Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Replacing the steaming light
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/11/2017 :  11:18:43  Show Profile
Perhaps I can get some advice on repairing and replacing my steaming light on Passage. As you may recall, I had the mast down to replace the rigging and I checked and repaired all the components that needed it: the sheaves, the windex, the topping lift and the anchor and steaming light. Tested them and found some corrosion on the connections so I scraped and sanded them. Tested and they both worked fine.
Then I put up the mast, tightened the shrouds (which went much easier that I expected) and of course the steaming light does not work. I tested power at the deck connector and the wiring connections inside the connector. All good. Continuity in the mast shows an open circuit meaning a dead bulb, a bad connection in the fixture or a bad cable.

This means I need to get access to the fixture. I have four choices I can think of:
1. Drop the mast again - I hesitate to do this because my rigging is tuned perfectly.
2. Go up in a boatswains chair. I'm a little too heavy @ 200#.
3. Get a 20 ft ladder and go up there or
4. Find a tall bulkhead or dock and do the job from there.
I tried #4 but I'm about 6 foot short even at low tide.
I don't really trust any lightweight kids to repair and replace the fixture. What do they know about wiring?
I really don't want to drop the mast. Like I say it's perfect.
Has anyone used the ladder method? How tall should it be? I assume I'd use rug backing grip material on the nonskid and tie the ladder in place?
Any advice or horror stories?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2017 :  13:41:24  Show Profile
A friend at my dock has a ladder that he put 2 blocks of wood mounted to the top rung. The blocks are set so the mast fits between them. He uses his spare halyard that is tied to the top rung then a few lines tied to the lower sides of the ladder then to his stanchions. He places a rubber mat under the feet. He also has a line from the bottom of the ladder to the mast. It works well for anything he has to do up to his spreaders.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2017 :  18:58:36  Show Profile
Scott, I like the idea of hoisting the ladder with the halyard. An extra tie down would be nice too. but, what length for the ladder? 20 ft, 24 ft?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2017 :  19:18:12  Show Profile
I used one of those ladders that can convert from step to straight ladder. Tried it as a step and also as a straight ladder. Made it to the spreaders and was scared to death. Even though it was tied off it didn't feel secure enough for 60+ man to be working off of.

You younger guys may not have an issues. My vote is to drop the mast again or hire someone that knows what they are doing going up a mast.

Is it worth possibly months in the hospital versus a few hours re-doing the rigging? Why not drop it and install a new LED fixture and end all the recurring issues.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 06/11/2017 19:21:03
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2017 :  19:40:42  Show Profile
Your mast is 28' high from the cabintop... The spreaders might be a little above half of that. You can take it from there, but it would seem a modest extension ladder wouldn't be too tough to rig safely--the top of the ladder could be a little below the steaming light. If you have potential boat wake issues, I'll back off on that. Otherwise, the only issue apparent to me is whether you can get enough angle from the cabintop for a safe ascent. I don't want you messing up the deck of my old girl!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2017 :  04:15:39  Show Profile
Bruce, I don't know if I would use a ladder with your boat being out on a floating dock like Dave said, Wakes! I've only seen the guy use it on land or in our incredibly smooth dockage. The blocks keep it from moving sideways and all the lines keep it from sliding out or twisting. He scampers up and down without fear but then he's used to it.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2017 :  22:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Drop the mast, Bruce. Count the turns on each turnbuckle, and you can put it all back where it was. Then, from now on, you'll be less reluctant to do it again. I know, it's still a lot of work, but each time it gets easier; the tabernacled mast was one of the points in favor when I was researching what to buy. It's a major advantage you enjoy over all those larger boats in your marina, but only if you get a drill worked out so you can do it relatively easily. I fabricated a roller on a couple of upright supports to lower the mast onto, making it easy to slide it forward after it was down. All the shrouds and halyards stay in place when it's just down for maintenance, and it all goes right back up. Takes a few hours, but once you've done it a few times it gets a lot easier. I keep reading in this forum about people going up the mast, and there are doubtlessly times for that, but when you might have to do some trouble-shooting and possibly some rewiring, it's a lot easier with that stick horizontal. Good luck.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2017 :  19:03:03  Show Profile
Well - yesterday I went to my home center and bought a 20' extension ladder that stood on the cabin top. I brought the boat into the quiet area of the town slips and secured her. The ladder has rubber feet but I also got some rug backing to place underneath the feet to prevent marring the deck. I tied off the ladder feet to the mast and secured the ladder to the mast about 1/2 way up.
I ascended to assess what tools and supplies I'd need and a helpful guy shouted "need a hand?" He held the ladder while I went back up. I opened the fixture and replaced the bulb. Voila!!! All good. This fall I'll drop the mast and replace the aging fixture.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2017 :  20:11:10  Show Profile
Bingo!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page