Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Center mast support from pvc or abs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slim
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/09/2016 :  19:16:44  Show Profile
Hi everyone

I am looking for photos and ideas about making a - Trailering center mast step, mast support - for when you are traveling and want support for the middle of your mast if it is not sitting on the cabin roof. I have seen this before but for the life of me can not find a thing about it now in the forum. The one i am interested in is made of abs or pvc pipe and is cut out at the top in order to cradle the mast. I know that this is a simple project but always try to find out the flaws in my thinking first from other people's experiences. Can anyone hear lead me to the thread on this subject please?

Thanks Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2016 :  19:56:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slim

Hi everyone

I am looking for photos and ideas about making a - Trailering center mast step, mast support - for when you are traveling and want support for the middle of your mast if it is not sitting on the cabin roof. I have seen this before but for the life of me can not find a thing about it now in the forum. The one i am interested in is made of abs or pvc pipe and is cut out at the top in order to cradle the mast. I know that this is a simple project but always try to find out the flaws in my thinking first from other people's experiences. Can anyone hear lead me to the thread on this subject please?

Thanks Slim

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28689&SearchTerms=PVC,Trailer,Mast,Support

Scroll down thru the posts and you will see a C250 on stands. On a Windows PC... Save the picture to your downloads folder then open that picture from the folder and you should be able to scroll in for a closer look.

Another option I saw was someone took a 4x4 and cut it to the correct length then screwed a piece of 4" PVC pipe (maybe 6") cut in half to the top of the 4x4. Add a little carpet and you're ready to go.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2016 :  06:51:18  Show Profile
I used a 4x4, like GaryB mentioned. I trimmed the sides to fit inside the mast step and drilled a hole so the mast hold-down bolt keeps it in place. At the top, I just cut a shallow V shape to cradle the mast. Works fine.

Solomon Smith
TANGO 89/WK/TR/#5942
Petoskey, Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2016 :  07:34:49  Show Profile
I wrapped a scrap piece of carpet around the pulpit and pushpit tubing to protect them from scratches, and lashed the TR mast to them. I lashed a cockpit cushion to the mast to protect the companionway hatch. I had no support for the mast at the mast tabernacle. The mast can flex, but not enough to hurt anything. I towed mine from Florida to Ohio, twice to Iowa and back, and twice to Michigan and back, as well as numerous shorter distances (100 miles round trip) with no damage.

My thinking is that, whenever you add a piece of equipment or a procedure that is unnecessary, it increases your preparation time, it adds equipment that you have to carry and store and find the next time you want to use it, and it increases the time and effort required to prepare the boat to launch when you arrive. I believe in the KISS approach.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2016 :  14:52:07  Show Profile
Hi again everyone

Well this is what i ended up with so i thought i should at least put in a few photos to finish the thread with. The pipe is thin wall 3 inch with a OD of 3.25 and a ID of 3 inch. I was looking at thick wall but the OD was 3.5 inch and my mast step is not wide enough to fit it. Not to worry the thin wall is quite strong enough for this job and will last a long time. The mast fit well into the tee on top as you can see i cut it in half so the mast slips right down into it. Hope some else can get some good from this thread.

Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

Edited by - slim on 12/10/2016 15:00:43
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2016 :  14:54:48  Show Profile
I like that idea too about fewer setup devices but I still have the center mast holder made from 2X4s. It straddles the two lifeline stanions by resting on them. It traps itself on the lifeline on one side and is tied to the other end. A picture is better for this.
The mast is carried to one side of center to allow easy access to the cabin. We use the boat on the highway stops so this works. Mast is tied to both pulpits using carpet and lines with special line tied for hard braking. The 2X4s also provide place to carry the boom leaving the cabin less cluttered. The boat is also ready for hoist launch and motoring to a mooring.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2016 :  15:25:22  Show Profile
Nice job Slim, Simple and clean and using the mast step is brilliant.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2016 :  20:01:43  Show Profile
That is great, I used a white 4x4 plastic fence post and cut a saddle in it for the mast.

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 12/10/2016 20:08:33
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2016 :  20:18:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slim

Hi again everyone

Well this is what i ended up with so i thought i should at least put in a few photos to finish the thread with. The pipe is thin wall 3 inch with a OD of 3.25 and a ID of 3 inch. I was looking at thick wall but the OD was 3.5 inch and my mast step is not wide enough to fit it. Not to worry the thin wall is quite strong enough for this job and will last a long time. The mast fit well into the tee on top as you can see i cut it in half so the mast slips right down into it. Hope some else can get some good from this thread.

Slim

This is the picture/thread I was trying find!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2016 :  20:25:08  Show Profile
Great job... light, strong and easy to store... thank you for sharing

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Edited by - zeil on 12/10/2016 20:27:16
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2016 :  11:14:25  Show Profile
Thanks Slim for the pics and dimensions. Our support is made of wood and bulky/heavy. I had seen this earlier but couldn't remember where. I see a trip to HD in our near future.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2016 :  18:46:50  Show Profile
I also used a 4x4 trimmed down. I don't trailer much, but will switch to this setup the next time I do. Thanks for the info. Merry Christmas.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2016 :  21:14:08  Show Profile
For our C22, I also went the pvc pipe route, but I've got a "T" piece at the bottom also, which secures to the mast step.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page