Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Trailer To Increase Market Value
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

814 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/12/2017 :  11:23:18  Show Profile
Does a roadworthy trailer increase a Catalina 25's market value?

For example, say a Catalina 25 can be sold for $6,000 by itself. A trailer can be purchased at book value for $2,000. So that would be $8,000. Might they be more valuable, say $10,000, if marketed together?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2017 :  12:50:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

Does a roadworthy trailer increase a Catalina 25's market value?

For example, say a Catalina 25 can be sold for $6,000 by itself. A trailer can be purchased at book value for $2,000. So that would be $8,000. Might they be more valuable, say $10,000, if marketed together?

I'd guess it would depend on how bad the buyer wanted a trailer. If the buyer doesn't need a trailer, it might be a liability, because he would have to store it someplace until he can sell it. If he wants a trailer, he might be willing to pay a little more to get them both.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2017 :  13:25:53  Show Profile
First, I doubt the values $6,000 + $2,000 will add up to $8,000, much less $10,000. Your trailer will be "used" when you sell the boat--the buyer could hypothetically buy a new trailer for the same amount you "invested"... And as Steve says, will any particular buyer even want a trailer?

To that second point, your geographic area and venues could say a lot. If you live or sail in an environment where boats sit in marinas and are stored in the marinas' yards off-season, a buyer is likely to plan to do the same, and a trailer would be of little or no (or negative) value. For example, I wouldn't have paid for one...

If, however, you and most likely buyers sail on lakes and store boats in back yards, a trailer has a higher probability of being an asset. But not on a "profitable" basis, and probably not covering your cost. It's all a function of probabilities.

Now if the C-25 was a practical "trailer sailer" (like the C-22), meaning the set-up, launching, retrieving, and take-down are reasonable activities for spending a day on the water, then things would be different. But I don't consider the C-25 to be a "trailer sailer"--it's a transportable cruiser that requires a serious tow vehicle and more effort to do all of the above than most people would consider to be reasonable for a day-sail.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/12/2017 13:41:26
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2017 :  14:04:58  Show Profile
I recently spent $6K on a new aluminum trailer, but I would expect to recoup a thousand or so in my selling price. In most non-coastal environments I expect it to increase perceived value and curb appeal instead of cash value.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2017 :  14:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

When I bought my boat I wasn't aware of the difference between trailer sailor and transportable. I had been interested in the C25 for many years before I bought one. And honestly, thought it was a normal trailer sailor. How quickly I learned the difference. Not only does a prospective buyer need to consider his/her sailing venue, be it lakes or sea coast, you must also consider the added cost of a towing vehicle that is up to the job. My boat sat on its trailer in a storage yard for a year while I worked on her, getting her ready to put in the water. Once she was far enough along in her repairs and restorations I was able to put her into a slip. Having no wish to ever trailer her again I sold her trailer. And as a matter of fact, got back almost everything I spent to buy her in the first place. If I were in the market for a real trailer sailor. One that could be both trailed and rigged easily, I would never buy a C25. But in her slip, always rigged up and ready to go, I couldn't ask for a better boat for my purposes.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 08/12/2017 :  18:31:43  Show Profile
A have to agree on some of the points brought up. I love trailering my C25 from Michigan to Florida for 6 weeks or so. I bring it back and put it in the shed to modify it some more or perform really good maintenance during the summer back in MI.
It is correct that it is not a trailer sailor for a day of sailing but I can go to places with it that I otherwise would not be able .
I paid $6k for my trailer and don't regret it. I don't think that it adds a lot of value if I sell it but may put the deal over the edge. I don't expect to get all my money back from the trailer if and when I sell the boat but then again it was for MY convenience.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2017 :  12:26:08  Show Profile
Here as in all the places where trailers are REQUIRED it is often the case that you pay for the trailer and out board and the boat is pretty much free.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2017 :  15:36:31  Show Profile
If you do not have haul-out and repair facilities at your "water" where you keep your boat, a trailer is a must have, IMHO. I had a problem early on after I bought my boat, requiring a haul-out, and had to scramble to find a trailer to borrow. After several months of searching online, I found a C-25 trailer in another state and bought it. It was worth the extra cost!

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2017 :  18:56:27  Show Profile
Well, I'm now the proud owner of a 2003 EZ Loader tandem axle trailer with electric brakes. Tangier Island and Dry Tortugas are within reach!

The trailer was built for a fin keel. The bunks are adjustable. Should I leave them as is in case I sell the trailer by itself later, or should I lower the bunks (requires I cut the supports) to make trailering my swing keel easier?

Fin keel owners, please weigh in about trailering with high center of gravity on trailer.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 08/15/2017 19:09:25
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2017 :  19:28:54  Show Profile
Hmmmmm... Well, the primary advantage of the SK over an equivalent FK is trailering--easier launching and retrieving, lower C/G for towing, and easier boarding when on the trailer. Given that, I'd say the probabilities are that the trailer might be worth more as a feature of the boat--a part of the package--than the boat and trailer are separately--particularly if the boat doesn't sell without the trailer. I'd list them together as a package--you just might find a buyer who would prefer the boat by itself, in which case you could de-package them. But selling a swinger without a trailer could be much more difficult, and it sounds like selling the boat is your primary goal.

How about lowering the bunks as far as possible (without doing any cutting)? You could point out to a potential buyer that some minor surgery could make it lower... (?)

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2017 :  07:26:45  Show Profile
If you're gonna trailer your boat to the Dry Tortugas, I think you'll need to extend the bunks to the max

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2017 :  10:28:56  Show Profile
Painting the bottom is better and you can do swing keel maintenance on the trailer with the fin bunk height. Keep it if you can. We use a crane so I would have loved a fin trailer under my 82 swinger.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2017 :  16:05:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

Painting the bottom is better and you can do swing keel maintenance on the trailer with the fin bunk height. Keep it if you can. We use a crane so I would have loved a fin trailer under my 82 swinger.

Plus you can see the traffic that's behind you better!

I agree, lower as much possible and enjoy.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2017 :  17:55:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Plus you can see the traffic that's behind you better!

...if the vehicle behind you or the one you're driving is a Freightliner...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2017 :  13:53:36  Show Profile
Anyone that can not see the value of a trailer is not seeing clearly the cost of storage. How many seasons does it take to recover the cost of a trailer - let me see i have had my boat out of the water for the past 3 months that is 900 bucks and i will just put it back when i need it. No pull out charges and all my maintenance done at my leasure. It's a no brainer!!!!

Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2017 :  14:20:19  Show Profile
Sorry, but can be a "brainer"... I had no place to put a C-25 on a trailer or vehicle to safely tow it. And salt water eats trailers--slowly but surely, as I learned with a previous boat.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2017 :  11:20:15  Show Profile
Ya if you have no place to put it and you are not going to maintain it well that is a no brainer also.

Slim

quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Sorry, but can be a "brainer"... I had no place to put a C-25 on a trailer or vehicle to safely tow it. And salt water eats trailers--slowly but surely, as I learned with a previous boat.

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2017 :  07:31:06  Show Profile
The trailer I mentioned was a fin keel "factory" trailer by Trail-Rite made for the C25. I bought it even though I had a swing keel boat, because I had hoped to syndicate it with other C25 owners at our marina, and one had a fin keel boat. That never happened, but I'm still glad I bought it because it made bottom work so much easier. Also, I have space at home to store it, so that was not a problem. The guy who bought our boat did have storage issues, so he did not but the trailer, and I sold it later by itself.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page