Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Kinda weird
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akenumber
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/29/2017 :  20:39:22  Show Profile
Has anyone had to replace the light/translucent piece of plastic in the v hull birth? Ours is extremely hazed and leaking?

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

C25-Editor
Seth Martin

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2017 :  21:19:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Akenumber

Has anyone had to replace the light/translucent piece of plastic in the v hull birth? Ours is extremely hazed and leaking?

Yes. Here is the part from Catalina Direct:

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1321_35/deadlight-repair-kit-with-polycarbonate-.cfm

The first time, I used 3M4200 to seal the deadlight in place. This seal failed after approximately a year. I read elsewhere on this forum that bleach and deck cleaners can cause 3M4200 to fail.

The second time, I used BoatLIFE LifeSeal. This product has held without leaks for several years now.

Here is a link to LifeSeal on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Lifeseal-Sealant-Cartridge-Clear/dp/B00144D6MU/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&dpID=31VFz%2B%2B0leL&dpPl=1&keywords=lifeseal&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&qid=1505774534&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_3&sr=8-3

Seth Martin
Mainsheet Catalina-25 Technical Editor
Email: catalina25tech at catalina-capri-25s.org
2017 -
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2017 :  06:38:09  Show Profile
Definitely use the life seal. It's made for bedding plastic. 4200 actually dissolves plastic over time and is why it will fail.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2017 :  13:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Yes a couple of times. I just go to Canal Plastics and get a piece cut to size then sand the edges to fit the bevel and rounded corners. I think I just used silicone. Have not had to replace the lower piece yet.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2017 :  18:42:19  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies. I will purchase life seal and the kit or I work with a plastic vendor regularly and may go that route. I had never heard of this topic before. Thanks again.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2017 :  18:47:23  Show Profile
I was under the impression that it was one thick piece. Is it actually two pieces? How thick are they?

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2017 :  07:28:52  Show Profile
The CD kit comes with 2 pieces. The outer piece you see on the deck that provides the seal and a piece for the interior that is just used to Finish off the interior ceiling. If you look your boat has these 2 pieces. The kit CD sells is excellent. Disregard their recommendation for a sealant and use the life seal. I did this 6yrs ago and using tape to make a perfect bead it will look like the factory did it. Please don't use Silicone. Silicone has very little if any adhesive quality's. LifeSeal looks like Silicone but is formulated to have adhesive quality's and is compatible with plastic.

Edited by - islander on 12/01/2017 08:18:24
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2017 :  18:32:19  Show Profile
Ok, thanks Scott. Life seal is on its way. I definitely trust the end users of a product before corporate. Seems straight forward. Any info on how thick each piece is?

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2017 :  18:55:04  Show Profile
About 1/4" or so. Like many items from CD it will need a little sanding for a perfect fit. Not much though. If I remember it was the corners that needed a little rounding. Apply tape to the deck and on the lens so you can smooth the LifeSeal flush with the deck then remove the tape for a nice finished look.A wet finger works. I also put a small weight on top of the light and let it set up overnight. The piece for the interior is just screwed in place to finish off the ceiling. Make it look neat and flush with the ceiling liner. You might not need to replace the interior piece if yours is still in good shape.

Found this. It comes in the kit.

Edited by - islander on 12/07/2017 09:51:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page