Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Towing 250 WK
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Albanker
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/14/2017 :  12:04:22  Show Profile
I have a Toyota Highlander with a 5000lb towing rating and a 6 cylinder. Please be assured I am not holding anyone that answers with liability, just an opinion. Opinion is whether I could trailer boat for not more than 2-3 miles from lift out to storage facility at speeds of not more than 45 mph even though from what I have read the total boat and trailer would be around 5600lbs
Thanks

WK 727
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2017 :  19:53:55  Show Profile
I'll weigh in on the topic. I would not recommend using the Highlander as a tow vehicle greater than what it is rated for. But, what you are describing isn't really towing. You can compensate for acceleration and stopping by slowly accelerating and by slowing down early. This can be done without putting too much strain on the drivetrain for a couple of miles at 20 MPH. The problem I see is the tongue weight of 600 pounds. Your coil spring rearend will be compressed which will greatly impact your ability to control the vehicle. Again the short distance and slow speed can overcome this. Curt does make a receiver hitch rated for 900 pounds tongue weight and 6,000 pounds towing. So the Highlander won't be damaged under the scenario you have described IMHO, just not the ideal situation.

I have an HD Silverado and a heavy duty curt receiver. My truck would not be safe if it wasn't for the bumpers added above the axle. They do make a coil spring version, but I have no experience with them. I would add the coil spring cushions and go extremely slow. Photos of my setup.

Regards, John
Westlawn Institute graduate
Yacht Design and Naval Architecture
04 Catalina 250 WK
Standard rig w/wheel steering
Yanmar 9hp diesel
Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2017 :  20:40:26  Show Profile
I have towed mine behind a 2011 Honda Ridgeline, also a six cylinder rated to 5000 pounds, for a short distance like you are describing, including up and down a short hill with a 10% grade for a few hundred feet. The Ridgeline has a factory hitch and towing package. Handled it without a problem. I hire someone to tow it when I need to take it to winter storage, which is about 75 miles.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2017 :  10:35:59  Show Profile
Sounds feasible, but I wouldn't advise 45 mph--I'd stay in the 20-25 range on the lowest-traffic route and time you can find, flashers on. Besides poundage, the length of the trailer makes a long lever-arm for the short-wheelbase Highlander to handle when braking, and the tongue weight reduces the braking and steering effectiveness of your front wheels. You want no surprises.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2017 :  10:54:38  Show Profile
Also, you might be underestimating the total weight. From what I've read, you are using the weight of the boat as it comes out of the factory, without mast, rigging, equipment, water and gas, motor, etc. I think I've read on this site where others have weighed the loaded boat and trailer on a truck scale and it's more inthe 7000 to 7500 range. Someone else might remember the number more exactly.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page