Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Jib sheet route
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/16/2017 :  18:55:04  Show Profile
I am trying to fugure out how to route the jib sheets when flying a genoa on our C250.....red sheets. On the other C250 we run the sheets different but it isnt an overlapping sail...it seems like the genoa will drape over the life line or the sheets will chaffe the life line in the 2 images....

any ideas?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/nB4IxhdVPaDUAyFvZhcTZPz0DXrm4LCPDG9H9NbtsQa and

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/LJAKfqDHeXWuoQ8VnlsrX1IBWlDqVKj9ikDlkqG1tCq

our other c250

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/mIz0a1aqvOfX0pN4w4310lR9pTXOSHZDUx9dCFQgaw2
which one is right?

Edited by - vdotmatrix on 10/17/2017 08:36:01

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2017 :  07:46:02  Show Profile
What size jib do you have?
The standard is a 110% and there was an upgrade to 135% from Catalina Yachts.
From the first photo, l'm guessing the other owner bought a 150% or 155%
In that case, the jib tracks aren't long enough.
I have a 150%, but mounted the blocks on the rail closest to the winch.
The first photo looks like the sail would be outside the lifelines and wouldn't do well close hauled.
Please Google sail trim twist, then keep your current setup.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2017 :  13:17:31  Show Profile
The boat with the red sheets is 150 or 155..i forget. The image may be confusing as they used red to outfit the portside fender...i will have to reshoot it.

So in the last image the 135 runs inside the lifeline all the way back through the block on the rail....wenhave the same set but dont use it in the first 2 images.....

The previous owner ran the 150 using that block on the stanchion as in the first picture but the sheet and sail are outboard....does this sound not right?
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2017 :  18:30:45  Show Profile
Route your 135 jib sheets through the jib cars as shown in photo-3 (blue sheets).
When sailing upwind, the jib should be inside the lifelines.
Downwind, the jib will naturally want to be outside the lifelines and sheet will drape over the lifeline, which is no big deal.

If you sail a 135 jib with the rig in photo-1, it will not perform well. The sheeting angle is all wrong and you will not get the right draft or twist. There is a reason why the jib cars are on movable tracks.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

bushav
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  07:34:58  Show Profile
I've experimented with running my sheets over the lifeline and under the lifeline. I can't stand for the sheet to "bend" over the top of the lifeline and prefer for it to have a straight shot to the jib so the tracks are setting the angle of the line. I suppose on a very close reach the jib could be inside the lifeline which would cause me to reroute the sheets. However I have not seen that situation arise.

I want to lower my lifelines at the bow pulpit so the foot of the jib will clear the lifelines. I can't stand staring at the jib piled up on the lifeline up front. All the attention to sail trim and then I have this giant disruption in my airfoil by the lifeline.

Lane

Lane
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  08:19:23  Show Profile
I too think lowering the life line to the bow pulpit make a lot of sense.....P pulled the sheets all in board yesterday so the genoa would be between the LL and the shrounds and it looked good......
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page