Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Big changes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FrankV
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
133 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/24/2017 :  13:32:23  Show Profile
After owning my Cat 25 FK for over 18 years, decided to chuck it all in. And buy a 250 Wing Keel. So not totally to the dark side. The old boat needed much work and I go t tired of always fixing things.

Frank Vaughan
250 WK/SR

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2017 :  13:36:09  Show Profile
Well played. Congrats.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2017 :  10:22:22  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi,

Best of luck with the new C25. I see it is a winger but I don't remember, were the C250s all water ballast ? Or maybe just certain models. Sorry to say, fixing stuff never ends even when you get a brand new boat. But hey, I still envy you the upgrade.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2017 :  13:35:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

Best of luck with the new C25. I see it is a winger but I don't remember, were the C250s all water ballast ?...

The C-250 started out with water ballast (centerboard), wing keel, and fin keel models, as well as a tall mast option. The fin and tall mast apparently were discontinued within a few years, leaving the water ballast and wing for the duration of its roughly 16-year run. I've seen one tall fin--a rarity.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/26/2017 13:41:15
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2017 :  21:50:17  Show Profile
I made the same change a couple of years ago. I really enjoy the comfort of the 250, but some days I truly miss the way the 25 sails.

Tim M
“Perfect Match II”
2003 C350 #35
Cruising FL
PO "Wine Down"
2000 C250 WK #453
PO "Perfect Match"
1983 C25 SR/SK #3932
Lake Belton
Belton, TX
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2017 :  20:18:33  Show Profile
Frank, when the spirit moves you it would be interesting if you wrote a review of the 250 v the 25 -- from the perspective of a 250 newbie. What do you like v what do you miss. Then again, you may have so much fun you will only want to be out sailing!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2017 :  08:04:03  Show Profile
Sounds like Tim could be another reviewer...

I keep wondering what happened to the whole category--the 25' cruising sailboat that can be towed by its owner, has accommodations for comfortable overnighting and modest cruising, can handle some adverse conditions, is fun to sail single-handed (or with non-sailor guests)... The market faded out from under Catalina and others. I'm not sure of the peak, but a quick look at hull numbers in our Boat Search (ignoring some errors) suggests that more C-25s were built in 1983 alone than C-250s in their entire 16 years (?) of production. The C-25 had many competitors in the '80s: O'Day, Cal, Hunter, Macgregor, and other smaller builders. Now there's none of those (new), and there's.... ummm... Beneteau ($80,000+) and.... ummm.... Schock?

I guess I'm just old.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/29/2017 08:06:34
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2017 :  08:34:24  Show Profile
I think it has to do with profit. Manufacturing and selling one large boat makes more profit than manufacturing and selling multiple smaller boats. It's how high end car manufacturer's work.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/01/2017 :  20:57:06  Show Profile
The J-boat folks convinced the next generation that they should have a "sport" boat vs a cruising boat, hence it seems that the new mid 20's ft boats are all designed primarily for looking good on Wednesday nights regardless of the performance -- even if made by Catalina!

And then somewhere a few years ago I read that there are so many good smaller sail boats still available that some sailboat manufacturers', especially when marketing in North America, find they end up competing primarily with their older designs but at a much higher price point. It is amazing how much boat you can find, in reasonably good condition, at very low price points.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page