Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Electrical Refit Part II: DC Panel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bjoye
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/17/2017 :  10:59:10  Show Profile
For the DC panel, I used BlueSea 8082, 10 position with voltmeter, ammeter. Most BlueSea panels are rated at 100amp, but mine came with an insert stating 50amp (I guess because of the meters). It is fused with a 40amp Maxi fuse coming off the battery switch, 10 AWG cable. I found I needed more that the standard 5 positions (Nav lights, Cabin lights, Steaming light, Anchor Light, Deck Light), and I wanted at least a voltmeter on each battery. The panel and meters are lighted and wired to the Nav light switch. One irritant: the negative screws on the back of the panel are #8 and the positive are #10. When wiring I was constantly putting on the wrong size connector. I used 3 BlueSea DualBus bars to simply the wiring (one for all the panel lighting, one for all the Nav lights, and one for all the cabin light). All fuses are accessible (no inline).

All DC wiring is 16 AWG (except for the bilge pumps, 14 AWG). The #8 and #10 connectors are Ancor heat shrink. The rest are WM heat shrink. Ancor connectors are very expensive, but work very well with the Ancor crimp tool (Ancor 703010). The WM connectors are much cheaper, but don’t work as well. The Wells heat gun was a must have given the number of heat shrink connections (and labels) to be installed. The Ideal Wire stripper is a must have also.

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2017 :  07:17:41  Show Profile
WOW -- so well organized and so well done! So . . . how much would you charge to rewire my boat . . . .

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

bjoye
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2017 :  09:04:50  Show Profile
I have a few more wires to run, then I'll tie everything down and put on the covers over the back of the panels, battery switch, and buses.

My only worry is that someone will accidentally hook a bundle of wires while reaching for something in the locker. Don't have a solution for that yet. Any ideas?

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2017 :  17:57:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bjoye

I have a few more wires to run, then I'll tie everything down and put on the covers over the back of the panels, battery switch, and buses.

My only worry is that someone will accidentally hook a bundle of wires while reaching for something in the locker. Don't have a solution for that yet. Any ideas?

My boat came with the electrical panel in the same place as to where you moved yours. Catalina put a piece of fiberglass over the back of the panel on the locker side, fastened at the bottom with #10 screws and open at the top. It seems to me you could make one out of wood.

I'll try to remember to take a photo for you next time I'm at the boat.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2017 :  15:02:57  Show Profile
Good looking installation aft of your galley sink BJOYE. I'm looking at doing a complere DC rewire on my 85 C-25 TR/FK purchased earlier this year. However am thinking of relocating switch panel above cabin starboard settee at the aft end of the cabin shelf. Chose this area 1) to get away from potential water splashes aft of the galley sink; 2) keep exposed wiring out of cockpit locker and; 3) reduce battery connection lengths. Anyone else considered going with this scheme? BTW, also replacing all lights with LEDs.
Arnie W.
C-25 #4747 TR/FK

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2017 :  14:40:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by exf4gib

I'm ... thinking of relocating switch panel above cabin starboard settee at the aft end of the cabin shelf. Chose this area 1) to get away from potential water splashes aft of the galley sink; 2) keep exposed wiring out of cockpit locker and; 3) reduce battery connection lengths. Anyone else considered going with this scheme?
Arnie W.
C-25 #4747 TR/FK

Hi Arnie,

You might want to start a new thread ... your questions kinda' got lost here.

Anyway, there have been several C-25 owners who have relocated the electrical panel to the area you are considering. You can search the archives (see the "Search" link at the top of this page) for "electrical panel" or something similar, and you'll get lots of hits.

You can also search the C-25 "Technical Tips" (see the links on the left of this page). Here are a couple:

Magic Dragon-Electric Panel
Not Yet!-Control Panel

'Hope that helps!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2017 :  17:46:35  Show Profile
Fabulous job.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page