Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Plumbing issues
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/07/2016 :  19:50:42  Show Profile
Hey all. I am up against a multitude of issues. I have a valve under after birth from the head that turns 90deg, so I can't tell which way is open. It has a label that says head outlet, but inflow would make a lot more sense. Which way is closed?

Second, no matter which direction I flip the jabsco head all I see black water. Seems to dissipate for a second then come rushing back. Any ideas?

Third, I have no flow in the sink hand pump in the head, even with the valve under it open. I do have flow with the saloon hand pump.

Finally, my propane system is working well, but I can't get the stove to light with the knob. Even when lighting with a match, if I stop pressing down on the knob the flame goes out.

If you all could give me some insight on these I would be much obliged. Do you think flushing the Tygon tubing will help? Is there an easy fix for the stove?

Thanks. Its boat work season.

Charlie

Charles

Catalina 250 WK SR Hull #475
College Station, TX

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2016 :  22:13:50  Show Profile
Someone better qualified will pipe up regarding your plumbing issues.

However, having experienced problems we're able to provide some answers to your stove dilemma providing it is a "Seaward Princess Model 1273", stove

Here is our previous posting dealing with the problem and solution

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29456&SearchTerms=princess,stove

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Edited by - zeil on 12/07/2016 22:15:19
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2016 :  07:00:08  Show Profile
Ball valve-type seacocks are closed when the handle is perpendicular to the valve body, and open when parallel. FWIW, I never open the valve, choosing instead to put fresh water into the head for flushing. It makes for much less odor. I just dump in a couple cups of water.

Black water in the toilet might be caused by a bad joker valve. It may need replacing. If it is fouled with calcium deposits, putting some cleaning vinegar in the toilet bowl may dissolve it - much easier than replacing it. But if you're successfully flushing stuff out then comes rushing back right away, you may have a clog in your hose or holding tank vent. Pumping might compress an air pocket, which then drives the stuff back into your head. Even a properly working joker valve can't really overcome that kind of back pressure.

Regarding head hand pump, it's pretty easy to disassemble for cleaning and inspection. It's basically a hand-driven diaphragm pump with flapper valves to ensure flow is in the correct direction. If the flappers are fouled in the open or closed position, you won't have flow.

Before doing major surgery on your stove, make sure that you're patient enough with lighting. There's a thermocouple that cuts off flow of gas if it's not hot. This is a critical safety feature that will prevent your boat from exploding. Holding the knob down circumvents that safety feature for purposes of lighting. You need to hold down the knob for up to a minute after lighting to allow the thermocouple to heat up. Otherwise, you'll get the result that you are seeing. Look for the thrermocouple and make sure it's not damaged or missing. It needs to be positioned near the flame to heat up properly.

I'm not aware of any Tygon tubing that is safe for LP gas use. That may be a dangerous aftermarket modification that you should check out carefully and replace if not up to code.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 12/08/2016 07:03:34
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2016 :  10:31:47  Show Profile

Just a word of caution. In order to repair the stove you will have to remove the stove carefully by prying the tempered glass stove plate from the counter top. Take your time doing this and be careful not to damage the edges of the glass or it may shatter on you.

You'll find that the black paint on the bottom of the glass plate around the edges will flake off which unfortunately can't be helped.

In this photo the stove has been repaired and placed in the counter. You will notice that we did not repaint the bottom of the glass again. What you see in the photo is the actual counter top factory cut-out opening. The stove fits on top of the counter but unfortunately wobbled slightly due to an uneven counter top surface..

In order to prevent liquids from leaking around the edges of the stove we sealed the stove/counter joint with 1/4"x 3/4" wide butyl tape. Using the stove during our 2 month long summer cruise we observed that the stove glass plate does not heat up to affect the butyl seal.

The thin copper wire thermo-coupling is clearly visible in this photo. When it heats up it will open the valve. With the stove removed and disconnected electrically you can test the coupling by heating the sensor located on top of the stove. It should open the main valve.

Thermo coupling and main valve arrangement

Replacement of faulty unit

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Edited by - zeil on 12/08/2016 17:31:36
Go to Top of Page

kjk
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2016 :  11:49:53  Show Profile
I think Rick's got it right on the stove issue. Mine lights if I'm patient, and goes out if I'm not.

Kevin J. Kiely
Rockport, MA
1999WK
Hull # 407
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2016 :  15:44:53  Show Profile
The lav faucet is an easy rebuild. My lav and galley faucets didn't work when I bought the boat and an inexpensive rebuild will take care of it.
Can't offer help on the stove, I've had my 250 for 11 years and have never used the stove.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page