Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Battery tray installation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

exf4gib
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/14/2017 :  08:32:34  Show Profile
Just purchased a 1985 C-25. Came with an apparently unused battery, but it was simply sitting in the battery well, unsecured. Once I obtain a new battery, does anyone have advice on battery tray/box installation? Understand Catalina Direct sells this item. I'm a bit hesitant to simply "drill" blindly into virgin "plastic" without knowing what's underneath.

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"

bjoye
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2017 :  09:24:42  Show Profile
I just when through this with our 89', so I'll pipe in. We purchased 2 group 24 battery boxes from CD. With the boxes, the largest batteries that will fit are group 24s (and its a tight fit). The boxes came with straps, and 2 plastic clamps, you screw into the bottom of the battery tray. Please use SS screws as the PO had not, and as a result, I spent hours grinding/drilling out the rusted remains of the previous strapping.

Also be careful about your manual bilge pump hose, which is routed under the battery tray. The PO has used long screws which could drill into or chafe against the hose. I ended up cutting the tip off mine screw flush with the bottom of the tray so there is no chance of problems.

The straps wrap around the box and across the top to keep the top secure. There is very little room between the top of the box and the aft berth lid. In fact, I had purchased Blue Seas battery fuses and holders, but there is no room to mount the holder on the battery and still close the box top and lid.

If you don't go with boxes, there is room for one group 27 battery.

ABYC rules (if I remember correctly) are no movement more than 1 inch in any direction, contained leakage and spillage, terminals must be covered, and fuse with in 7 inches.

So if you are counting on the tray only, must be installed with strap, and any holes, must be filled, and some short of insulated cover over the terminals. (I've heard that USCG can be picky, and the aft berth lid is not enough)

I mounted my deep cycle battery closest to the boat center line, as it weights a lot more than my starter battery. Fortunately the battery tray is oriented such that we don't have to worry if you have flooded batteries, the battery plates coming uncovered during periods of high boat heel.

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2017 :  12:12:36  Show Profile
Bjoye, Sounds like your batteries are in a different spot than would be in an 85. I think in an 85 they are just aft of the water tank under the starboard settee. If this is the case then there should be a battery platform there that you can screw into. I have plenty of room for a group 31 with the battery box and the cover in this location. I could also add another battery in there if I wanted to. It is strapped down with a battery strap. The rules state that the positive terminal has to be covered.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 02/14/2017 12:16:14
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2017 :  12:16:57  Show Profile
I have 2 group 27s without boxes under my settee in my traditional interior. I suggest that you add information to your signature: RIG - tall or standard (TR/SR}, INTERIOR -Traditional, Dinette, or L Dinette, and KEEL - Fin, Swing, Wing (FK,SK,WK), YEAR. It is helpful to us and eliminates repeated typing on your part. The underside if the battery compartment is accessible, at least on Pearl, from the quarterberth panel so you can use machine screws, fender washers and nuts. Clean the underside of the fiberglass, put a drop of your adhesive of choice on the underside of of the screw head and the glass mating side of the fender washer and push the screw up from the bottom so you can remove the nut later without losing the screw.

edit:

Don't get your stainless screws from a big box store; they are usually Chinese and not reliably corrosion resistant.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 02/14/2017 12:19:04
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2017 :  19:10:33  Show Profile
On our 84 we have a molded in fiberglass battery well aft of starboard settee watertank. I crammed 2 gp 31 bateries in there, tight fit. To secure I used 2 batery straps like the ones that come with the boxes.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2017 :  13:48:29  Show Profile
An '89 is a unique battery location.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2017 :  11:12:07  Show Profile
All,
Thanks for the excellent advice!
Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK 4747

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page