Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Keel bolt tap and drill
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/23/2017 :  23:23:50  Show Profile
Greetings everyone.
Looking ahead I'll be 'sistering' the existing very rusted keel bolts with new ones. I know the 'kit' is available from Catalina but was looking to save a few $$$. Does anyone have a tap and drill left over from one of these repairs they would like to part with?

Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2017 :  09:34:40  Show Profile
Hi Jan... I can't help there--mine had SS studs molded into a lead keel. But if I had mild steel bolts into cast iron, even if I planned to add bolts, the first thing I'd do is to liberally apply a penetrating lube like WD-40 so capillary action might get it down into the threads, and then smear something like roofing cement over the bolts. Hopefully this would retard the deterioration of the old bolts. (I have yet to hear of a fin keel falling of a C-25. )

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2017 :  23:52:36  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply Dave.
I have heard it said exactly what you stated that they don't fall off and I'm kind of relying on that for this season. I may try the WD / roofing tar to as you say retard the rusting, that said, the existing nuts are almost completely gone, and the studs are very very rusted, so much so you could never get a die to run over the tiny bumps that were once threads. I'm not too concerned about hitting anything but I have often been in weather where the hull takes a good pounding.

If I have to I'll go with the Catalina kit, was hoping to save a few bucks is all.

On another topic, IC you are in nearby CT, do you ever sail out to Block Island? I was planning on doing that in the next few weeks.
From a few miles out off Point Jude I can see the Block so that was the route I was going to go: Point Jude then to the Block.
Of course I'd only attempt this in reasonable weather. Thoughts?

Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Go to Top of Page

VictorS
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Mexico
32 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2017 :  11:49:38  Show Profile
Jan, I will need to work on my keel bolts also; since I am getting familiar with terms, what you meant with "tap"? About the drill, which kind/size is needed? Thanks

Victor Salcedo
1978 C25. #453. FK. SR. L.
CTYK0453M78C
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2017 :  12:16:07  Show Profile
A tap cuts the threads in the hole you make with the drill bit.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2017 :  12:42:06  Show Profile
Jan, Is your keel lead or cast iron? Lead is much easier to do. Drill the holes and use lag bolts. Cast iron requires you to drill the holes, Tap the holes, Insert a threaded rod, Put the washers and nuts on then cut off the threaded rod above the nuts.

Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2017 :  21:41:35  Show Profile
Scott, my 82 C25 has an iron keel. I'm aware of the process that needs to happen. I was hoping to find someone that has already done the repair. Once completed the drill and tap would be left over. I'm sure I could come up with the necessary SS threaded rod, nuts and washers. I'm not 100% sure of the size but I suspect 5/8 threaded rod.

Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2017 :  10:02:47  Show Profile
Yeh, Don't know the size of the bit. The CD kit uses 18"long bit. Honestly I can see that you would need a few drilling cast iron. Surprised they only give you one.

Go to Top of Page

VictorS
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Mexico
32 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2017 :  19:23:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JanS48

Scott, my 82 C25 has an iron keel. I'm aware of the process that needs to happen. I was hoping to find someone that has already done the repair. Once completed the drill and tap would be left over. I'm sure I could come up with the necessary SS threaded rod, nuts and washers. I'm not 100% sure of the size but I suspect 5/8 threaded rod.

Thanks
Jan

Jan,
Please count me in to share expenses on the tap and I can also use advice on which drill/rods/nuts/washers to buy. I have not found on the forums or in google pictures/videos on the process so hopefully we can document ours for the benefit fo someone else. When do you expect to do it? Regards.

Victor Salcedo
1978 C25. #453. FK. SR. L.
CTYK0453M78C
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2017 :  22:25:59  Show Profile
Greetings Victor
I'm planning on doing the repair this winter while the boat is on hard. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

82 C25 SR FK
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2017 :  19:08:21  Show Profile
Jan

From day one I have been very concerned about my keel bolts. My boat was abandoned and the PO(s) did not take care of anything. I have had to do tons of refurbishing and upgrades but, to a person, EVERY professional -- three boat yards, reputable surveyor, riggers, etc., etc., have told me that as bad as the keel bolts look they are just fine, and "will out last me and the rest of the boat" When I have asked why they think so the responses include: 1. that the boat was not designed for offshore work and sailing on protected water (Long Island Sound) I will not be in severe conditions, even if I go up or down the East Coast, and 2. because Catalina built a solid boat -- not fancy, but solid. Many have said Catalina's are like Chevrolets -- solid but basic. After six seasons I gave in and had the bottom stripped, cast iron keel faired, barrier point applied, and decided that rather than worrying I should just sail her. Six seasons after doing that I still have no leaks and all looks the same as the day I got her. So, before you go crazy on such a big project, get some objective opinions from other reputable folk and maybe you can save the time and resources.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2017 :  20:16:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JanS48

On another topic, IC you are in nearby CT, do you ever sail out to Block Island? I was planning on doing that in the next few weeks.
From a few miles out off Point Jude I can see the Block so that was the route I was going to go: Point Jude then to the Block.
Of course I'd only attempt this in reasonable weather. Thoughts?

Block from Point Judith is about half the distance as from Mystic. However, in the prevailing SWerlies, you'll have to make some tacks unless you motor-sail out. I didn't sail out there (before I sold the C-25), but I've motored out from Mystic. If you're thinking of a day-sail, you might want to go to Old Harbor in town on the east side. If staying over, Great Salt Pond on the west side has a huge mooring field (for a slight fee) and anchorage area (free), as well as marinas to dinghy to, and some restaurants on the water. It's a fairly short walk to town and shorter across the dune to the beach on the east side There's some transient space in the marinas, but they're full of NJ/NY stinkpots and can be noisy at night.

Going back to Point Judith will likely be a broad reach in following seas. If the forecast is E or NE, you'll probably want to wait.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/26/2017 20:21:35
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2017 :  00:20:27  Show Profile
To Peter B.
Thanks for the info, for the past three seasons I have done just that, took a wait-and-see and nothing has happened. I may do exactly as you suggest, however my main concern is that I do occasionally venture out off shore some. On several occasions I've run into weather where the hull took a good pounding for a few hours at a time - so far so good no leaks and everything seems fine.

To Dave
Thanks so much for the info, I was planning on staying at a marina / mooring.
I'll be attempting the Block sometime this month. Lately the wind has been out of the SW mostly, that said, on my trip back from Point Jude to Newport it has been with a following sea. The whisker pole is working well and I have a preventer rigged on the starboard side. That seems to keep the boat stable.
Thanks again
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page