Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Rigging Length List? Lost The page I found...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrarmyant
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/23/2017 :  07:42:58  Show Profile
Found a thread with a screen shot of an excel spread sheet that had modern lengths and diameters of line to use for rigging. I'm replacing all of it and am a fan of small and light. Anyway somewhere there was a thread with a screenshot of someones lengths, and after an hour of searching can't remember the terms I used to find it.

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/23/2017 :  10:37:38  Show Profile
If you'll call Catalina's home office, I'm sure they have the specs for the lengths and diameters of Capri 25 standing rigging, and will provide you a copy.

Most of the riggers that I have known take the dimensions from the old rigging cables that are being replaced. If the existing cables have stretched, it won't be very much, and the turnbuckles allow ample room for adjustment.

Sorry I can't help you find the page you were looking for.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2017 :  11:54:51  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
I used 70 feet of 5/16" for halyards (2 jib, 1 spin, 1 main)... 70 might be overkill though. I loved VPC for best strength/weight and less stretchiness. Spin halyard you can go more stretchy and cheaper, say sta-set and be OK.

For topping lift you can go lighter in size, and lower quality.. Sta-set x works. Probably 50ft is overkill in length.

For genoa sheet, I have always cheated (and others will chastise for this), I use a regular snap-shackle at mid-point on 60 feet of 5/16 sta-set X, if you can MLX is better lighter and less stretchy (also knuckles less).

I used 1/8" for my vang, needs about 25 feet for just the vang, probably 35 feet if you want to run it back to the cockpit through the turning blocks.

For downhaul, I'd go with 30 feet of 5/16 sta-set, you can definitely go lighter on it. Feel free to get less stretchy but its not necessary there.

Backstay adjuster if you have the pinch style and 6:1, you'll need about 25 feet, I'd go with 1/8" vpc, or spectra. 5/16 is fine too.

For the mainsheet, I'd go fussy and get something light. But Sta-set works too. I did 5/16" and didn't think it hurt to adjust. Feel free to go with MLX if you get it at a good price. With 4:1 you'll likely need about 50 feet.

Go with 5/16" or less for traveler line, each side needs about 8 feet for ratio... so 8 feet for 2:1, 16 for 4:1, then add 10 feet for some swag for
continuous line. If you dont' like a continuous traveler line, then add 5 feet to each side :)

I think that's most of the regular lines.

AS for spin? Use the lightest stuff you can get (weight not diameter). Tie them on if you can. Soft shackles work. I used 5/16 for the spin, but if you can get floating line, its better. I'd go with a minimum of 35 feet per sheet. 40 to be comfortable.

I know I am late to this party, but hopefully it'll help others.

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

Edited by - shnool on 05/26/2017 11:56:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page