Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Galley / Icebox Plumbing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bjoye
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/07/2016 :  10:43:05  Show Profile
I'm trying to figure out the original Galley Sink / Icebox plumbing for an 1989 Cat 25. The PO has altered / removed the plumbing. I have a 1" (OD) thru hull under the stove. (the head thru hull is 3/4" OD) The thru hull has ball value 1" (ID) x 1" (ID) and a 'T' on top, 1" OD, with a cork stuck in the one barb and disconnected 1" ID hose to sink?. The sink flange is broken off. No hose to icebox.

Did the Cat 25 come with a 1" thru hull / ball value in the galley? (CD only has 3/4" ball values listed) Are all the ball values NPS? Are they Forespar Marelon? Mine has no markings.

What is the hose size to the galley sink? 1" or 3/4"? (I see CD offers both a 3/4" and 1" sink drain assembly). To the icebox 1" or 3/4"? Was there a check value in the icebox line? Is the sink drain assembly flange straight or is 90 deg?

I bought a Forespar Marelon 1" elbow but it does not fit the 1" ball valve (too big). What am I missing?

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2016 :  09:30:29  Show Profile
Not many responses here so I'll give it a shot.T he thru hulls are NPT thread. They tighten as you tighten.
On my boat I have the 90 deg sink drain so the hose won't interfere with the drawer underneath. I believe the barb there is 1" according to CD. That hose comes down to the thru hull and connects to a barbed T fitting on top of the thru hull. The Ice box drain has another hose that comes down to the T fitting. There is a check valve in that line that is just before the Thru hull. I don't think the check valve is still available so you would need to find a suitable replacement. The problem is that the check valve probably failed and your PO was getting water in the ice box when heeled over. Many here have just disconnected the ice box drain and use the ice box for dry storage. It isn't insulated very well so it got the name of "The ice melter". Any plumbing supply will have barbed reducers if you need to drop from a 1" hose to a 3/4" hose. Here is 2 photos I found of the thru hull with the T fitting for the 2 hoses. The check valve ( black square box ) can be seen in the first photo but is not in the second photo.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 12/10/2016 12:04:09
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2016 :  14:35:53  Show Profile
This is what I now have for the use of the ice box. I have all the parts from the original system of the ice box. They are in the collection of past projects. The ice box could have been insullated at the factory so I did it. It now works great. Had to remove the countertop for holes for the straw feed of the insullation can which then filled in the voids after inclosing the box with 2inch ridged foam. Added second drain in other corner of the ice box to completely drain the box. Tried to plumb both sink and ice box using the single drain. Nothing worked well. In the 79 the drain is placed bad and not easy to work on so changed the gate valve and added a brass pipe long enougn to be higher than the water line. To this I attached the drain for the sink only and it works great. Now this is how I went with the ice box drains. Used clear tubing with a tee and put the drain into a plastic box with a secured top. One hole for the ice box drain and the other for tubing from a sump pump with a float switch. The pump hose now is fed up and over the cable hose for the swing keel cable. A pump switch, lighted with manual and off and auto positions, is just below the counter edge. It works! The box keeps ice and takes care of it's self. We spent almost 4 weeks in the NW and had to replace ice a few times. The ice chest with drinks and extra foods had to have a lot more ice and drained often.
Should I put in pictures? This is my idea that works for me and now the ice box doesn't fill up with sink water.

Go to Top of Page

bjoye
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2016 :  09:15:40  Show Profile
Islander

Thanks for the note and the pictures. That helps a lot. Now things are starting to make sense. As they say, nothing that money can't fix.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2016 :  10:01:37  Show Profile
We are here to help if possible. I wish my boat wasn't in the boatyard all covered for winter. I would have taken many pic,s of the sink/ice box plumbing. Pictures are truly worth more than words. That said the sink never will drain very fast because it's barely above the waterline. It will drain slowly at best so don't think something is wrong. Make sure the hoses all run downhill to.

Go to Top of Page

bjoye
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Response Posted - 01/25/2017 :  11:31:57  Show Profile
Just a followup. The thru hull ball valve under the stove is indeed a 3/4" NPT. I purchased a 3/4" elbow and it fit correctly. Also purchase a 3/4" sink drain assembly flange straight from CD. Decided not to plumb the ice box and use it as storage.

I think the PO had used a 1" 90 deg sink drain assembly to avoid rubbing the top drawer against the sink hose. He then converted from 1" to 3/4" at the ball valve. Sometime after, the sink flange broke off, leaving a puzzle for the next owner.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/25/2017 :  14:15:26  Show Profile
Thanks for the follow up. Sometimes we are left hanging on the outcome. Glad you got it sorted out.

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 01/25/2017 :  17:46:05  Show Profile
As for the check valve, i put an expandable plug in the icebox drain (available at any hardware store), skipped the non-functioning check valve, and added insulation from underneath. I'm happy with
the results.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 01/25/2017 :  17:48:38  Show Profile
PS: Reducing image size will prevent widening the thread beyond my little 15" screen.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page