Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Cockpit cushions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/05/2017 :  05:29:48  Show Profile
We've been around this topic more than a few times, and it's not for everybody, but I've found some cockpit cushions that are comfortable and serviceable for practical folks, Igloo's Cooler cushions. These are cushions you'd normally snap onto the top of your Igloo Cooler, but I use them for the "base layer" in the cockpit. They're ivory-white, totally water proof and mold resistant. I bought two pair at a boat shop going out of business sale a few years back, and they've served me well.
I just saw them at Defender for about $80-90 each, so that's about $350 plus shipping, no tax if out of CT. SEE cushions. The ones I got were the 128 qt size for the forward pair and the 94 qt size for the aft pair. Measure your space for the correct fit.
Like I said, not for everyone but not bad.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2017 :  08:52:20  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Sounds like a good option. I replaced all interior and exterior cushions this past winter. From my experiences getting estimates, the present cost for exterior cushions is $500-$600.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2017 :  10:25:05  Show Profile
Here's an inexpensive alternative.

I made my own 5-6" thick cockpit cushions with backrests attached by velcro to the stern rail. This photo is from a few years ago before I re-covered the backrests with white vinyl that now has 10" velcro loops sewn into the top corners. I had thought previously of that convenient way to attach and detach them, but a few years went by before I stopped using white duct tape - the easy fix.

The 4 cushions were originally non-matching, sofa cushions which I bought at a local second hand furniture store for a few dollars each. They are not waterproof, but when it is raining, I am heading back to the marina anyway! These fat cushions are really comfortable. The 54" wide white vinyl fabric costs $10-20 per yard.

I just love leaning back with the tiller in one hand and a cold drink in the other on a warm summer day when the sails are set for a beam reach down the bay.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2017 :  11:26:07  Show Profile
John, I really like your cushions, they seem soft, cushy and having a fabric cover, are much more comfortable than vinyl like the cooler cushions. But .... as I mentioned, the cooler cushions are base cushions. I supplement them with outdoor fabric seat cushions from places like a home center, garden shop, seasonal place. I did something like your cushions: I bought two standard seat cushions, then sewed a common seam so that I have a bottom and a back. They look a lot like the West Marine Go-Anywhere stadium seats, but are not rigid. They are nice and cushy. I made four sets so everyone sits on their own individual seat pads with backs and all on top of the cooler cushions.
My next trick is to make a padded back for the stern pulpit. This would somehow fit between the top of the gunwales and beneath the stern pulpit rail and be stiff enough to let you lean back comfortably. Today I use several square throwable PFD cushions tied on with Velcro, but there ought to be a better solution for this. Maybe a plywood form with padding and fabric stapled over?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2017 :  15:42:31  Show Profile
Like with everything, the "marine" version is 5x more expensive. I did a custom foam mattress for the V berth with a 10" foam queen sized mattress. Will likely do something custom for the cockpit cushions before shelling out for that.

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2017 :  19:18:55  Show Profile
Gotta say . . . . my "cushion" is free and very portable, but unfortunately it is because I should lose some weight!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2017 :  20:04:22  Show Profile
Mine were/are all USCG Type IVs. Highly moveable, stowable, ready to prop up against the bulkhead, and ready to "litter the water" (even at some distance) when anybody goes overboard. If one isn't enough cushion for your @$$, you can put another on top of it. Get about six and you're ready for almost anything or anyone. Just don't go for blue ones--the USCG shouldn't allow them for Type IV PFDs. They should be orange or yellow--this isn't a "decor" issue.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/28/2017 20:06:27
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2017 :  08:14:58  Show Profile
Dave, I wouldn't say they are actually comfortable, but they are quite useful for a COB event. I have a white, a blue, a red and an orange which I usually hang from the stern pulpit. They cushion the seat back so I can lean back on the rail.
Like I said I have the cooler top cushions as a base layer, some patio chair cushions and two West Marine "Go Anywhere" stadium seats. No cup holders tho!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page