Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Sail Trim
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Member Avatar

35 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/15/2017 :  12:21:20  Show Profile
Hello group,

Please offer your comments on my sails and trim and any other constructive comments you may have :

https://youtu.be/eiYLNbZo8Rk

FYI I have been leaving 1/2 a wrap on the furler. It seems to quiet the flapping of my worn head sail.

Thanks

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2017 :  13:19:03  Show Profile
Sail trim and helmsmanship look fairly good. The upper tell tale on the jib appears to be lifting when the lower tell tale is streaming aft. That means the upper jib is twisted off, which usually means that the jib car is too far aft. When it’s windy, and the boat is overpowered, the extra twist helps to depower the sail, but in lighter winds you'll want to power up the sail by reducing the twist. In the video it sounds like the wind is fairly strong, but the boat isn't heeling excessively and the waves appear very flat, so I suspect that powering it up would have been a good move.

I suggest you attach tell tales to the leech of the mainsail. They will tell you two important things: 1. if the air is flowing smoothly off the surface of the sail, and 2. if the mainsail twist is adjusted correctly. Often the lower tell tales will fly smoothly, but the upper ones won't. That suggests that the sail has too little or too much twist.

After replaying the video, I see that your mainsail has tell tales on the leech. I only saw the two top ones, and they didn't appear to be streaming most of the time. I'd say the sail needed more twist, which would be done by very slightly easing the mainsheet and perhaps the boom vang.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2017 :  13:28:10  Show Profile
By the way, what is flapping on your jib? Is it the leech? If so, it's possible that leaving the jib partly furled is eliminating the symptom without correcting the cause. If the leech is flapping, that can usually be corrected by adjusting the leech line that runs up the leech of the sail. Moving the car forward a little, to reduce twist in the jib might also help a little. Often what we perceive as a worn out sail is really a matter of sail trim.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Members Avatar

35 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2017 :  04:14:12  Show Profile
Thanks for your help! I think you have identified the problem of the excessive flapping. The top 1/3 of leech line pocket is ripped open and the leech line cannot be tightened effectively

I am getting a new head sail soon (135%) so I can get this 110% repaired. The sunbrella cover is also disintegrating.

I have also started moving the jib tracks further forward recently in stronger winds and this seems to help. During this video they were in the 2nd position back from the foremost position.

Thanks again

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page