Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pendants for C25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/24/2017 :  00:23:49  Show Profile
Greetings everyone
I just found out from my mooring maintenance company, that someone had apparently got tangled in my pendants late last fall, and cut them.
The ones I had were high tensile strength with the ends de-cored so I could get them on the 'smallish' cleats of the C25. They were expensive, approx. 300 for a pair. Anyone have a cheaper alternative that works for a C25?
Thanks in advance
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  20:08:22  Show Profile
Pennants? I was struggling to figure out what the hell a sailboat pendant was.

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  20:18:10  Show Profile
De-cored mooring pennants?? Hope you don't have any storms or wave action. The cover on double-braid is for moderate abrasion protection (and appearance), and the core is for tensil strength. You've heard of the weak-link rule for a chain... That one de-cored inch at the base of the cleat is your weak link. I would find something that fits (barely) around the bases of your bow cleats and then use a few feet of smaller rope on top of the pennant eyes, cleated between the two cleats, to secure them. You can have a loop on that little line to go over one cleat, and then do a cleat-hitch to the other--quick and easy. That, or get some larger bow cleats.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/25/2017 20:25:59
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  07:13:29  Show Profile
Defender carries a variety of pendants by diameter, length and material. I would suggest choosing something with a little stretch and use a snubber to lessen shock loading. Our mooring field requires 1/2" double or 5/8" single pendants both of which fit the OEM bow cleats. Also as Dave noted, secure the loop over the cleat so it cannot come off. Alternatively, a local chandlery can make a pendant up often at more affordable price...we rely on our local Ace Hardware. I also suggest using a stainless steel thimble on the mooring end. It will outlast the line, whereas galvanced will not in our experience.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972

Edited by - glivs on 04/26/2017 07:20:37
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2017 :  18:59:56  Show Profile
I use a shorter 3 strand nylon with a spliced thimble and a spliced loop on the other end for the cleat. I fits thru the cleat and loops around it. Very secure. Had it for 7 years. My other pendant is 5/8 or 3/4 double braid that is a little longer and I just cleat it off. Also it's easy to pick up. I use the nylon on the bottom of the ball and the longer double on the top of the ball. That way I bypass the rod in the center incase it fails.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page