Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 when life gives you lemons, buy a new outboard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

michael.j.wenger
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/22/2018 :  17:45:13  Show Profile
All -- I learned today that my otherwise-sweet Nissan 6 HP 4-stroke has ceased to be, kicked the bucket, shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain, and joined the sailin' choir invisible ... just in time for spring. So I'm considering all options for a replacement. I've read quite a bit on both the Torqeedo electric and Lehr propane outboards, but some of those threads are a bit long in the tooth. So I was wondering if folks here might be willing to weigh in on both options. The majority of my sailing (C25 swing keel) is lake sailing, though in OK, which means that there can be substantial challenges from the wind. My thanks in advance.

Michael Wenger
Norman OK (Lake Thunderbird)
"Sea of Tea" (SK/TR)

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2018 :  10:19:05  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
your outboard isn't dead, it's pining for the fjords!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2018 :  15:39:43  Show Profile
Four stroke gasoline, propane or electric.............

Which outboard bracket do you have?

This could could make the decision for you........

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2018 :  19:17:14  Show Profile
How old can a Nissan 4-stroke be? What went wrong that can't be fixed? Or do you just want to make a paradigm shift...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

michael.j.wenger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2018 :  11:52:34  Show Profile
Thanks, all -- the outboard was mounted on a stainless spring-loaded motor lift, rated to 20 HP. The mechanic thinks the Nissan suffered a catastrophic loss of oil while was I was running for the first time for the season. It had sufficient oil when I started it, and I let it run ~5 min before it stopped. I wasn't able to start it after that and there was a *heavy* sheen on the water. The mechanic said there was nothing much left to even rebuild. The motor was new when I bought the boat in '12. And I'm open to all possibilities. There's at least one boat in my marina that's running a Lehr propane outboard, and one that's running a Torqeedo. There is also one Hunter 23 that is running on a trolling motor, but that seems really inadequate for a C25.

Michael Wenger
Norman OK (Lake Thunderbird)
"Sea of Tea" (SK/TR)
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2018 :  14:00:30  Show Profile
What are you trying to accomplish? Reduced environmental impact? Lower initial cost? Convenience? Lower long term cost? Will you use it exclusively for short distances or do you contemplate some long distance cruising?

The Torqueedo is initially expensive, but is environmentally friendly. Its range is limited. While the Lehr is more environmentally friendly than a gasoline engine, it is essentially an internal combustion engine that is fueled by cannisters. Their range is limited unless you carry much bigger canisters. You might not be able to find propane at gas docks. Every option has positive and negative considerations. The reason why most people use a gasoline powered motor is because, for most people, it's the most practicable compromise, but that doesn't mean it's the right choice for you. Your choice will depend on how you intend to use it and what characteristics are most important to you.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2018 :  16:07:36  Show Profile
Michael Just curious but who did the oil change? Was it the mechanic? Sounds like the drain or fill plug fell out to have that kind of oil loss. If it was the mechanic well do I need to say more?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2018 :  09:24:43  Show Profile
Ya, it would seem there would be evidence of where the leak occurred, and thereby what the problem was. There aren't many possibilities on a little 4-stroke outboard. Of course, if the finger points at you, then the issue is, to use Steve's professional terminology, moot.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2018 :  03:08:51  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
The only time I had an oil sheen and lost oil with my Honda 9.9 was due to the oil change I performed at a nearby marina where I was having the bottom repainted with anti-fouling paint. I left the marina, did some sailing on my way back to my marina. I was running the outboard for a bit as I approached my marina and I normally back into my finger slip. That was when I noticed the oil sheen. When I docked and turned off the outboard, I removed the outboard cover and noticed plenty of oil on the upper half of the outboard and the inside of the cover. Then I noticed what the issue was - I forgot to reinstall the dipstick ! I drove over to the other marina and checked their maintenance yard where I had the bottom painted and I changed the oil. I was lucky and found the dipstick - Problem solved !

I forget just how long I was running the outboard but on the trip back to my marina, it was probably not more than a half hour. The remaining oil was about half way between the full and add marks on the dipstick. This was last year. I did not add any addl oil as the level has remained about the same but I plan on changing it out this Spring as part of normal maintenance.
So, besides losing oil from the filter or oil plug not being installed correctly, the other but unusual way to lose oil is thru the dipstick hole if the dipstick was not reinstalled.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page