Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast raising system (preferably A-Frame)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yachtsea
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/14/2017 :  06:52:07  Show Profile
Hi,

Does anyone have a set of instructions (or a place to purchase) a proven mast raising system for a C25 Std please? I have been searching and while I see many available, including the one for a Capri25 I tried last week, I'm hoping for something specific to my 1986 C25 so I can anticipate its mounting without the need to change the direction of the anchors for the forward lowers or fasten it to the stantions or ... maybe that's how it has to be done but seems like someone who did this over and over would have something more integrated. I've perused the WWW and viewed many-a-video of gin pole systems and A-frames but didn't see one that specifically addresses the C25.

Thanks,

Carl

Carl Sattler

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2017 :  17:44:12  Show Profile
Use the search function in this forum and you should find some nice setups. I don't know of anything made commercially just for the C25.

Here's one that's pretty popular amongst some of us. I use this one and have raised and lowered my mast twice solo with no helpers.

This was in the Technical Tips section on the left side of this page.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/tech/tech25/bearsad1.asp

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 09/14/2017 17:48:41
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  05:30:22  Show Profile
You will need to build an a-frame. I used 3/4" EMT tubing. Using a hacksaw, vice, drill and a file. I made a few videos and you can see the construction of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsLxujYRsMQ

I also had photos of the parts, however Photobucket has gone full retard and you cannot see them any longer........

Some video of it in use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r33VCObNroY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwrmxKPdaY4

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  22:47:39  Show Profile
David's system and videos are excellent. I watched his videos numerous times before dropping my mast for the first time.

There is another way to drop the mast, which is forward. Dropping the mast forward was necessary for me because I have a permanently installed bimini over the aft end of the cockpit.

If you want to drop the mast forward, you do not need any additional hardware. You use the boom as a gin pole. The mainsheet tackle provides enough leverage to ease the mast down and raise it.

You must run guy lines from the aft end of the boom to your jib cleats to keep the boom vertical as the mast comes down. If you do not run guy lines, the boom will flop to one side of the boat as the mast comes down. The guy lines should be eased or trimmed to keep them taught as the mast lowers, and the same as it rises.

Also, when you drop the mast forward, you disconnect the aft lower shrouds. This is unlike dropping the mast aft, for which you disconnect the forward lower shrouds.

You also need to loosen the upper shrouds 7-8 turns or so.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 09/16/2017 09:32:53
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2017 :  06:34:13  Show Profile
The trick parts are you need rigid legs, whether pipe or 2x3s or 2x4s, length of the legs ought to be 8-9 ft (longer is better), but the key part is the knuckles that link from the bottom of the legs to the main chain plates holding the upper shrouds. This should be a 4-6" piece of 1" or 1.5" EMT pipe that serves as a rigid pivot point for the legs.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2017 :  08:56:21  Show Profile
You must also loosen the the uppers 7-8 turns to accommodate the mast rising slightly as it pivots over its aft or forward edge or you will bend the lower t-bolt.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2017 :  09:31:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

You must also loosen the the uppers 7-8 turns to accommodate the mast rising slightly as it pivots over its aft or forward edge or you will bend the lower t-bolt.

Thanks, Dave. I forgot we actually had to do that to get the mast to even start to lower. I've added that to my post above.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2017 :  08:30:33  Show Profile
I'll second that DavyJ's method is excellent. I was able to use the receiver on my van to bend the flattened ends of the pipes to get the angles I wanted. No need for a vice! Be careful not to bend them too far.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

yachtsea
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2017 :  09:10:38  Show Profile
Thanks all. I've seen some portion of that video in past but it is more clear now what specific hardware was used. My chief concerns hovered around how to stabilize the rig during raising/lowering and how to estimate the line needed to fully lower. I'll give this a shot and maybe it'll work on my 16 as well.
Go to Top of Page

rhbush
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  16:17:12  Show Profile
I purchased an a-frame from these people years ago and have used it many times on many different boats. It is not specifically built for the C-25, but works great on one. I wanted something that I knew would not break or give way at the worst possible time.

http://sail-trailers.com/mast_raising

Ralph Bush
1989 WK TR
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  17:01:39  Show Profile
These instructions for the A frame were great. I built mine, not too difficult. Be careful and make sure you get a strong enough eye bolt. I got a cast one the others didnt have a lot of strengh only 200 lbs. 1000 lbs Maybe overkill. Now I have to take it out and fit it to the lower stantions.
I have to get the right size clevis pins

I have a problem though after reading the directions on lowering. I only have a main halyard. My Jib Halyard is stuck up top of the mast . In the instructions it says to use the jib halyard to hold the mast in place while you move the forestay to the frame to prevent the mast from falling. Can you use the main halyard for the same thing, even though it comes off the opposite side of the mast head. Or can I just throw a line over spreaders and tie off on bow.

Once I get the mast down Ill fix it so I can use the jib halyard as a topping lift and to lower the mast. but will it be ok as a topping lift if its coming off the bow side of the mast head?

quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

You will need to build an a-frame. I used 3/4" EMT tubing. Using a hacksaw, vice, drill and a file. I made a few videos and you can see the construction of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsLxujYRsMQ

I also had photos of the parts, however Photobucket has gone full retard and you cannot see them any longer........

Some video of it in use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r33VCObNroY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwrmxKPdaY4

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  17:51:40  Show Profile
If you like you can use the main halyard or a friend can just put a little forward pressure on the mast. Honestly my mast just stood there and you will probably have to push it to get it going down.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2017 :  11:43:47  Show Profile
quote:
I only have a main halyard. My Jib Halyard is stuck up top of the mast .

If you are lowering on the hard or trailer, and/or have helpers, you probably don't need to employ the jib/main halyard. Just have a helper keep the mast upright until you are ready to go.

In my case, I was essentially doing the whole process, by myself, while the boat was underway. The admiral only steered the boat and helped to feed out the halyard and furling lines as the mast came down.

And as Islander pointed out, I usually had to give a tug on the backstay just to get things rolling.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2017 :  08:49:28  Show Profile
I watched a guy and his two buddies using a gin pole to drop the mast on his Precision 23. He led a line to the spreaders area instead of using the forestay. Almost bent the mast when it was nearly horizontal. Amazing what people will rig up.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

jmczzz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
92 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2017 :  13:13:29  Show Profile
this is from my kiss aframe system, i think i got most of the idea from the original how to manual:
made it myself from 2 home depot studs $2.19 ea.
1.I drilled holes at the end next to the deck and simply tie that end tightly to the miggle shrouds eyebolts with a short piece of 1/4 nylon.and a pice of old carpet under the wood stay to protect deck.
2.then make a loop about 3 - 4 ft high tied between the mid and aft shroud eye bolts or turnbuckles. on the loop place a SS ring.
3.fasten 2 "baby stays" of line to loops and around mast as high off deck as I can reach.
4. fasten main halyard to the two "baby stays" at mast, haul up tight.
then use mast mounted winch to raise lower mast. solo on hard or water

1978 C25 SK SR # 808

Edited by - jmczzz on 10/15/2017 13:36:45
Go to Top of Page

yachtsea
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2017 :  14:27:50  Show Profile
Hi everyone. Been awhile, apologies but thanks for your input. I wound up borrowing a proven 25's A-frame and while it was perfectly-tuned for my boat, I think it weighed in at 45lbs. For those reading, I will second that removing the forward lowers is obvious but less obvious is to loosen the cap shrouds, about 7-8 turns as previously mentioned, perhaps more if you tune your mast to a high C.
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2017 :  19:54:38  Show Profile
We are getting ready tomorrow or the next day to raise our mast and a friends mast for what seems like the hundredth time. We use the electrical conduit a-frame design. It is heavier than the one for the C22, but not that heavy. NEVER would recommend using wood. I have seen three wood systems shatter and throw splinters that were deadly, besides ruining a good mast. There is one point of tremendous downward force when lifting the mast with a the a-frame. Sometimes we use the boat trailer winch and sometimes the mainsheet block and tackle to the a-frame. I like to use the boat trailer winch and my husband likes to use the block and tackle. I will try to take pics and post.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page