Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Type of resin
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johngfoster
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
34 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/20/2017 :  13:41:08  Show Profile
Does anyone know what type of resin was used to make these boats (Capri 25)? I need to do some fiberglass repair work on my rudder, and was wanting to make sure I used the correct type of resin.

John Foster
1983 Capri 25
Hull #380

jmadd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2017 :  14:25:53  Show Profile
I've done work all over my Capri using West System Epoxy and never had a problem. Many of the repairs are 15 years old at this point.
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2017 :  14:40:24  Show Profile
It was most assuredly built with polyester resins, but I too have only used epoxy for repairs. Unless you are doing a major amount of work the cost difference should not be significant and it is my understanding that epoxy is a better material.

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2017 :  10:32:18  Show Profile
If you have cracks around the pintles or along the edge of your rudder, you may be interested in reading the numerous discussions on the Forum about rudder repairs and rudder replacements.

The West System of epoxy resin, hardener, fillers and instructions is invaluable for working with fiberglass. They have several large pamphlets that include one on boat repairs.

My story is an example of how some C25 sailors have had rudder issues. I repaired the cracks around my 25 year old rudder's pintles according to the strict requirements of the West System advice. The fiberglass was well layed out past the cracks and very strong. However, I did not replace the rotted plywood core of the rudder - only fixing the fiberglass and then painting it nicely. I did not reinforce the core with thin epoxy or steel rods. The repaired rudder worked fine for a few months, but then one time when I was sailing in 15 knot winds and beating to windward, the rudder snapped at the lower pintle. So I made a temporary 2-inch thick rudder, and ordered a new rudder from CD. It should last a few decades, I suppose.

You can find numerous rudder tales by searching the site.

Do you have photos of your rudder's issues?

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2017 :  19:08:18  Show Profile
John's story is common. If the Capri rudder is wood-cored, the condition of the core, particularly around the level of the lower pintle, is more important than the condition of the fiberglass shell.

Regarding resin, epoxy is the strongest, best adhering to almost everything, and most resistant to osmosis--but it's too expensive for most builders to use for hulls. (Some high-enders do, with stuff like Kevlar mat for thinner, lighter, stronger hulls.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page