Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Boom Attachment
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kper
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2017 :  09:02:45  Show Profile
In an effort to keep a long story short I'll come straight out and ask, does anyone have a photo or diagram of how and where a SR boom attaches to the mast? The turn screws and cleat placement in the track? Right now I have the turn screws directly above the boom and the cleat directly below.

Anyone who knows us, knows we are pretty green and haven't had the boat in the water for a couple years. A new main doesn't help, either.

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  09:55:20  Show Profile
http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29279 this may help from when I had to figure this out.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  09:58:30  Show Profile
Kyle, Sounds like you have a sliding gooseneck, My boat is an 87SR and has a fixed gooseneck and is screwed to the mast. Catalina did this in the later models. The cleat goes below the gooseneck and is used for a downhaul if you have one. This photo shows how high from the deck Catalina placed them. Not sure if you mean sail stops when you say turn screws but one should be immediately below the gooseneck and above the cleat to keep the boom from sliding down when you lower the sail. Another one is above the boom and is positioned above the sail slug cut out so the slugs dont fall out when you lower the sail. The sail stop in the second photo is just parked there and does nothing. I have gates now and don't need it to keep the slugs from falling out.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/25/2017 10:05:33
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  10:17:34  Show Profile
Ya, I'm pretty sure the '86 has the sliding gooseneck.

EDITED: The cleat that goes in the slot goes below the track opening and is used for the downhaul from the boom gooseneck to tighten the luff of the sail when raised. I don't have a good picture, but I believe the cleat on my SR was about 1' above the deck. By "turn screws", do you mean "sail track stops" (little slugs with thumb-screws)? If so, one can go above the gooseneck to prevent it from popping out of the opening when you hoist. The other can go above the track opening after you've fed the slugs in, to keep them from falling out when you lower the sail. I positioned the lowere stopper so it would hold the gooseneck down as I finished hoisting the main, allowing me to tension the luff with the halyard instead of the downhaul (which I also had for safety).

I'm guessing you don't have "sail track gates" that close the track opening--these things:

They close the opening down to a slot that the sail slugs can pass through in order to stack above the gooseneck as the sail is lowered, but don't allow the slugs to drop out. This makes for a more compact "bundle" on the boom as well as a more efficient reef where the sail won't be trying to pull the lower slug out of the track. Catalina Direct has them--worth a look some day...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/25/2017 10:39:42
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  10:26:35  Show Profile
Like Dave said, If you don't use a downhaul and would prefer to lock the gooseneck in one position then put the thumb screws one above and one below the gooseneck to lock it in place. The mast gates that Dave showed are the preferred method to keep the slugs in the track.Here is a diagram from Catalina that shows the cleatbut not the thumb screws.

Edited by - islander on 04/25/2017 10:31:46
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  10:50:27  Show Profile
Here's another option: The downhaul, if left tied on the cleat, can hold the boom from reaching the opening and falling out... Meanwhile, a track-stopper can go below the boom, far enough down so the sail can be tensioned at full hoist, but high enough to add some headroom when you drop the sail. I had one positioned that way, with mast gates to contain the slugs.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  14:39:43  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. I see another parts order taking place... let's see if I can get this past the admiral. We've dumped a good chunk of change on it in the last 6-12 months and we're "almost there".

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  20:39:56  Show Profile

I have no idea what that track stopper is doing above Scott's fixed gooseneck, other than just waiting to be used somewhere...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  04:16:28  Show Profile
Yes Dave, I stated in my post above that it's not in use, Just parked there.My po used it as a sail track stop so when I put in gates I just parked it down out of the way.

Edited by - islander on 04/26/2017 04:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  06:26:30  Show Profile
That is how my setup is currently sitting. Well, that and the cleat below tied off to the gooseneck.

Kyle

Edited by - Kper on 04/26/2017 06:27:06
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  10:06:24  Show Profile
...except you can see that Scott's gooseneck is screwed to the mast with six machine screws. So he has no need for the cleat below or the downhaul from it to the gooseneck. He tensions his luff via the halyard (and possibly a "cunningham" if he's really serious about it).

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

MattL
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2017 :  08:55:21  Show Profile
Mine slides I have a plug below the boom and mast gates as shown. Raise the sail and use a down haul on boom, tie it off and your set. A Cunningham can take care of further. Luff tension

Matt/Brigitte Loeffler
E.C. Rider 5411
Cat 25 86'
FK/SR _/)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page