Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Catalina 25 #89 is alive and well!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/05/2016 :  07:15:10  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
Actually, I guess "well" is a relative term. It's getting better!
In reality the boat is in pretty good shape it was just left alone in its slip for a while. It's our first "big" sailboat (I know, big is also relative). We also have a Lido 14 and the 25 is MUCH bigger.

We've been spending all our spare time cleaning everything up. The wife has to have it spotless before she'll stay on it. I've also been doing little things here and there to it. We've yet to do any real cleaning outside yet besides cleaning out the cockpit scuppers and the windows. It lives in a slip at the marina which is a 15 minute walk from our house so it's been fun to visit the boat almost daily.

It made it through the first rain with no signs of leakage though that may not be a good thing as we want to find out where previous leaks came from. It does look like it's most likely stanchions or the Genoa track (I've got a big roll of butyl tape ready for the job.)

Here is my present to-do list for the boat (besides addressing the possible leaks):
  • Install some sort of master switch/breaker for the shore power (I couldn't believe this is absent and there is no hole in the panel like one ever existed.)
  • Install automatic bilge pump (including auto/manual switch and mechanical counter on the auto-loop. All is purchased.
  • Install a charger/converter for when on shore-power (like an RV one.) Right now I have a charger/tender hooked up and we only hook up shore power while on the boat.
  • Locate or fabricate a dropping table post and support leg.
  • Finish cleaning paint off of bulkhead and refinishing it (yes, someone painted over the teak veneer!)
  • Install the pop-top power lift that came with the boat.
  • Locate/install a hatch adjuster for the hatch.
  • Replace both of the marelon ball valve fixtures that have froze (and one had a handle snap.) I have multiple divers in the family that are going to assist by putting plungers over the thru-hulls whle the old valve units are swapped out.
  • Tunes! Gotta have my tunes!
We also bought the canvas-worker's book and am looking at getting the wife a Sailrite machine so she can do custom canvas stuff for the boat (companionway cover, instrument covers, re-cover cushions, and much, much more.

So, obviously have our work cut out for us and I'm sure we'll find more to do with it. We got a great deal on the boat so I don't mind spending some money on it to get it to where I want it. Not to mention just making everything right for peace of mind.

C-25 #89 - Dos Kilo$, 1977 SR/FK/"L" Interior
Tim & Nikki, Lake Oroville CA USA

Edited by - OrovilleTim on 10/05/2016 07:24:56

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2016 :  13:57:50  Show Profile
Congratulations on bringing the girl back to the dance..........

Definitely, get everything cleaned up. Get the boat in a safe condition, get the outboard running, and as long as the running rigging and sails are useable, get her out on the water.

Ya know, if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there. At least that's what they said in the movie.........

Jokes aside, you can fix the annoyances later. Also, post pictures with your questions, makes it much easier to figure out what you have.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2016 :  15:11:26  Show Profile
That's a classic--not much newer than Chuck Shaw's hull number ONE! Great that you're bringing her back in time to celebrate her 40th birthday!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/05/2016 15:12:55
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2016 :  21:50:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OrovilleTim
Not to mention just making everything right for peace of mind.

Welcome to the forums, Tim!

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 10/05/2016 21:51:21
Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2016 :  07:29:30  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
Thanks for the welcomes! Took some time out from the boring but important stuff to mount this on the newly "unpainted" starboard bulkhead...

Yesterday was a good day as far as the boat goes as I found out Forespar is providing replacements for my older marelon fittings with new ones for free, swapped out all my cabin lights with LED, lots of stuff showed from Amazon (all new dock lines, etc.), and the wife let me get a new live-aboard mini shop vac for the boat. T'was a very good day indeed!

The wife has complained about the gas smell in the cabin so I think I'll move my vent cowl replacement up the list. Or maybe I should really play the "you know, with solar vents you wouldn't smell that" angle, haha. I have new Nicro vents already waiting to go in but I think they take 6 screws and the ones now only have 3 (IIRC.) Just wasn't ready to make more holes yet.

Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2016 :  08:18:38  Show Profile
Hi Tim!

Congrats on Dos Kilos!! You will have fun with her!

Hurricane Matthew is aimed at Confetti, so Friday you may end up the oldest still sailing hull in a couple of days#128546; We keep her at the Patrick AFB marina which is about 1/2 mile from the Atlantic near Cocoa Beach.

Again, congrats on DK!!!!!!

Chuck

Chuck Shaw
Confetti
Cat 25, hull#1
1976 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2016 :  08:33:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cshaw

...Hurricane Matthew is aimed at Confetti, so Friday you may end up the oldest still sailing hull in a couple of days...
Chuck: Noooooooooooo!!

Tim: Wow--that teak looks better than I imagined! But what's this "gas smell?" Vent or no vent, I don't like the sound of that.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2016 :  08:50:56  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter
Tim: Wow--that teak looks better than I imagined! But what's this "gas smell?" Vent or no vent, I don't like the sound of that.

Thanks. I had to pull off all the latex paint, pick at it with dental tools, then sanded it with a 320 grain to make it all uniform. Then I did three teak oil massages, haha. A labor of love! I looks better than the rest of the boat and still working on the port side.

The gasoline smell is from the dumpster. The cowl vent on the port side is smashed closed and there are sealing "opportunities" between the cabin and the compartment where you can see daylight. The tank is about 3/4 full and that area gets good sunshine a lot of the day so I suspect the fuel expands quite a bit. It is definitely a gasoline smell but it only lasts the first couple minutes we open the cabin. Definitely need to fix it before we start huddling up in it in these cold California winters! It gets down into the high 30's sometimes, haha!

Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2016 :  08:56:12  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cshaw
Hurricane Matthew is aimed at Confetti, so Friday you may end up the oldest still sailing hull in a couple of days#128546; We keep her at the Patrick AFB marina which is about 1/2 mile from the Atlantic near Cocoa Beach.

You must not let that happen! I was bragging to a couple local Cat 25 lovers about how #1 was alive and well. One was amazed that I had 89 and I had to let him know "that ain't nothing!" and told him about seeing Confetti on Facebook.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2016 :  10:35:15  Show Profile
Your boat doesn't have a dedicated fuel locker. The fuel tank sits on a shelf inside the dumpster and fumes can easily enter the cabin from there. Try closing the tank vent when you aren't using the engine. It should help.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2016 :  16:46:46  Show Profile
Fixing/replacing the vent will fix that problem. My tank is on the shelf and the vent is in good shape and I rarely get a smell in the cabin . . . . on;y when healing over 20 degrees AND with a fun tank. Enjoy the boat: they are well built and fun to sail!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2016 :  20:00:17  Show Profile
Congratulations on getting on board. As you can see there are a bunch of owners and past owners that can help. Im one too with my 79 C25, Snowbird. The boat is in it's shed at Lake Almanor. Ill watch the Forum to give you what ever so you can proceed with the rest of us. We have just spent 3 weeks on a NW Cruise and still enjoy the boat. The boat has always been mine with a lot of ideas and help from the Forum. Again congratulation.

Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2016 :  05:43:20  Show Profile
Chuck, I hope the news is good. Tim, move the tank to the cockpit, anchor it there and be done with gas smells. There are lots of tank tie down kits. Mine had hard Marlon corners for the sole and straps over the tank.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2016 :  08:47:03  Show Profile
I'm currently looking at a live camera feed on Youtube from a storm-chaser in Cocoa Beach--doesn't look too bad. He just reported a downed power line in the parking lot for the "Trump campaign headquarters"... Otherwise, power seems to be pretty much OK. Haven't seen any marinas, though.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/07/2016 08:53:48
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2016 :  20:49:54  Show Profile
Welcome aboard Tim. Dale and I are in Nevada City and have sailed on Oroville lots of times with the Gold Country Yacht Club. I would recommend you put the gas tank in the cockpit. The gas fumes will permeate the interior wood and cushions/fabric while the boat is closed up. We have been sailing Catalina sailboats for over 30 years and are now on our fifth C25. We keep our boat at Stockton Sailing Club 7 months a year, and snowbird to Lake Pleasant, AZ the other 5 months trailering the boat there. Just got back from a 7 day cruise around the Delta last week with our friends who also own a C25, and it was great fun. Focus on safety and having fun. FYI I think the pop top struts are one of the most useful items we upgraded our boat with.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2016 :  09:40:10  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
It's neat to find all the semi-local folks popping up!

The reason for the gas smell (well, besides one cowl vent being smashed closed defeating the air-flow effect) was the vent on the tank was left unscrewed (open)! If it wasn't for several concerns I'd put the tank in the cockpit but I'm sure with a working ventilation system (appropriate vents in the mail now, the two new ones that came with the boat were for newer 25s and don't fit) and better sealing of the dumpster wall behind the galley it won't be a big deal. Well, keeping the fuel vent closed will definitely help too.

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2016 :  12:43:10  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Tim,

And welcome to the forum. My boat is a "79" also with the gas tank on a ledge at the aft end of the dumpster. I don't get any fuel smell in the cabin from it but it sounds like you have it figured out already. BTW, I moved my Mother to southern California from Paradise just about two years ago now. Beautiful country around Oroville. Best of luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2016 :  17:50:32  Show Profile
Sorry if I missed the answer, but where did you get the heel ometer?

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2016 :  18:39:19  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Akenumber

Sorry if I missed the answer, but where did you get the heel ometer?

Sorry about that. I saw one on a blog and I wanted one really bad and looked everywhere and I finally found this one on eBay. I found lots of places that people were referred to that were supposed to be selling them but most of the links were dead as they were old posts, etc. I wish you luck on your quest for one!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page