Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Main sail foot length update
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/26/2016 :  16:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi guys,

I picked up my sails today from the sail loft and as it turns out the main sails foot length is actually shorter than stock by about an inch. So back at the boat, I measured my boom. My owners manual says the boom should be 10'3". My boom measures 9'7". 8 inches shorter. Though I didn't actually bad mouth Yager Sails, I did come close so my apologies to Yager. My guess is that one of the POs shortened it because they had also changed it to mid boom sheeting. Wanting the boat stock, I removed it and returned it to boom end sheeting. So, is the short boom going to cause me any problems other than my original out haul problem ? Thanks for your thoughts.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

WesAllen
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
222 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2016 :  17:59:31  Show Profile
When I received my new main from Doyle Sails in Detroit it also was a tad shorter than my original. But alas my old sail is stretched a bit. Still a lot better sailing with the new sail. IMHO your boom shortened should not be a problem with your main sheet location as it is.

Wesley Allen
"Breaking Wind"
1982 C-25 SR/TR/SK #2773
Hemlock, MI
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2016 :  10:29:49  Show Profile
Well actually the stock boom length for both tall and standard is 10'4" This is for the extrusion only not counting the end cap or gooseneck cap. If your extrusion length is 9'7" then the PO must have cut it down and this is why your mainsail foot takes up all of the boom and leaves you with only enough room to tie it off to the end cap and no room to put in an outhaul. The standard foot of the main is 9.58", Tall or standard. Is your main sail foot that length or close? Next is to measure the luff. Standard is 24.66 and Tall is 27.66. If your luff is one of those measurements than I would say you have a standard sized mainsail and it is not custom. Can't blame the sailmaker for making a standard sized sail. I would guess the PO cut the boom, Moved the traveler and possibly moved the boom up to gain headroom and space in the cockpit. Maybe for a Bimini? The only problem I can see is you wont have an outhaul. This is not a bad thing if the sail is a boltrope foot. The other problem is with the shorter boom it puts the mainsheet on even a lower angle running through the cockpit.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2016 :  11:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Back Again,

Hi Scott, my Main sail's luff length is 26'9" as measured by the sail loft.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2016 :  12:33:29  Show Profile
Well I would safely say it's not a standard rig sail. It could be a standard tall rig sail that the PO had made with a shorter luff to raise the boom. Easily done with your sliding goose neck.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page