show Profile
I run the Tohatsu 6hp SailPro with 25" shaft on my WB - 3 years now. I can run along well at 5+ knots - about 40% throttle - and we always carry 4-6 adults. While I concur the twin would be a quieter unit, the miserly use of fuel by the 6hp is impressive.
I sail in the Pacific out of Santa Barbara and the key for me is keeping the prop in the water. Whatever hp you decide on, the XL shaft is perfect, and as a bonus, when tilted it still clears the water. The argument against the 6hp for me is that I'd love remote controls with electric start.

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page

Steve Raffel
Captain

Members Avatar

262 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2018 :  17:51:21  Show Profile
I have a Honda 8. I repowered the boat last year. My earlier motor was a Honda 9.9 which served well for 16 years. Both were electric start XL shaft. My dealer convinced me the new 8 was as good as the old 9.9. After 2 sailing seasons I still wonder whether it was the right thing to do. My new Honda is quieter but checking the oil is hard to reach. I do like the ability to attach a hose to flush it out a big plus for the new motor. Overall, I'd say the 8 is adequate for Long Island Sound where I sail. If I had it to do again, I'd probably buy the 9.9 mostly for the comfort level.

Steve Raffel
C 250 WK #408
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2018 :  17:03:08  Show Profile
Steve,
Passage is equipped with a Honda 8 and I’m in western LISound where river and inlet currents can be very strong (>4kts). I’ve never had a problem even when I was 2.5 miles up the Housatonic River at Brewers Stratford Marina.

Our currents are largely produced by our roughly 7 ft tidal range. In Santa Barbara, where tidal range is closer to 2 feet, I’d have to imagine that currents average 1.5 and peak around 2 kts.

A 6 HP long shaft with the right prop is probably the right engine for those conditions since there are greater distances involved so fuel economy is a greater imperative.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2018 :  20:04:19  Show Profile
Bruce's Honda 8 (which I bought) is not your ordinary 8... It's the Honda 9.9--same everything except a different cam that produces more low RPM torque and less high-RPM horsepower. And it comes with a large-diameter, low-pitch, 4-blade prop for pushing heavy boats. That prop makes a huge difference in maneuvering, starting and stopping--the HP is less the issue. More HP with the right prop will undoubtedly let you cruise at lower RPMs with less noise, but 8HP with the right prop is plenty, even for the heavier C-25. 6HP is probably adequate for the C-250, although I wouldn't choose it for working against big chop and wind. Current is very different matter... If a motor will push you to max 6 knots (about theoretical hull speed) in still water, it will only get you to 4 knots over the bottom going against a 2-knot current (still 6 knots through the water) no matter how big it is (unless it can raise your bow up and over the bow wave, which is planing).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/12/2018 20:10:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page