Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Sail cleaning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/20/2016 :  16:59:19  Show Profile
I Purchased a used genoa for Enchantment II. I was looking for suggestions on cleaning the sail and UV protection(sunbrella). I intend to soak it in a large new unused trash barrel, and brush it after soaking for 24 hours. Any suggestions on cleaning solutions for the soak, and following scrub?

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2016 :  17:59:45  Show Profile
Mild soap, not detergent, is what is usually recommended. Dawn comes to mind. I have used a little OxyClean spray with no apparent damage but little effect on old stains. Sail Care isn't too expensive and does a nice job as an option.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2016 :  09:46:29  Show Profile
After using my hank-on 110 jib for about 8 years, I decided to wash the salt and the dirt off it.

On a warm spring day in Maryland I spread it out on the lawn, hosed it off on one side, and then scrubbed it very lightly with a long-handled scrub brush and dish detergent in warm water. It's the same chemical as in shampoo. Do not use the stronger laundry detergent, or the even stronger Windex-style detergent. The dirt and most of the stains came right off when I hosed off that side. I walked the sailhead down over the sail to turn it over, and repeated the washing on the other side. I choose to keep bleach away from the dacron cloth, since chlorine or oxy bleach would degrade the fibers to some extent, just like strong sunlight does over the years. I hung the jib up to dry overnight on 2 parallel clotheslines 4 feet apart using lots of clothespins.

It immediately looked much nicer, and they say that a clean sail free of salt and dirt will last longer.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2016 :  10:25:58  Show Profile
http://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Cleaning%20Sails%20and%20Canvas.pdf

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2016 :  15:51:35  Show Profile
Thanks all for your suggestions, and the Sailbrite article.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page