Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Yes I Am, No I'm Not, Yes I Am.....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2017 :  15:31:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

...My guess is that as Catalina is still in business...

So is Tartan.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  06:02:34  Show Profile
Kyle, I see you've listed her on the Swap Meet--an impressive package! So what does that say about your next move--is something specific in your sights?

BTW, SailingTexas.com is a good place to list her for free. (They ask for a donation if you're satisfied.)

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/29/2017 06:11:57
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  06:29:53  Show Profile
We are moving to a bigger boat, see my thread in the 25 section. The admiral is piloting this ship, I'm just wondering what she ends up with. Reluctant sale on my part but I don't want 2 boats.

I was gathering some additional photos before advertising on sailingtexas.

Edit: I thought this was the swap meet post! Sorry, busy morning and multi tasking.
She is dead set on a live aboard for at least the first year of retirement. I told her I'm ok with that as long as we get some experience before heading to salt water. Maybe a year or two on the Great Lakes before heading south. We're still pretty green!

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...

Edited by - Kper on 08/29/2017 06:38:12
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  08:03:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kper

She is dead set on a live aboard for at least the first year of retirement. I told her I'm ok with that as long as we get some experience before heading to salt water. Maybe a year or two on the Great Lakes before heading south. We're still pretty green!

You might want to consider bringing the boat to the Chesapeake Bay area for that first year, to get some experience. The Bay is big enough to be challenging, but small enough to still be sheltered.

A great way to gain ocean sailing experience is to participate in the annual cruise around Delmarva. You sail in a group from Annapolis north through the canal to the Delaware Bay, then into the Atlantic, then south to Norfolk, where you'll re-enter the Bay. Finally you'll return to Annapolis. You'll get your feet wet on ocean sailing in a supervised setting.

You can also volunteer to crew in distance races on the Bay, such as the all-night Governor's Cup and the Boomerang Regatta. You'll learn how to choose the most efficient headings with respect to the wind and waves, and how to establish watches, so that some crew sleep while others sail the boat, assuring that you always have rested crew.

You can also volunteer to crew on a yacht delivery, where you'll see how a licensed, professional mariner prepares for a cruise. He'll inspect the yacht thoroughly, much like a surveyor, to learn where all the thru hull valves are, how the boat is maintained, how all the systems work, and where it's weaknesses are.

There's a lot that can be learned on the Bay, and lots of destinations to sail to in the meanwhile.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  08:50:24  Show Profile
Steve, that's a possibility. Sounds like the type of experience I'm looking for. Thanks for the info, I'll share this with her. What's the best way to find a boat to crew on in the bay?

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  10:19:20  Show Profile
Check with me when you get here. I know lots of racers who need crew, myself included. Also, you can put yourself on the Spinsheet website's listing of people available to crew. Here's a link. https://www.spinsheet.com/crew-finder Spinsheet also hosts a party every spring to connect boats with crew. I sometimes attend it looking for crew. I have, in the past, simply walked the docks prior to a big race, like the Screwpile Regatta, and asked if anyone needs crew. Probably the most important factor in getting a crew position on a boat is to show up as often as you can for races. Some people show up once or twice and that's it. Others are spotty in their attendance. Skippers really appreciate crew who show up regularly. If I like the boat, I make a personal commitment to be there as often as possible. When the skipper explains how he wants you to do something, listen carefully, and try to do it his way.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  10:43:01  Show Profile
Ok, so this will definitely be a post retirement endeavour, we don't want to be hit-and-miss type of crew members. I can fully understand the need for dependable crew. I am considering crewing locally on a C30. Not the fastest boat but that's not important to me. Once we retire, Steve, you may be hearing from us!

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  11:05:03  Show Profile
Steve's right about the Chesapeake, and there are other coastal places that are more user-friendly than the Great Lakes (where I spent my first 30 years). Long Island Sound, for example, is protected from the Atlantic but is a large body with many destinations--then there's Block Island, the Naragansett, and the Mass. Islands when you are ready to venture "outside". Summer is nicer than on the Chesapeake, But it gets a little colder here, and down there you're at the head of the "ditch" to FL.

There might be salt in the water, but there are more places to go and stay. Take a close look at the maps of the MD and CT shores.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  11:51:52  Show Profile
There is comfort in familiarity and the lakes are familiar to us. Leaving the lakes is a nervous hump we need to get over. I know once we gather experience and begin to explore new areas it will become easier and more exciting.

I know nothing about Chesapeake Bay but I attended a class a couple months ago and met a guy who runs his fishing boat through the Chesapeake. He stressed that there were times of day when you wouldn't want to run a sailboat through there. Something about ship traffic.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  14:41:21  Show Profile

quote:

I know nothing about Chesapeake Bay but I attended a class a couple months ago and met a guy who runs his fishing boat through the Chesapeake. He stressed that there were times of day when you wouldn't want to run a sailboat through there. Something about ship traffic.

If you could see how many sailboats are racing and cruising up and down the Bay and across the commercial shipping channel at all hours of the day and night, you'd know how preposterous his remark was.

The most crowded part of the Bay is at Annapolis, just south of the Bay Bridge. That's also where all the Annapolis race courses are set up. On weekends, hundreds of sailboats race through that area, sailing back and forth across the commercial shipping channel. There are nearly always 2-3 ships anchored there waiting for their turn to offload at the port of Baltimore, and we sail around them. Big ships occasionally pass through the area while we're racing, and we simply stay out of their way. We have to share the Bay with them, and they have to share it with us.

For a newcomer to the Bay, the simplest way to avoid big ships is to stay out of the well marked commercial shipping lane. Big ships never leave their shipping lane. With experience, you'll learn how to sail across and through the shipping lane. If you're paying attention, big ships really don't sneak up on you, and you have ample time to avoid them.

The only big commercial vessels that operate outside the commercial lane are tugs with barges, but they are infrequent and typically slow and easy to avoid.

I don't understand why some people want to scare folks with remarks like that, but don't let him influence you. Come whenever you think you're ready. You'll love it here.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  15:37:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Come whenever you think you're ready. You'll love it here.

Deal!

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2017 :  19:31:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

quote:

If you could see how many sailboats are racing and cruising up and down the Bay and across the commercial shipping channel at all hours of the day and night, you'd know how preposterous his remark was.

The most crowded part of the Bay is at Annapolis, just south of the Bay Bridge. That's also where all the Annapolis race courses are set up. On weekends, hundreds of sailboats race through that area, sailing back and forth across the commercial shipping channel. There are nearly always 2-3 ships anchored there waiting for their turn to offload at the port of Baltimore, and we sail around them. Big ships occasionally pass through the area while we're racing, and we simply stay out of their way. We have to share the Bay with them, and they have to share it with us.

For a newcomer to the Bay, the simplest way to avoid big ships is to stay out of the well marked commercial shipping lane. Big ships never leave their shipping lane. With experience, you'll learn how to sail across and through the shipping lane. If you're paying attention, big ships really don't sneak up on you, and you have ample time to avoid them.

The only big commercial vessels that operate outside the commercial lane are tugs with barges, but they are infrequent and typically slow and easy to avoid.

I don't understand why some people want to scare folks with remarks like that, but don't let him influence you. Come whenever you think you're ready. You'll love it here.

One thing to keep in mind with tugs and barges is sometimes tugs are pulling barges and have a looong tow cable up to 1/4 mile long. Be careful cutting between a tug and a barge that may appear to be by itself in the bay.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2017 :  21:08:22  Show Profile
Another caution is that large commercial ships can play tricks on your eyes, and close on you much faster than you expect when you first see them. Compared to pleasure boats, they look like they're barely moving, but they might well be making 15-20 knots (more than that for Great Lakes ore boats). And they're not changing course much for the rest of us. (Restricted by draft, "Rule of Tonnage", etc...) But around here, they do talk on the radio. ("Sailboat south of Race Rock, this is the tanker Siberian Sun westbound in The Race.")

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/31/2017 21:18:32
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2017 :  04:57:29  Show Profile
Commercial vessels pick up a pilot when they enter the Bay, so the person who is actually navigating the vessel through the Bay is experienced in dealing with the small vessels. One pilot I have heard frequently at night is a woman who does an especially good job at night by using frequent radio communications and a strong spotlight to see small vessels clearly. I'm sure the pilots are aware of scheduled night races.

I'm embarrassed to say that I unintentionally got in the way of a big commercial vessel once. I altered course to avoid it, and didn't know that his deep water channel turned sharply at that point, and my new heading crossed his intended course. I think he realized that I tried to avoid him, and made a mistake, so he didn't blow his horn at me, as they usually do. He actually stopped the ship and waited for me to get clear. If they blow their horn at you, start the engine, alter course and get out of their way as quickly as you can. In any case, they aren't of a mind to run you down. Presumably that would require hours of reports and paperwork.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2017 :  06:43:57  Show Profile
...and I got in the way of an outgoing submarine as I was going up the Thames River by Groton recently... The USCG hadn't issued their first radio warning yet, so I was visited by some Navy patrol boats with deck guns. They very politely ordered me to move to the far bank of the river and hold there... but they had machine guns!

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/01/2017 06:46:16
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2017 :  09:27:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

...but they had machine guns!

Doesn't that, in itself, give them right of way? lol!

Kyle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page