Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pedestal Wheel Steering Help Needed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2017 :  13:37:01  Show Profile
Ahh, the voice of reason.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2017 :  17:21:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

Looking at this pic, it looks like the exit is in the correct place.

https://books.google.com/books?id=EZ00_GxsP_QC&pg=RA1-PA29&lpg=RA1-PA29&dq=mini steerer&source=bl&ots=HQXPY4bsZO&sig=3mCR6SJzYfHmgiUSyGPvkJrFMOc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjLxd6g57HTAhXqylQKHSooCjgQ6AEIRzAM#v=onepage&q=mini%20steerer&f=false

To me the picture in the ad looks to me like it's mounted closer to the rudder than Kingsfold's. The picture in the ad is almost in line with the centerline of the cockpit seat where as Kingfold's is closer to the backrest part of the cockpit seat.

Using the right edge of the mounting bracket on the transom Kingfold's is much closer to the starboard edge of the transom than the one in the picture.

Now if that makes a difference I don't know. Wouldn't moving the mounting closer to the rudder give the cable/rudder more travel to starboard?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 04/21/2017 17:51:42
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2017 :  03:42:00  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

BTW, Todd: To prevent a long URL from stretching a whole thread horizontally, in your post:

1. Change Format Mode from Basic to Prompt.
2. Type some words that describe what you're linking to.
3. Highlight those words, click and paste the URL into the box that appears.

The words will be highlighted in your post, and clicking on them will follow your link.

thanks i was looking for something like that!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  08:22:10  Show Profile
Not to derail the post but, my wife would love that wheel.

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  10:54:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kper

Not to derail the post but, my wife would love that wheel.

But maybe not after she has to climb around it a few times. The C-25 cockpit with its full-length seats is pretty narrow for a wheel.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  13:06:42  Show Profile
Exactly, Especially when heeled over at 30deg.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  14:46:38  Show Profile
quote:
But maybe not after she has to climb around it a few times. The C-25 cockpit with its full-length seats is pretty narrow for a wheel.

I wouldn't bet on that... she hates the tiller. I like to stand behind a wheel and that looks impossible here.

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...
Go to Top of Page

Kingsfold
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2017 :  14:55:51  Show Profile
We haven't yet sailed with the wheel, but we have done plenty of work up in the cockpit and there is plenty of room to move from side to side, the only thing right now that has difficulty doing so in the rudder

quote:
Originally posted by Kper

quote:

I wouldn't bet on that... she hates the tiller. I like to stand behind a wheel and that looks impossible here.

"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" Sea Fever
Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2017 :  15:05:19  Show Profile
I haven't posted for a long time, but this thread made me feel like piping up. Our boat has wheel steering also because of the wife. Don't let these old curmudgeons get you down. While I wouldn't have chosen wheel steering myself, I am now a big fan. I can't say that it's better or worse than a tiller, just different. You can definitely stand behind the wheel and I do quite often. It is not very difficult to get around it thanks to a pedestal riser I added.

I added a guard with a navpod, binnacle controls for the outboard a compass and drink holder. I would like to add a flip up table one of these days too. Docking is great as I can stand behind the wheel and don't have to reach over the transom for the outboard tiller.

Unfortunately, I can't help the original poster with his problem because my system looks different than his. But at least I can offer some moral support. Keep your head up and be proud of the size of your pedestal!

I'd be happy to share any info I can on a wheel setup.

Chris
Sacandaga Lake, NY
1984 C25 SRSK
"Les's Moor"
Go to Top of Page

MrKawfey
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
124 Posts

Response Posted - 04/27/2017 :  15:12:14  Show Profile
Might be helpful to see a picture of the quadrant behind the transom. With mine you the cables are connected to the quadrant with clamps and you can loosen them and pull one or both cables to adjust center as well as overall tension. You can also add final tension to the cables with an adjustment nut at the end of the sheath like on a bicycle brake.

The setup procedure goes a little like this:
disconnect the cables from the quadrant
Center the chain on the wheel sprocket
Lock the wheel
Center the rudder and lock it somehow
Pull the cables through the clamps till both are tight
Tighten the clamps and adjust the tension

Ready to go

Chris
Sacandaga Lake, NY
1984 C25 SRSK
"Les's Moor"

Edited by - MrKawfey on 04/27/2017 15:14:57
Go to Top of Page

Kingsfold
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2017 :  18:35:31  Show Profile
Dear All,
Thank you for your assistance, good natured comments and advice. I am pleased to say the problem has been fixed. In the end we moved the bracket a couple of inches. We enlarged the original hole so we could move the cable and assembly further away from the centerline towards the starboard side of the transom. We then we set and locked the wheel helm in the midships position, we centered the rudder and then placed the through hull fracker so and secured it temporarily with screws so we could test the system. Everything worked perfectly so we marked the spot and secured the bracket in place over an aluminum backing plate. If I could figure out how to post pictures I would do so. Thanks again one and all for your help and encouragement.
Cheers,
David

"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" Sea Fever
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page