Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Bad luck or bad judgment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/29/2018 :  20:40:27  Show Profile
Here's a YouTube video of a boat similar to ours that got too close to a breakwall in Redondo Beach and who's engine might not have been in serviceable condition. It's tough to watch but a good lesson for all of us who sometimes tell ourselves "it'll keep until I can get around to it"
Watch it here

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  04:34:36  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Definitely cringe-worthy !

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  08:39:47  Show Profile
I anchored just outside the entrance to my marina to wait for a storm to pass before I entered, and saw a sailboat that was leaving during the storm get blown onto the jetty just like that. When you see someone trying so hard to save his boat, you want to go help him, but you know you'll just end up on the rocks with him.

You can see the other boats were trying hard to help him, but they also had to be careful not to get pushed onto the rocks by the waves.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  09:35:04  Show Profile
Then there's the video Youtube showed me next of the rescue of the crew of a sailboat that was rolled under a pier in California. Some guys are lucky to be alive.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/30/2018 09:44:06
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  11:13:07  Show Profile
Dave, That's the same boat. The longer version or continuation. Got off the rocks just to get blown into the pier.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  11:23:48  Show Profile
Could be a combination of both. I got caught in a squall leaving Clearwater last year, 15 minutes of tropical storm level stuff and then beautiful sunny day. I had the sails on, but nothing up. Had them strapped down but not covered. The squall blew in a lot faster than I thought it would. I had been watching it for a while, but it looked like it would stay well south of us. Luckily we have a very strong outboard that is well maintained, but I was worried about it swamping. It was underwater a few times. It managed to keep us going in a straight line. The wind kept us at about a 40 degree heel with the sails down. No idea what the wind speed was, but it was fast enough that the rain stung. If I had lost the outboard, I would have looked like that guy on the rocks at the edge of the channel.

Don't know what the story is with that boater, but without a motor, and depending on traffic that might be a tight channel for me on a windy day. My level of sailing experience might get me through it, might not. If I got hit with some bad wind in that channel, no way would I make it through with the sails up.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  11:28:56  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Dave, That's the same boat. The longer version or continuation. Got off the rocks just to get blown into the pier.

sure? this site site says they happened 9 months apart. I thought the rocks video just happened.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  11:57:31  Show Profile
Tod, You are right, 2 different boats. What I don't understand that in the video of the guy on the rocks the rescue boat keeps pulling away from the swimmers that are swimming towards him.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  12:35:05  Show Profile
As I see it, there's one swimmer, who went in from the first rescue boat, towing something like a life vest--a brave soul!! The rescue boat needed to get away from the rocks so it could stop constant maneuvering--a boat should never maneuver under power close to a swimmer even with just 10 hp--the prop can suck the swimmer under make hamburger. The swimmer should be brought in with a line, or ideally something like a Life Sling, while the boat drifts. At the very end, it looks like that's what's happening.

Some people were taught respect for the sea that day!

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  13:05:31  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Oof! Rough to watch.
Great work by the rescue crew.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  14:30:47  Show Profile
One more comment: I would never transit an inlet (or a bridge) with sails up except in the most benign conditions. You need full control to turn, STOP, change speed, and hold or change course. When there's any other traffic around, I've called out sailors at the two bridges in Mystic (bascule for the highway and swing for the RR) as they tack around waiting for the opening, and then try to set a straight course through with boats ahead and behind, sometimes finding they have some leeway they hadn't counted on or the wind is swirling around the bridge and trying to put them in irons.

It's apparent this guy had to short-tack in the inlet, a big wave (maybe a standing wave) could have stopped him during a tack, and then he was prey to Neptune's forces before he could start his engine and get enough way on to steer. In my "book", if you can easily luff all the way through and conditions are benign, motor through with the sails up and luffing. Otherwise, keep them down. If you can't handle that outside the inlet, you shouldn't go out there.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/30/2018 14:38:10
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2018 :  17:13:40  Show Profile
In addition to everything else, that is one tough boat!

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page