Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Sail Number?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimV
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/13/2016 :  09:02:39  Show Profile  Visit JimV's Homepage
When I bought my C25 it had a new main with no sail number on the sail. Is the sail number the same as the hull number?

Thanks

Jim

Jim
Eugene, OR
"Caerulea" - 1980 C25 SR/SK #1720

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2016 :  09:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Jim,

The short answer is yes it should be the same as the hull number. However, sometimes an owner may buy a used sail from another boat which means it could very likely have that boats number on it. I hope this was helpful.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2016 :  10:51:01  Show Profile
Usually the number on your sail is the hull number. It identifies your boat, and the Coasties can often use it to determine who owns it, if necessary.

However, US Sailing also issues numbers that are used by racers to identify their boats. Other sailing associations also do so, such as the Royal Yachting Association. When a race committee is scoring boats as they cross the finish line, and two white colored boats of the same class cross the finish line in succession, the sail numbers permit the RC to correctly identify each boat.

Sail numbers are required for racing, but I've never heard of any legal requirement for them on a cruising boat, but it's a good thing to have them, in case the Coasties find your boat empty, and adrift.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Bill Holcomb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
769 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2016 :  10:51:53  Show Profile
Hi Jim,
Bladeswell is right on.
If you have a mainsail with no number on it and you want to race your boat, simply use the numbers located on the metal plaque on your transom below the tiller. The sail number helps identify boats as they finish - especially if there are a bunch of boats close together at the finish line. BTW - any sailmaker can supply you with the appropriate numbers - the numbers have stick-on backs that "glue" the numbers to the sail.
If you don't intend to race, there is little need for the sail number.
Bill Holcomb - C25 Snickerdoodle #4839
Go to Top of Page

JimV
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2016 :  14:19:48  Show Profile  Visit JimV's Homepage
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was wanting to know :)

Jim
Eugene, OR
"Caerulea" - 1980 C25 SR/SK #1720
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2016 :  18:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello again,

Thanks Bill and Steve. I had not given any thought to racing identification purposes. Not being a racer I didn't think in terms of the bigger picture. Thanks for helping .

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2016 :  20:13:50  Show Profile
And as far as I know, the USCG will go on the registration number at the bow on the hull, or for "documented" vessels, the name and hail-port. After all, something like 80% of vessels out there don't have sails, so don't have sail numbers. And sail numbers are only meaningful if you know the make and model. And over half the sailboats don't have sails up. Sail numbers are for racing. Period.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/13/2016 20:15:56
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2016 :  09:14:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

And as far as I know, the USCG will go on the registration number at the bow on the hull, or for "documented" vessels, the name and hail-port. After all, something like 80% of vessels out there don't have sails, so don't have sail numbers. And sail numbers are only meaningful if you know the make and model. And over half the sailboats don't have sails up. Sail numbers are for racing. Period.

If a sailboat is reported missing and the coasties are searching for it by air, they can identify it easily by the sail numbers. Registration numbers aren't nearly so visible from a distance, if the boat is displaying them at all.

If a nearby boat sees a boat in distress, he probably won't be able to see it's registration numbers or boat name, but he might be able to read its sail numbers, to report it to the coasties.

Sail numbers are a useful device for identifying a boat from a distance, regardless of whether you're a racer or cruiser.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2016 :  14:07:15  Show Profile
True, if the sail is up. I don't recall seeing pictures or video of a boat "in distress" with its sails still up, but there probably have been some.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2016 :  20:55:20  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

True, if the sail is up. I don't recall seeing pictures or video of a boat "in distress" with its sails still up, but there probably have been some.

Now, if they had a number on that sail...

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2016 :  21:12:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Panza

Now, if they had a number on that sail...

USCG: "Sector San Diego, M-five-one: We have three masts with sails sticking up--which one was the number of the Mayday call?"

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/18/2016 21:24:38
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2016 :  08:07:59  Show Profile
Ouch!

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  12:42:10  Show Profile
Double ouch!!

Capt Sam, USCG Master Near Coastal
Isle of Hope, GA. Charleston,SC. Lake Murray, SC.
Aboard Bobbin - 1982 Standard Rig-Swing Keel #2963 Dinette Model
"On a powerboat you are going somewhere....On a Sailboat you are Already There!" Capt Sam

http://my.boatus.com//memberPhotos/6315398_1_25502.jpg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page