Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Which mast step do I have?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

avi
Deckhand

Member Avatar

12 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/21/2017 :  11:41:07  Show Profile
I need to order a mast step for my 1988 Catalina 25 swing keel pop top. I assume I have the standard rig cause the boom is situated fairly high, I have enough clearance above my head( I am 6’0). I called CD to to order one, there are two kinds, standard or tall rig. I was told by the sales person that the only way to determine the one I neeed is to measure the length of the mast, cause maybe it was changed. (I live three hours away from the boat,)can somebody tell me if there is a way to find out which one I need. Maybe mesuring mine? I don’t believe the mast ever been replaced according to previous owner. I am trying to save the trip. Thanks.

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  12:08:18  Show Profile
I think you will have to go to the boat. CD is referring to the height difference. A standard is 28' and a tall is 30'. A tall mast is also a little wider. Tape a tape measure to the main halyard and run it up to the top. Measure from the deck to see which one you have. Another way is to measure the inside width of your mast plate. A standard rig will measure 3 1/8" and a tall rig being a little wider will measure 3 3/8"

STANDARD RIG PLATE
Dimensions:
Length, fore and aft, not including vang and spinnaker loops: 6-3/4"
Inside width: 3-1/8"
Height, overall: 4"

TALL RIG PLATE
Dimensions:
Length, fore and aft, not include vang and spinnaker loops: 6-3/4"
Inside width: 3-3/8"
Height, overall: 4"

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  13:49:59  Show Profile
Do you have your sails at home? If so, the SR main luff is 24'8", and the TR is 27'8". But if the boom clears your head when standing at 6', that sounds even higher than my SR--I'm wondering if you have a TR with a shortened sail. If the luff (pulled taut) measures exactly either one of the above numbers, I'd go with that.

Another possibility: Does your hull# match an entry in our Boat Search listing (perhaps listed by a PO)?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/21/2017 13:59:24
Go to Top of Page

Drews Cruise
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  14:13:16  Show Profile
I would take the trip and measure it if I were you. If you're wrong about it being a short rig you will have to go through the hassle of returning it and it can become an even bigger hassle by having to take two trips instead of one. Maybe find a few more reasons to go down to your boat and kill two birds. Just my opinion. I even thought mine was a SR before measuring it and it turned out to be a TR. Good luck!

Drew C. | 1979 Catalina 25 SK TR #1420
http://bit.ly/Click_Here_For_My_Catalina_25_Videos
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  14:25:31  Show Profile
You could use Dave's suggestion but keep in mind that many of the tall rigs have been converted by raising the boom and using a standard rig sail. The mast is still a tall rig mast.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  15:09:25  Show Profile
However, if you hoist a SR sail all the way to the top of a TR mast, the boom will be something like 8-1/2' above the cockpit sole. So if your sail measures as a SR and the boom is barely above your head at full hoist, I'd say you have a SR. (That assumes you have the sail at home.)

Is the boat in a marina where you could call and ask somebody to measure the width of the mast step or the mast itself? Per Scott's data, the 1/4" tells the story.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/21/2017 15:14:20
Go to Top of Page

avi
Deckhand

Members Avatar

12 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  16:47:53  Show Profile
thank you all for the advices. i think i will drive down to the boat and take comprehansive measurements. I actually have the mast down, the step is twisted and deformed , but thats another issue for another topic when get back.
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2017 :  18:20:51  Show Profile
You could buy both and return the one you don't need. Just saying.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page