Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 leaking Scupper
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Member Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/17/2018 :  21:28:23  Show Profile
I am finally tired of water running off the shelf and soaking the quarter-berth with every rain. After verifying that the starboard scupper was the source,I cut the brass tube in half to remove it, and it fell out! There was no bedding! The tube was simply inserted and flared to a compression joint. I'm not surprised that it failed sometime in the past. i'm letting it dry out while the weather is nice before putting the new ones in.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2018 :  04:59:05  Show Profile
Isn't it great to find the source of a long standing problem and fix it! Every time you think about it you break into a satisfied smile!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2018 :  10:21:09  Show Profile
Good opportunity to GO BIG!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2018 :  14:08:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bjoye

...Raw epoxy can not be exposed to UV or it will break down. So I'm ordering some 1.4"x3" tubes and the flanging tool from Amazon. I will apply one more thin layer of thickened epoxy to narrow the diameter just a little, then crimp into the hole the Moeller tube... The brass tube will protect the epoxy.
How about just smearing some of this stuff inside the hole. If the epoxy is fully cured, scuffed a little, and the amine blush is washed off (water soluble), it should bond just fine.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/18/2018 14:14:43
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2018 :  20:53:34  Show Profile
I've thought about adding scuppers to mine for a while now. Not exactly sure on how I want to do it other than I do. My line of thinking so far is to add some decent size through hulls and fiber glassing the floor up to them. Will probably be on my summer to do list while I can't sail. I've got the drains that go down through the boat to the bottom. They seem to always be stopped up with a little something making a mess out of the cockpit.

Also thought about sloping the cockpit floor at the same time so it will drain with the keel down. I would rather leave the keel down at dock, but can't because the cockpit won't drain.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2018 :  20:41:46  Show Profile
I am going with two part poly scuppers than can be easily replaced. I talked to a stinkpotter who has the same brand and is replacing them with the same ones after 12 years of Florida sun. That is certainly long enough for me. I intend to bed them with this new Sticky silicone adhesive caulk. Its fairly expensive, but comes highly recommended. It doesn't hurt that my daughter got me a multipack for Christmas because she thought it could be useful on a boat. Smart girl! Incidentally, mine is 1 5/8" diameter and I also cut it in half with a Dremel, easily removed the two halves, and put them back in with epoxy putty filling the cut while I await delivery of the new ones since Pearl is in the water. The marelon ones I bought would have required enlarging the holes and still had 1 5/8" ID.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399

Edited by - Dave5041 on 02/20/2018 20:53:42
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2018 :  07:17:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Good opportunity to GO BIG!

What size are those BIG Scuppers? That's my next install.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2018 :  08:51:55  Show Profile
Don't know how big but the boat,a Capri 25 was fitted for the 2014? Trans Pac ocean race from California to Hawaii single handed. Stuart (Doug) Paine and his boat Jack.

Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2018 :  20:37:41  Show Profile
Wichita was a hot bed of Snipe sailing back in the day. Google Snipe Transom and you will see some scupper to transom ratios that are amazing.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/27/2018 :  22:56:49  Show Profile
The temporary repair and reinstall of the original scupper with bedding has cured the leak. A Florida deluge tested it. It was totally dry this morning, so yes, Steve, it is a joy.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2018 :  05:19:10  Show Profile
Dave, Did you use the plastic slide together or the brass tubes?

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 03/01/2018 :  18:32:42  Show Profile
I will be using plastic snap together or threaded. Not having to twist one end has some benefit for bedding. The repaired brass tube will be in place until I pull Pearl at the end of the month and do the prep and install on the hard and dry. Plastic snap together from T-H Marine is what the stinkpotter at the marina replaced after 13 years of Florida sun.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Wnccat25
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
14 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2018 :  18:18:18  Show Profile
. Seams likthe two sectionse will move against each other. Yours will ? Brea.k pvc hreaded together w rubber seals would have been cheaper?

INDIAN, 89 Catalina 25,wing keel,short rig, classic. W-NC
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2018 :  18:43:52  Show Profile
Anybody consider using regular home center 1-1/2 or 2" PVC pipe glued in with polysulfide? One of my scuppers is suspicious so if I can remove them both and replace them with PVC it might be a decent solution.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2018 :  04:19:00  Show Profile
I would love to utilize a PVC pipe but I just haven't come up with a good and decent looking way for making the mushroom heads that would seal the interior and exterior edges without it looking llike a hack job.

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2018 :  05:00:34  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by islander

I would love to utilize a PVC pipe but I just haven't come up with a good and decent looking way for making the mushroom heads that would seal the interior and exterior edges without it looking llike a hack job.

I got it! Ill see if i can 3d print slip on mushroom fittings in abs. they can be glued to pvc using ABS to PVC transitional cement. that way i can get those cool large capri25 transpac scuppers.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2018 :  08:24:16  Show Profile
I think I'm just going cut mine out and repair with the rest of the fiberglass work I have to do this spring. Already have plenty of fiberglass, epoxy, paint and primer to do a decent job I think!
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2018 :  10:23:36  Show Profile
quote:
I got it! Ill see if i can 3d print slip on mushroom fittings in abs. they can be glued to pvc using ABS to PVC transitional cement. that way i can get those cool large capri25 transpac scuppers.

Wow, I never thought of a 3D printer to make the mushroom slip on end pieces. Brilliant! I'll be the first to buy 4 from you.

Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2018 :  02:21:55  Show Profile
For those using PVC pipe, please be careful.
Unprotected PVC will break down in the sunshine.
Use CPCV (the grey pipe) or plan on painting the PVC pipe, or make replacing it a routine maintenance item every few years.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2018 :  20:55:03  Show Profile
Any way to make a wet sand or modeling clay cast and mold the ends using thickened epoxy?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2018 :  15:28:28  Show Profile
I can't see going to al the trouble of making pvc work when more uv resistant plastic scuppers are not expensive.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399

Edited by - Dave5041 on 04/03/2018 15:29:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page