Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 mantus anchor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/20/2017 :  05:36:23  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
Last year I picked up a 25 pound mantus anchor off craigslist. I finnally used it on fathers day in 20 knot gusts. IMO the design is very good. It set very deep in the mud. I had a heck of a time getting it up. Should have just run the rode back to a winch and brought it up that way. I am however more confident in the mantus than the danforth i previously used.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  07:22:26  Show Profile
I would suspect that the Mantus outweighs the Danforth by 10 lbs. In mud especially, I think that the Danforth will out hold the Mantus if they are of equal weight. Don't misunderstand my assessment, I think your Mantus will be fine but weight is more the differential. Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
PORT CHIEF, Bodega Bay Ca.
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  07:34:58  Show Profile
Weight isn't always the main factor--look at how well aluminum Fortress anchors work in independent comparison tests. With adequate scope, an anchor digs into mud or sand based on its shape at least as much as its weight. However, without scope, indeed a block of concrete is best.

One thing that can help break a buried anchor out is maneuvering to a position where the rode is pulling almost vertically but at a slight angle opposite to the angle at which the anchor was set. But sometimes it just takes patience. It's taken me a while to get my Delta up a few times after 36 hours or so on the hook.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/20/2017 07:43:43
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  07:49:10  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
it outweighs it by a great deal as it is a fortress, came with the boat. would have liked to maneuver over the anchor, but was just me! ill run it back to the cockpit next time where I can do it all without having to worry about snagging that anchor line.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  07:52:33  Show Profile
Dave: I didn't say weight is always the major factor. The Danforth design is its major factor but weight is another consideration, otherwise we would all use an 8 lb anchor!. We don't know how much chain is being used either plus the scope. This is just my assessment of the 2 anchor performances. One test is not a full accessment either. I had one of the fluke aluminum anchors and it didn't perform near as well as an equal size Danforth. I used the aluminum anchor as a lunch hook! I finally gave it away. Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  08:07:57  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
probably also the bottom is weedy and the fortress has some issues with it.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  08:20:06  Show Profile
Todd: Is your Fortress aluminum or steel? This will be an issue as well if mud AND weeds. Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  09:03:25  Show Profile
Research online seems to indicate Fortress no longer makes a steel anchor. Sorry to hear that! Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  10:12:20  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Chief RA

Todd: Is your Fortress aluminum or steel? This will be an issue as well if mud AND weeds. Chief

mine is aluminum

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  10:30:54  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
boy nothing gets the fires burning better than an anchor discussion! Other sites like cruiser's forums list their largest threads as : anchors, monohull vs multihull, firearms on board. Our biggest is "what did you modify on your boat last week?"

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2017 :  16:18:31  Show Profile
Practical Sailor dedicated three issues to assessing anchors last year. And the comments raged for months after that. Aside from teak coatings, anchors are an especially controversial topic. Just sayin'. I just replaced my 25# Danforth for an exact replica. The old one rusted out ( in spite of it being galvanized). And that's just the lunch hook!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2017 :  09:48:33  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
yeah teak coatings. I think weve had some cetol vs varnish vs oil debate here, but it doesn't ever turn to pistols at dawn like other sites.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page