Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Head Sail and Bow Pulpit
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kper
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/26/2017 :  06:36:01  Show Profile
We installed a furler and had one of our head sails modified to use on the furler. my question is, should the sail be above the pulpit? I'm being told by a local that it's normal and doesn't matter. I can say if it cleared the pulpit it sure would make visibility much better.

Image isn't working so I'll just post the link and hopefully it can be accessed

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Midwest6/media/IMG_20170423_161031961_zpsvw0vediw.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...

Edited by - Kper on 04/26/2017 06:40:40

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  06:54:12  Show Profile
It really depends on the cut of the sail and the clew. Some are lower cut and maybe called a deck sweeper and some are cut higher affording a better view forward. Racers may prefer a deck sweeper for the added square footage of cloth. I have 2, One is cut low and the other is cut higher. I use the higher cut because it's easier to see under it but I don't race. Both will lay against the bow pulpit. If you want it to clear the pulpit you would need to have the luff shortened and use a pennant from the drum up to the sail.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/26/2017 08:46:01
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  08:20:45  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
how do you like your sail-pack? I was thinking of making one. do you think it degrades performance? do you loosen the lazyjacks to get it to lay like that?

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2017 :  10:35:43  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
The picture you showed is typical of a deck sweeping genoa. I agree it's annoying that the sail cringles against the pulpit and visibility is poor, but a lot of people do it. You can of course raise it to clear the pulpit if you want, but the time for that was when you had the sail modified.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2017 :  12:47:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

how do you like your sail-pack? I was thinking of making one. do you think it degrades performance? do you loosen the lazyjacks to get it to lay like that?

Todd, sorry for the delay. The jury is still out on the sail pack, mainly because of the lazy jacks. The system was built and installed by a friend so I wasn't too sure what I was going to have when it was completed. I think I'd like it a lot more if I can figure out a way to get the lazy jacks close to the mast when I don't need them. It's not that they interfere with the sail shape but they tend to snag the battons from time to time. We're still playing with it. I DO loosen the sail pack a bit when the main is up but I don't think I need to.

Edit: I should clarify that the battons only snag when "hoisting and dropping the main" and it's usually my fault by not pointing directly into the wind.

Kyle

Edited by - Kper on 05/09/2017 21:46:19
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2017 :  17:15:14  Show Profile
We have more of a deck sweeper, and like it. It presents less of a moment arm, so it is less likely to heel too quickly and grabs more of the wind...

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2017 :  21:47:27  Show Profile
What is a moment arm? Or is that a typo?

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2017 :  08:53:49  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
'Moment' in this sense is generally synonymous with torque. The moment arm he is referring to is the vertical distance between the center of gravity of the boat and the center of force of the wind acting on the genoa. A deck sweeper will have a lower center of force from the wind simply because it is lower to the deck. So, for the same force from the wind, a deck sweeper will generally impart less heel on the boat because the moment arm is shorter. IE: You can get more torque for the same force with a longer wrench on a bolt.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2017 :  15:01:35  Show Profile
So there's a benefit for poor forward visibility. lol

Kyle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page