Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 best way to drain C250 water tank?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Member Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/24/2017 :  09:41:08  Show Profile
I have the 12 gallon hand pump water system and need to drain the tank. Hand pumping until the tank is empty sucks, so, what is a better method? Thanks, Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
PORT CHIEF, Bodega Bay Ca.
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890

Edited by - Chief RA on 06/24/2017 12:35:57

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2017 :  14:22:46  Show Profile
Install a auto-demand-switched pump in the system, and replace your hand pump with a regular faucet. Happiness is running water!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/24/2017 14:24:04
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2017 :  14:39:38  Show Profile
Dave: I like the pump system for general use as it saves water waste. My problem is when the water needs to be drained out of the tank as it is old and tastes bad. All that pumping takes a long time. Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2017 :  11:41:26  Show Profile
I was mostly kidding, Chief, and realize you're looking for a solution to a more immediate problem. But I do like that my demand pump (1) provides water flow in the sink when I turn the faucet on, (2) can generate some wash-down spray from a nozzle and hose that I can connect to the faucet, (3) flush my head by holding the pedal down, and (4) empty the tank each fall by turning on the faucet, and then pull antifreeze through the hoses the same way.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2017 :  12:15:16  Show Profile
Does the tank have an inspection port on top? If yes use a drill pump. Run the hose into the cockpit. https://www.walmart.com/ip/DRILL-PUMP-KH53/104409107?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1194&adid=22222222228045574918&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=95449034930&wl4=pla-218008359650&wl5=9004434&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112550058&wl11=online&wl12=104409107&wl13=&veh=sem

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2017 :  09:08:30  Show Profile
No access on top of tank. Do you guys think using a clear flex tubing piece put in the pipe after removing one of the pumps would work for a syphon tube? Tape it good for sealing and syphon into a bucket? Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

csmcg
1st Mate

Members Avatar

96 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2017 :  01:40:20  Show Profile
I disconnect the galley sink connector where the tubing from the tank attaches to the inlet side of the galley sink pump.

Then I disconnect the drain hose from the bottom of the galley sink.

The diameters of the two lines allow you to press one line into the other for a pretty good seal, so now you have a direct line from the tank to the sink-drain through-hull.

Then I wedge a piece of rubber tubing into the exterior side of galley sink drain through-hull so that there is a reasonable seal.

Now you can start a siphon that will empty the water tank.

Regards.
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2017 :  13:11:36  Show Profile
I drilled a 4" access hole as an inspection port in the top of my boat's water tank to clean it out. I siphoned out most of the water and then mopped up the rest.

But I have used my shop vac to quickly remove accumulated dirt from several 55 gallon rain barrels this last spring. I connected a 2" diameter plastic accordion extension tube to the 3" diameter shop vac tube with duct tape. The (2 or 3 gallon?) shop vac tank filled up in about 10 seconds, and I could tell by the change in motor noise how much water was in the shop vac tank and stopped the motor before it submerged. Before that I had tried to use a West Marine hand pump to clean out the rain barrels, and it would have taken me many hours. The shop vac really sucks water up fast! Otherwise, you might be able to connect a shop vac directly somehow to the water system without cutting open your water tank.

I would not want to set up a shop vac in the boat cabin, since it could overflow and make a big mess there. The extension tube allows you to place the shop vac at a certain distance from the water tank, such as in the cockpit or on the dock.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 12/28/2017 :  07:10:46  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
Like the conversations above, I too found emptying the tank to be a problem with the hand pump. So, started by cutting a hole in the top of the tank and adding an inspection port. With my boat on the trailer, I then pulled the knot meter which is located directly in front of the tank. Inserted a hose into the tank, sucked on the hose to get a flow going and shoved the end of the hose out the hole in the bottom of the boat via the knot meter housing.

Ultimately, I ended up adding a pressure pump and now just turn on the faucets and let it run.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page