Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mainsheet traveler control
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/19/2016 :  15:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi guys,

Just now, my mainsheet is hooked up to the traveler car, (stock setup) but I don't yet have traveler car controls installed. I just took a turn around the end of the traveler bar and tied off with a half hitch. While I think this setup would work, I would rather do it right with proper controls. So, do you guys like the stock controls or do you like the new ones available from CD.? Thanks again. And no, I have not yet tried sailing her the way she is presently setup. Still waiting for my mainsail to be fixed right.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  03:33:59  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
on the schools 25 with the stock traveller, we hardly ever adjust it, just leave it centered. being so short, the only advantage i can see to it is to haul the car abouve the centerline for a closer sheeting angle. Id have no problem sailing with it tied up in the center.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  04:22:34  Show Profile
I have to agree with Todd, I rarely move it unless I'm trying to get a few more degrees closer to the wind. If it was the full width of the boat it would be a better tool for sail adjustments.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  06:48:57  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks guys,

That would have been my next question. Our traveler bar being so short, I was wondering just how much you needed to move the car to see a meaningful result. Leaving it tied saves me about $125 and the way I have it tied up I can still adjust it if needed. Just not quite as conveniently as with real controls. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  07:09:40  Show Profile
Unless you plan on moving the traveler to a mid ship location I would just put the original back into working order with the stock parts and save the money. I don't see any point in upgrading the stock traveler being that it is short. Not much bang for the money. Still I like to have everything working as it should on my boat so to me its worth a few bucks to at least put it back to original. If and when you go to sell the boat the next guy might look at the jury rigged traveler and get turned off.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 10/20/2016 07:12:46
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  07:54:47  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks again,

That may be enough reason to install the controls. And $125 isn't going to break the bank.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  08:08:25  Show Profile
When ordering a new C25, a traveler was not an option. That suggests that the designers considered an adjustable traveler indispensible to efficient boat performance.

Having said that, many sailors are content to fix their traveler in the center. In fact, I also did that at first until I learned how to use it.

Whether you're a racer or a cruiser, all sailors enjoy making the boat perform well. Some cruisers will spend alot to buy a new mainsail or jib on the suspicion that theirs is blown out. Repairing and using the traveler will often do as much to improve performance, and at much less cost than a new sail.

When a boat is sailing closehauled, the traveler should usually be adjusted so that the boom is pointing aft along the centerline of the boat. Trimming it higher than the centerline doesn't improve pointing, but it does increase drag. To get the boom to point along the centerline, the traveler car has to be adjusted to weather of the center. If you fix the traveler car in the center, you're giving up maximum pointing ability, because, with the traveler car fixed in the center, the boom will be oriented to leeward of the centerline.

If you fix the traveler car, you're also giving up the ability to play the traveler up and down with the gusts, to help keep the boat on it's feet. You can play the mainsheet in and out in the gusts, but that changes the shape of the mainsail in a way that isn't helpful. By easing the traveler, you don't change the shape of the mainsail. You only change it's angle of attack.

A traveler should be long enough so that the traveler car can be pulled to weather enough so that the boom points along the boat's centerline. Since it's counterproductive to trim it any further to weather, it doesn't need to be any longer. The designers knew that when they decided how long to make it.

One of the best discussions I have seen of the traveler is by Jeff_H in post #6 of this link. http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-purchase-forum/10016-proper-use-traveler.html

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/20/2016 08:11:11
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  08:31:34  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Okay,

Thanks again Steve. Your insight is always helpful and most welcome. So yes, I will reinstall the controls. But so far, no one has said if they have any experience with the new design offered by CD. They are mounted directly onto the traveler bar and CD claims they are easier to use than the original controls. And certainly more easily installed. Thanks again everyone.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  10:45:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

Okay,

Thanks again Steve. Your insight is always helpful and most welcome. So yes, I will reinstall the controls. But so far, no one has said if they have any experience with the new design offered by CD. They are mounted directly onto the traveler bar and CD claims they are easier to use than the original controls. And certainly more easily installed. Thanks again everyone.

Bladeswell

I haven't used the traveler bar upgrade, but, looking at the picture, I don't see enough benefit to justify spending $275. and the labor to install it.

But, looking through the CD catalogue, there's a Harken kit that I think would be a nice improvement. It's part no. D1883, priced 123.52. As you can see from the diagram, the kit leads the control lines forward to a place in the cockpit, so that, instead of having to twist your upper body around to adjust the traveler, you can adjust it from the cockpit, while looking forward. Our most skilled racing member, Derek Crawford, installed a similar system on his boat and loved it. I never used his system, because, with practice, I became comfortable with the stock system, but don't doubt that it would be helpful.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  18:04:34  Show Profile
I would recommend reinstalling your old traveler or the cheaper one from CD. Practice using it when the gusts hit by letting it off so the car will fall away from the wind. The boat will lose some heal but keep tracking straight because the top of the sail will open up and spill wind. It is a little easier to do if you dry lube the bar and traveler and rig the traveler sheet with hardware that goes forward towards the winch. If it stays gusty you can keep the car down or as winds lighten up pull it back to center.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  19:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

Some how I must have not described the traveler control good enough. It isn't a traveler bar upgrade. It is controls that bolt on to the traveler bar uprights. And I believe they are $54 each not $275. Also, in the diagram, on my boat I have scoop air vents where the turning blocks would need to go. That's part of why I was looking at the traveler bar mounted controls. Thanks everyone.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2016 :  03:16:42  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

And I believe they are $54 each not $275.

Bladeswell

well that's not terribly expensive for sailboat hardware. If you want to use the traveler, then that option sounds good.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2016 :  11:01:25  Show Profile
Here's an idea from the C-22 crowd who race. Many of us run the traveler control lines to a turning block (cheek block) mounted inside the transom, then down to the floor and forward to the center of the cockpit seats and up to a clam cleat there. That way, either the helmperson or a crew person can adjust the traveler. In the diagram above, you would have a small cheek block on the inside of the transom about where the eye straps on top are. The line would run down to the corners at the rear of the cockpit to eye straps with single swivel blocks, forward to turning blocks close to the bottom center of the benches, then up. 1/4" or 5/16" line with plastic line stoppers or several stopper knots for gripping will do it. See fourth photo in the link below, and the photo to the right of the red hull photos:

www.chipford.com%25252Fmidwinters_02.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=9pk0bRxoAMvfVM%253A%252ChbqontZ8tHxOJM%252C_&usg=__oTxQ2x4Ue4MSaGBiHeSYEb6kguw%3D&dpr=1&ved=0ahUKEwjzx_GCsYrQAhUHKCYKHWHLCZgQyjcIPQ&ei=oAUaWPP3HofQmAHhlqfACQ#imgrc=9pk0bRxoAMvfVM%3A" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/search?q=barney+post+on+catalina+22&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS716US716&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=794&tbm=isch&imgil=9pk0bRxoAMvfVM%253A%253BhbqontZ8tHxOJM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.chipford.com%25252Fmidwinters_02.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=9pk0bRxoAMvfVM%253A%252ChbqontZ8tHxOJM%252C_&usg=__oTxQ2x4Ue4MSaGBiHeSYEb6kguw%3D&dpr=1&ved=0ahUKEwjzx_GCsYrQAhUHKCYKHWHLCZgQyjcIPQ&ei=oAUaWPP3HofQmAHhlqfACQ#imgrc=9pk0bRxoAMvfVM%3A

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 11/02/2016 08:32:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page