Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New Outboard
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/19/2016 :  13:40:06  Show Profile
Just got my new Tohatsu 9.8hp delivered and put on the boat! Used Onlineoutboards.com and was very pleased. Even though there was some delay getting the motor in due the storms, it arrived in less than a week from ordering and they were great to deal with. Planning to get oil in it, wire it up and start the break in process tomorrow. I will say, this motor is definitely larger and heavier than the 6hp I just sold to Steve. I'm going to try to rig a block and tackle to help raise it during the remainder of the season and am considering a stronger mount next spring. Are there any options for adding an additional spring to my existing mount? Anyway, real excited to hear it start up!

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2016 :  14:40:21  Show Profile
You will LOvE that motor, assuming it is elec start and 25" shaft! You will need 3 springs on the mount, 4 will be too much.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 10/19/2016 14:40:47
Go to Top of Page

capted
1st Mate

Members Avatar

39 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2016 :  14:48:12  Show Profile
I replaced my old 2-cycle Mercury with a new 4-cycle at the beginning of the season. Since the boat was already in the water, I didn't want to try and replace the motor mount. I bought a heavy spring at Home Depot, drilled a small hole in the port side of the motor mount and slid the end of the spring in. I then connected the top of the spring to the nearby vertical strut of the rear pulpit. I threaded the spring through a 1 inch SS circle, then clamped the circle to the strut using a SS hose clamp. Moving the clamp up increases the tension on the spring. This has worked all season, making it easier to lift the new motor than the old one. However, I'll probably start next season with a stronger motor mount since my lashup may have some risk of a clamp coming loose. I'm not sure how to post a pic, but can e-mail a photo to anyone who is interested.

Ed
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2016 :  15:22:32  Show Profile
quote:
Are there any options for adding an additional spring to my existing mount?

Yes, Given you can find the parts and do some fabricating. I added 2 springs on the outboard sides of my 2 spring mount by stealing a spring from an old used mount I picked up cheep. I cut the spring in half, extended the hinge bolts on my mount and mounted the two donor springs on the outside of my mount. Works good picking up my Honda 9.9. I still have to pull up but I'm not going to herniate myself anymore Wow you didn't have the 6hp for long.
Donor mount

My mount with added springs

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  11:32:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Wow you didn't have the 6hp for long.
Donor mount

Shoot, we ran it for 3 strong years. Put around 70hrs on it and we usually only operate it for a brief time leaving our creek for about 10mins for every time we go out. Not too bad!

Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  18:04:45  Show Profile
go to technical tip and look under "cokie bear" for a spring helper
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  18:06:45  Show Profile
Got two hours of break in complete tonight. The motor really pushes the boat with ease. We were doing 5kts at 1/3rd throttle into a fresh breeze and chop. So I can pull the motor up with some strength but definitely too difficult for the fiancé. Going to try and put a purchase on it for the rest of the season but I don't see a better recourse than a new motor mount (mines only a 1 spring). I just hope the bolts line up and it's not too difficult to do with the boat in the water.

Go to Top of Page

bjoye
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2016 :  08:03:44  Show Profile
Same engine here, electric start, 25" shaft. Had the original 2 spring mount. Could barely lift it out of the water. Installed a 4 spring mound from CD last month. Much better. Specs say the engine with electric start is at ~94 pounds. According to CD, the cutoff from a 3 spring to 4 spring mount is 95 pounds. So you can go with either. With a 4 spring mount, it just pops right out of the water. But you do need to give it a little push to put it in the water. Also, don't forget to order the transom backing rails. Thats a lot of weight cantilevered of the back.

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2016 :  10:09:58  Show Profile
When I bought my Tohatsu 9.8 25/elect start in 2007 I also replaced the engine mount with a three spring purchased from CD. The holes lined up perfectly -- an easy swap out.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2016 :  05:12:57  Show Profile
I'm not planning to haul in the spring, just do a scrub of the bottom. How difficult is this job with the boat in the water?

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2016 :  09:04:59  Show Profile
It shouldn't be bad in the water, especially if you have another person to hold it in place while you get to the bolts in the quarterberth. You might want to have one or two extra bolts as insurance against the ones you might donate to King Neptune at the worst time... (I assume the CD bracket comes with stove-bolts that hold themselves from turning as you tighten from inside.)

(EDIT: I guess not--just looked, and the holes are round instead of square. You'll need somebody to hold them outside or somebody to tighten the nuts inside.)

When I put a new bracket on for my hefty new Honda, I added a Starboard plate under the bracket to spread the leverage load on the transom, particularly to below the bracket. I sealed the perimeter of the board, and bedded the bracket against it. All of that would be an easier job on the hard. I got a yard guy with a forklift and a pallet to raise me and the motor up to the level to mount it on the bracket--a whole lot easier than two guys on ladders--I know! The $5 tip was some of the best money I ever spent!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/24/2016 09:13:59
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2016 :  09:51:39  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I changed the 2 spring mount with a 4 spring mount while my boat was in it's finger slip. It was not a problem. The holes lined up perfectly and I just slipped the bolts in while I had a safety line connected to the bracket. The studs held fine while I shimmied into the quarter-berth and attached the washers and nuts. I also had a reinforcement plate from Catalina Direct but it did not line up with the holes. I wound up using a piece of starboard that I attached between the transom and the mount to provide some addl reinforcement. I did this back in early 2006 and have never touched the studs, etc - Been rock solid all this time.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2016 :  10:12:31  Show Profile
I thought he was asking about scrubbing the bottom in the spring with the boat in the water. swapping out the mount shouldn't be hard, Just don't drop anythng.

Edited by - islander on 10/24/2016 10:35:38
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2016 :  08:41:26  Show Profile
I changed out the mount while Recess was in the water. It was not too hard. A second pair of hands will be a definite plus. In my case, I did have to drill two new holes and fill in two as my replacement mount hole pattern was different.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2016 :  11:22:00  Show Profile
quote:
I did have to drill two new holes and fill in two as my replacement mount hole pattern was different.

I was going to give a heads up on the holes. The majority have found that the holes are the same but a few have said that they had to drill some new holes. So it's probably better to say that More than likely the new mount will fit the old mount holes.

Edited by - islander on 10/25/2016 11:23:55
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2016 :  05:33:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by panhead1948

go to technical tip and look under "cokie bear" for a spring helper

I just took a look at this and immediately was thinking about ways to accomplish it because it certainly seems reasonable enough.

Then, I thought about the type of spring that would be required to have enough travel to go down far enough to allow the motor to lower into the water as well as have enough tension to assist pulling it back up. That spring would need to be under a lot of tension and guess what, it's aimed right at your face when something fails.

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2016 :  10:26:25  Show Profile
I had to drill new holes because I bought a Fulton instead of the more expensive mount from CD. I did get a very strong mount, but if I had it to do over again, I would buy the CD (Garhauer) mount.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page